Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY EQ Plus Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY EQ Plus
W2IHY EQ Plus Reviews: 136 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $TBD
Description: The processing power of a full-blown audio rack in a single compact, shack-friendly component.

You can write your own review of the W2IHY EQ Plus.

WA3LLF Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 14:00 Send this review to a friend
QRP and EQplus. An awsome combo  Time owned: more than 12 months
This machine is the best thing since sliced bread!
I use mine with QRP and the reports are nothing less than remarkable. How about 3 watts from KC4AAA Geographical South pole and a 5/7 report.
I just received a 59 report from St Croix and the op wouldn't believe that I was running 1 watt.
Great work Julius.
BUY ONE - you'll love it
N4FN Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2013 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit, Outstanding service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Julius not only produces one fine piece of gear but his service IMO is probably one of the best if not the best in the industry. I had a configuration issue and Julius called me several times and I called him for some on the air testing until he figured out the problem. I can not say anything but great things about his products and his incredible customer service. Others could take lessons from him. The EQ Plus was a great investment.
73 Neil N4FN
KE3VG Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Product, Best Customer Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using W2IHYís 8-Band Equalizer and EQPlus for more than 6 month now so I have gain enough experience to write this review. So far here are my observations and opinion.
- Does make a big difference in the transmit Audio Quality, it does not matter which radio or microphone, or RF power you are using. Per my experience, I have broken so many DX pileups, running vertical antenna, 100 watts of RF and W2IHY gears. I have been told numerous times by the DX stations, they heard me with my S4 or S5 signal, despite the presence of other S9+ signals, because of the audio modulation quality of my signals.This proves that the 8 band Equalizer and EQ plus is making a big difference in how you being heard by DX station. I have DX stations call me to find out what type of equipment I am using, especially audio equipment. Also, it is funny that they call me and ask about their audio quality because they think that I am an audio expert because of my transmit signal audio quality, which I am not.
- It accepts all types of microphones, Dynamic and Cordial, provides phantom power as needed.
- It does support all type of built in microphone plugs from all major brand of Radio available in market
- It provides the sets of options; i.e. Equalizer, Processor, Noise Gate, radio switching, microphone switching, etc. Especially I seat so close to AC in basement, the noise gate is big help to remove all the noise caused by air handler.
- Best of all: Julius Jones, the owner of W2IHY gears, provides the best service in the Amateur radio market, in fact best of any market. I my case, he have assisted me several times to decide on what type of gears I need, what setting needs to be adjusted with different radios and microphones, even assist me on air to adjust my gears for best possible sounding station. I would buy any product from Julius without thinking twice.
- 8 band equalizer and EQPlus are not rack mountable. So it does take extra space on desk. Since you adjust it one time and forget it, I would like to have it rack mountable. Being on desk, it is possible to accidentally hit the controls and change happens without your knowledge.
- Same with foot print of the gears, I like to have a smaller foot print equalizer and processor available for my mobile setup. The existing gears are too big in my opinion.
Summary: Overall, I am very happy customer of W2IHY gears; it has a great quality and the best customer service available in market. I have changed several radios and antennas over the years but one thing will always stay in my shack is W2IHY gears.
In case you are wondering what I use, here is my equipment list. Yeasu FT 1000 MP, Ftdx 5000 MP, StepIrís Big IR vertical antenna. W2ITHY 8 band Equalizer + EQPlus, RODE Procaster microphone, HEIL PR-781 Microphone. If you ever need more details on W2IHY gears, please feel free to contact me via email.
I am giving 5 out of 5 to W2IHY product review.
WC3W Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Best Investment I have made in years  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Fellow Ham Radio Operators-I attended the Orlando Hamfest and bumped into Julius, W2IHY for a very short period of time as we were about to return back to South Florida QTH. As I had made many purchases already, I decided to wait in purchasing the EQplus and 8 band equializer. I own a Yeasu DX-5000 and employ a QRO linear amplifier in my shack. The DX-5000 has some nice audio internals. Howerver, upon returning home, I decided what the heck, I only live once so I ordered both the EQplus and 8 band equalizer. A good friend of mine had mentioned to me in Orlando what a great "reputation" Julius had in supporting his products. Well, I am here to tell you that his support in helping me set this equipment up is probably the best customer service I have experienced my entire ham career which has been many, many years (liscenced in 1960). The documentation was outstanding but even with it, I had a number of questions. I called Julius on the land line, and he walked me through the initial set up. I had some issues on the rear audio input on my DX-5000, and he sent me an audio cable that would allow me to use my newly purchased Heil PA-40 directly into the front plug on the DX-5000. This is the amazing part--after we set it up, he asked me to get on 20 meters and on two separate occasions, with telephone in hand, and rig tuned to 14.170, I tested, he recorded, he analyzed on his Flex 5000, he instructed me to change many settings, he played back my audio (over the telephone), and we iterated until all the setting were perfect for integration of my Heil mike, my voice, my DX-5000! My audio now as reported by local hams is simply amazing and I am sure it will help me in the difficult DX pileups! If you would like to contact me for further details, please do so on and my email address. Again, this is customer service at it's very best--I love the product as well! It is the best investment I have made in a long time! Good DX'ing 73 Mark WC3W
N4JBK Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Had to have it and I love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was brand new to he audio game when I spoke with Julius at the Orlando hamfest. He asked about my station and sat me down at his booth, while many others were waiting mind you, and said okay here is what you sound like now and HERE IS WHAT YOU WILL SOUND LIKE AFTER YOU START USING THE EQ PLUS. He was right of course but being new to the audio game I had a problem or 2 that was mostly my fault. Julius walked me through the issues and everything worked even better than expected. It isn't hard to tell that I am a W2IHY fan and always will be.
AB9TX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2012 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mic Shaping  Time owned: more than 12 months
Added the EQ Plus a year ago for on the fly mic shaping.
The unsolicited audio report range from great to the "best I have ever heard" - good enough for me.
I had a intermittant after almost a year with the box, the downward expander had some distortion. I mailed it to his tech in Texas, he had problem duplicating the issue.
Julius replaced it with a new one, free.
If you find a better person in ham radio, or anywhere for that matter, let me know.
G0OJG Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic audio with punch  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my EQplus since August 2012 and from day one i have had very good results on the dx side,the EQplus gives me so much presence in pile ups i often get in after one or two calls were as before it was in the hands of the dx-gods.If you read through the reviews about this product you will hear people telling tales of the inverter Julius ringing them up to offer advice on any problems that they may encounter,well i sent Julius a email in the morning UK time"day of this Review"by the afternoon i had received a phone call from Julius and after a ten minute conversation with him he give me instructions on how to resolve my problem and sure enough my problem has now gone oh and it turned out not to be the EQplus.
Thank you Julius for a wonderful product and after service.Next on my list is the 8 band equalizer.
K6SPY Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Additional comments  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Today I had my first long-winded QSO on 20m after getting the settings honed in... I received a signal report of "Very loud audio, DX quality,not objectionable at all, wouldn't change a thing" report. Cannot get much better than that. I wish I had bought these products years ago.
N3QVB Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Long time user  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm listening to a recent podcast Julius did, and it prompted me to write this. I bought the 8 Band EQ and the EQ Plus about 5 years ago. At that time it was the best upgrade I had made to my station. Always positive comments about my audio, and being in disbelief I was only running barefoot into a G5RV at 35-feet. I was QRT from 2010 until March of this year as I moved from Philadelphia PA to the Nashville TN area. I have the same 100 watts with a G5RV up at 70-feet. Once again, glowing reports. What I love about these boxes is that the audio doesn't sound enhanced or processed. Very natural. You should definitely check it out.
WE5ST Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2012 13:51 Send this review to a friend
K3 never sounded better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Customer service - as good as any in any industry!
Build quality - ditto!
Price/Value - fair price, especially considering the level of service. Julius seems to think that if you buy his gear, new or used, you should own it and be happy with the device for life!

The K3 has a lot of audio options built in and certainly very good audio quality is only a matter of getting your K3 matched to your mic and voice.
That said, I believe the compression and Downward Expander (noise gating) of the EQplus is more effective than that built into the K3. Just my opinion.
For certain, the EQplus is more convenient to adjust on the fly. There are additional features of W2IHY box that are not included in the K3;
- 2 band EQ (bass & treble) for quick adjustments to conditions.
- front panel mic impedance matching
- 48V phantom power on/off
- independent mic and output gain
Back panel access is provided for two types of mic input, selectable output matching for Icom, Kenwood & Yaesu rigs. The Kenwood position matches the K3 if going to the front mic input of the K3.
I am using the W2IHY combo of 8 Band EQ and EQplus with my K3 in ESSB mode. Mic is an EV RE-20, a good quality dynamic mic. I have also used this combo with a good quality MXL condenser mic.
Bottom line = I consistently have stations call after hearing me in QSO with other stations with comments about my audio. Seems I have hit the sweet spot I was looking for. Not heavily processed but "adjusted and strengthened" to enhance my older voice.
At 63 yrs., seems my voice quality has migrated to mostly mid-tones, not a lot of dynamic range I guess.
Wish list - #1) combine the two products into one box, primarily adding the 8 eq sliders to the top of the EQplus. #2)Add more mic switching options for XLR and 1/4" inputs as well as the ability to switch multiple mics out to single or even multiple rigs.