Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Optibeam OB10-3W (high performing Yagi for 20, 17 and 15m) Help

Reviews Summary for Optibeam OB10-3W (high performing Yagi for 20, 17 and 15m)
Optibeam OB10-3W (high performing Yagi for 20, 17 and 15m) Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1.300 US $
Description: Performant Yagi designed as interlaced monobanders for 20/17/15m with patented feed system. Optimized computer designed German Yagi without traps and with full size elements. High gain and f/b ratio due to 25 Ohm design technique. High quality 1 : 2 balun included, design by WX0B. The OB10-3W has 3 el on 20, 3 el on 17 and 4 el on 15 meters on a 5.88 meter boom. A winner performer !
More info: http://http//www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB10-3W (high performing Yagi for 20, 17 and 15m).

G0TSH Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Quality construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used Cubical Quads for many years, the time had come to find an antenna that required less maintaenance.

I hate traps so any trapped antenna was out, i looked at the Steppir, but was put off with the items that could fail.

In the end Optibeam was my choice. Contacted Tom DF2BO ordered the antenna. I must say the communication was superb with Tom a pleasure to deal with.

Antenna arrived very well packaged, with in my view excellent instructions. The quality is superb
every part labelled for ease of construction, which probably took 4-5 hours over 2 days. SWR is well with in tolerances

Now to the main thing did it work? Oh my goodness it certainly does, FB is superb. I used it first on 20m looking for stns that had pile ups, first call into a pile up on VU2, KL7, HZ1 and a few others, despite the bands being poor i was working the DX with no problems , receiving excellent reports.Worked some nice DX on 17m as well.

All in all a superbly engineered antenna, made by people who care, who communicate clearly.

DL7AT Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 05:15 Send this review to a friend
OB10-3W  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello,

I bought the OB10-3W about two years ago. Best multiband antenna I ever had on 15/17/20m. The performance is like a monoband, solid made.
The description how to mount the antenna is perfect. SWR bandwith on 15/17/20 below 1,8 !
Good investment if you are looking for an antenna
for many years or your whole live with very good customer service guaranteed.

VE6DC Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2010 22:02 Send this review to a friend
jewel in the sky  Time owned: more than 12 months
I call it a jewel in the sky because this is a very good antenna.

Previously I used a Hy-Gain Explorer 14 which was for it's size and price a well performing antenna but after about 12 years of use in which it endured several major storms and
taking it apart and putting it back together several times due to relocating QTH the elements started to sag. I also did not like the traps because there is always a chance of moisture built up, bugs etc. and then they to get lossy or change the SWR.

I wanted no traps and certainly no maintenance.

This eham review website led me to the Optibeam website.

After a few inquiry emails back and forth with Optibeam I decided to buy the Optibeam 103W an antenna for 20, 17 and 15 meters.

A few weeks later I picked the package up at the Calgary airport where it arrived directly from Germany.
The antenna was well packed and because of the easy to follow manual it only took me about 4 hours to put it together.

I have been using this antenna for over 2 years now.
The first thing I noticed how quiet my receiver became and I decided to check if everything was hooked up right. But yes it was, it is just that good of an antenna. The F/B is just excellent and also the SWR, rain or shine.
I literally receive more weak stations because of this antenna. It is only 15 meters above ground level but I find it a super DX antenna with gain (compared to a vertical) from 3 to 40 degrees take off angle with the highest gain at 19 degrees. (12.7 dBi on 20)
Often I get compliments about my signal strength and I know now first hand what a good antenna does for your station.

Also mechanically it is a very good antenna. It went through a couple of major wind storms but not a problem.
This Spring we had freezing rain and the ends of the 20 meter elements where literally facing Z 0 but as the temperature rose during the day they went back to normal as if nothing had happened.

I am very happy with the Optibeam 103W.

Regards, Renze VE6DC

PA3GOS Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2009 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Second to none!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having this great antenna up for six months now it is time to write a review.

To start at the beginning, this antenna is very well packed and all parts are clearly marked. This, together with the clear manual, makes it as good as certain you can't make a mistake.

It took me quite a while to assemble because I did it partly in the garage and partly outside in dark, wet weather. Also, I have a very small backyard and had to mount some elements with the antenna on the mast (with the tower tilted over of course). But I am glad it could be done. And if you happen to drop a bolt, nut or washer in the grass, no worries, just grab another one.
Talking about bolts etc. everything just fits perfectly. You don't have to measure but if you do you will find the sizes to be correct within a millimeter.

On many places you can find that OptiBeam antenna's are built like a tank and they are!
A big advantage is that there are no moving parts. My estimate is that I won't have to do any maintenance to this antenna in many years to come.

When it comes to performance I can tell you to expect a broad SWR-bandwidth on all bands as well as a great radiation pattern across the bands. This is particularly important to supress local- and HAM-made QRM. The bands are less noisy and signals are as strong as can be expected or even stronger.. (I am already spoiled I think)

Tom and Diana's service is outstanding. Before and after the sale. Statements made in other OptiBeam reviews are certainly not exaggerated.

Below is a copy and paste from my homepage which is under construction...:

"When I hooked this antenna up for the first time, it seemed like a whole new solarcycle had kicked in. Of course, the tower was new for me as well but was still at the same level as my previous trapped tri-band Yagi.

The electrical winch lacked the power to crank the tower up… Then, after listening for a week or so, it was on Saturday December 13 2008, I had about 10 minutes left before I had to leave.

I decided to call CQ just one time and did not expect anyone to come back. Imagine my surprise when ZL1BOS answered with a booming 5/9 signal! And the tower was still not cranked up…

Even after six months I am amazed by this great antenna."

73, Tjalling PA3GOS

I7WXB Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Finally NO TRAPS !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 30 years of experiences with good antennas with traps,I decided to have monoband beams but any change with tower and rotator.Last traps antenna has been TH7DX,good antenna but I love 18 Mhz band.The bands are more clean than before,the forward gain is ok but the ratio Front/Side and Front/Back is excellent.
The assembly operations are easy and no setup is necessary.GREAT PRODUCT and finally I don't need to use Antenna Tuner.

G3SVD Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2005 22:53 Send this review to a friend
A well designed ant, performs well and straightforward assembly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have recently changed my monobanders for 20 and 15 to this single antena to get the advantage of 17m. Its performance is outstanding, I can work stations now using just 100W when even with the Cushcraft monbanders I was using before I needed the linear. Assembly of the antena was very straight forward and everything fitted first time with no adjustments required. It has a good narrow beam width and often I just cannot hear stns off the back that are S9 off the front. The Support from Thomas DF2BO has been faultless, quickly supplying replacement parts when an accident with the tower damaged some element tubes.

IZ5DKJ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2005 15:04 Send this review to a friend
SUNSPOT? NO PROBLEM!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having to disposition as well as space they are forced to having
a single tower of 15m, therefore the OB10-3W is appeared
like the best solution between space and performances.

Now that finally it is in summit to the tower I can confirm
that my choice to the OB10-3W has been perfect.
Perfect mechanics and superlative performances!
It turns out correspond perfectly to those declares from Thomas,
now with single 100w I amuse myself to pass over the pile-up!!!

The mechanical assembly of the antenna is fastest why all it is preassembled,
the antenna is completed in less than 4 hours.
Optimal communication with Thomas, ready to clear every doubt fastly.

I augur to all of having one OPTIBEAM!

73 Simone IZ5DKJ

DL8JJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2004 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Perfectly antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Optibeam’s OB10-3W antenna have a world class design engineering and very good build quality. This is a credit to the design, engineering and manufacturing skills of Optibeam owner Thomas, DF2BO - a REAL! HAM OM.

Based on my personal experience, this antenna more than delivers on the promised performance across all tree bands is truly outstanding. A killer! OB10-3W is superior and the overall performance across all tree bands is clearly perfect. Now DX-ing and Pile-Ups make fun.

The build quality is simply superb: every! part of the antenna!

This ist one of the best quallity product, and you will not find any antenna system available on the amateur radio market today that is of a better design or build quality.

Tom is an excellent design and construction engineer. Every call or eMail was answered very quickly and detailed reply with all useful informations and pictures that clearly indicating professional, Tom you deserve to sell many more antennas.
People, if you want to be really happy, just buy it!
You will love this antenna, but be careful, perhaps more then you wife...Hi...Perfect!

SM3CUA Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2004 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Superlative Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best antenna I ever used. I have experience from quite a lot of yagi and quad antennas from different places and QTH… But what really surprised and struck me with this antenna was “Wow this is Quality” When I first opened the box with the OptiBeam and checked up all the parts I was convinced.

Optibeam has a very well-planned instruction manual so it was very easy to handle and realize how to put the antenna together. This antenna comes out of the box very much pre-assembled and is indeed a pleasure to screw together. I double-checked every phase and item and when the antenna was ready for the installation of my
80 feet VersaTower…

It was a very exciting moment when the antenna was in place and I for the first time Checked up SWR… These diagram of SWR I had seen on the homepage of Optibeam was really impressive, but now…. I was so happy to find out the reality surpassed the diagram and practically SWR is 1:1 to 1:I,3 for all of the bands when the antenna is 75 feet up…

Mechanically this antenna completely outperform my previous antennas I have had, and now up there 75 feet and to say nothing of 1500 feet above sea level with high winds and a lot of snowstorms here on 62 degrees North this antenna is now my companion.

Finally I am very pleased with the result on air and have a lot of DX-qso with splendiferous reports and the antenna is very effective in DX-pile ups .

G3XFA Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2004 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Initial Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
REVIEW OF OPTIBEAM OB10-3 10 ELEMENT 20, 17 & 15M BEAM

BACKGROUND

Having had many HF antennas over the past 30 years of amateur radio operation ranging from end-fed wires, dipoles, cubical quad and various yagis, the decision to make yet another change was not taken without considerable deliberation. My existing set-up consisted of a wide-space 20m Hygain monobander and a Tennadyne Log Periodic 17m –10m. Both performed superbly and were it not for the excessive wind loading of these two stacked antennas there was no requirement to change anything. However, the gales of a few months ago caused severe damage to my Standard P60 Tower resulting in two replacement sections and the decision to change was virtually made for me. In my search for a replacement antenna there were a few criteria which had to be met.

1. No traps
2. Maximum 18ft boom length
3. Maximum wind loading of 1 sq m @ 80 mph.
4. Must include 20, 17 & 15m, as minimum

RESEARCH

Most of the antennas researched could not meet all the criteria and the only one that initially did fit the bill was the STEPPIR. This is a relatively revolutionary design in terms of amateur antennas and utilises motorised, computer controlled, adjustable elements. However, I have always been a staunch supporter of the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) and the concept of six stepper motors (3 elements) as part of an antenna exposed to all weather conditions did not sit happily with me. The search continued.
At the Friedrichtshafen Hamfest I met Tom Schmenger, the designer/owner of Optibeam Antennas, a German manufacturer, and spent considerable time discussing his product range. The quality of construction was the best seen to-date with all metal parts aluminium or stainless steel. A look at the NEC Antenna Design Programme convinced me that performance was not a problem.
On return to the UK further research was carried out via the internet and the decision taken to purchase the OB10-3W a 10 element design covering 20, 17 & 15m. 3 elements on 20 & 17m and 4 on 15m.

CONSTRUCTION

Having placed an order with the UK Agent, Vine Antennas, two parcels duly arrived direct from Germany. A completed checklist was enclosed and on checking it out everything was included. The first impression was that of the quality of all the hardware and secondly, everything was labelled. The tri-section square boom had the element positions accurately marked and identified, the element to boom brackets were all identified and the elements themselves were all bundled individually, sorted by band, and identified whether a dir, driven element or reflector and labelled. No need for constant reference to the Manual and a mammoth sorting job!! The balun is in a sealed box, manufactured by Array Solutions in the USA. (I already have their excellent RatPack Antenna Switch) The Manual itself is well produced and leads you through a logical sequence of construction. Additionally, there are numerous photographs highlighting the more complex areas. All the elements are pre-drilled and go together using various sizes of stainless steel self-locking nuts and bolts. The only adjustment required is to the end element of each of the driven elements, where there is the choice of three holes. The inner is for resonance at the cw end of the band, the middle one for centre band operation and the outer for phone working.

OPERATION

With the antenna mounted on top the P60 tower it was time for testing and this was done initially using an MFJ 259 Antenna Analyser. With just one coaxial feed this was a simple task. The results of these initaial tests were as follows:-

20M QRG 14.000 14.200 14.350

Resonance 18.050

15M QRG 21.000 21.250 21.450
SWR 1.5 1.3 1.1
RESONANCE 21.400

As can be easily seen, the swr figures are impressive but resonance on 17 & 15m is a little low and high respectively. The first attempt to correct this was to utilise the outer and inner holes on the 17 & 15m driven elements thus raising and lowering the resonance point. This adjustment raised 17m resonance to 18.100 and brought 15m down to 21.300 with no perceiveable change in the f/b ratios, which, by on-air tests centre band using the receiver S-meter which is not calibrated, measured:- 20m – 24db, 17m – 25db and 15m – 28db. Swr readings for both bands are now better than 1.25:1 across the band.

CONCLUSION

The Optibeam is a quality product. The labelling of all items, facilitating easy identification and fabrication is the best encountered to-date. On-air tests have met all claimed specifications and every station heard and wished to be worked has resulted in a contact being made. I rate this antenna as the best seen and used during my 35+ years as a licensed Radio Amateur.

Roger Wilkins. BSc. G3xfa