Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | MicroHam Band Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for MicroHam Band Decoder
MicroHam Band Decoder Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Provides Band Decoding for antenna switching, rig interface, cw/ptt interface and Icom and Yaesu amp interface.
More info: http://www.microham.com

You can write your own review of the MicroHam Band Decoder.

AJ5TT Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2004 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface between ICOM and Yaesu amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The device is exactly what I was looking for.
1. Able to in interface an ICOM 756ProII to a Yaesu FL-7000 amplifier.
2. CI-V interface
3. Ability to decode WARC bands.
4. Solid build

I have had the unit almost 1 year. It has performed flawlessly. Jozef was very helpful in answering ALL questions prior to purchase. Unit arrived quickly and the documentation is good.

Thanks for a great product. Would recommend that you go to the web site and read all what the unit can do.

John - AJ5TT

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2004 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Addition To The Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently introduced a Yaesu Mark V Field to my previously all Icom shack. This included an Icom 756 Pro and Icom PW-1 linear. The auto band selection and auto antenna selection I grew to love with the Pro/PW-1 combination was missing with the Mark V Field. Although I was able to interface the Yaesu to the PW1, operation was manual. That in itself was not bad. The challenge was the fact that after using the PRO/PW1 combination for a time, I found myself forgetting to select the correct band when using the Mark V. This would frequently put the PW1 into a fault position. So what to do?

Came across the Microham website and gave the Microham Band Decoder a look. Seemed to fit the bill. About 10 days after I ordered the unit it arrived safe and sound. The Band Decoder came with a serial PC cable and configuration software. I ordered a CAT cable to interface the band decoder to the Yaesu, and a cable for the decoder to the PW1.

Configuring the unit using the supplied software was easy. Yaesu/Decoder band switching worked fine. Connection to the PW1 was also a breeze and setting up the Yaesu using the decoder with the PW1 was same as with any recent Icom transceiver. With the Band Decoder inbetween the Mark V and the PW1 the auto band switching and antenna selection was perfect.

The only surprise was to discover that the current Band Decoder firmware does not support frequency decoding if the Yaesu is in MEM (memory) mode. It works only using the VFO if the CAT function is used. However, if you connect the Band Decoder to the Yaesu's Band Data jack, the unit will support band readings in VFO and MEM modes. Hence, I made a cable with 8 pin DINs on each end to resolve this. Now all works perfectly.

Support from Jozef is excellent. Prompt with e-mail and always willing to lend a hand. Excellent product that allows you create a multi-vendor auto band switching station.

Harry WE1X

K4JAF Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2004 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted the capability to control my Icom PW1 amp with my Yaesu equipment. The Microham decoder does the job in excellent fashion. I plan to add the remote antenna switch outside at some later date. The decoder works flawlessly, interfacing between the amp, PC and radio. Easy to set up and construction is excellent as well.
You will be pleased with products from MicroHam
Jim K4JAF

VK3PGRPORTW0 Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2003 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello All,

I have had my Microband Decoder now for approx 2 months and it has performed flawlessly.

I am operating my HF station remotely and wanted the best rig and amplifier available for computer control (I opted for the Kenwood Ts2000 and Yaesu Quadra VL1000).

The complexity of getting the TS2000 to talk to the Quadra (as if the former were a Yaesu Transceiver) was compounded by the fact that I also needed the rig to poll my Fluid Motion antenna control box.

At the time of getting my Ts2000, Quadra and Stepp-IR I could get none of these items to communicate with other.

Upon discussing the matter with w4mq (a guru on remote installation software) I was referred to Jozef at Microham.

From my first email to Jozef his service has been outstanding. He confidently assured me that the Microham product would solve all of my problems and even emailed me a comprehensive diagram (which he had personally customised) setting out how it could be done.

Within one week of sending my funds to Slovakia, the Microham decoder arrived professionally packaged with comprehensive manual and software included. Upon hooking the device up according to Jozef's customised diagram all of my equipment inter-communication problems were solved (it was one of those "plug and play" miracles).

Jozef sent me an unsolicited email about 3 days later asking whether the product had arrived yet and offering to help if I needed any assiatnce with the installation.

I have emailed Jozef regarding some other remote station issues (not directly related to the decoder) and he has always been very prompt and helpful in guiding me where he can.

I would not hesistate to recommend this product to anyone who has a curly band decoding need (in my view it is the best product of its kind on the market at the moment)

Cheers

Paul (vk3ajj)

F6GOX Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2003 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Professionnal products  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, the good friendly contact with Jozef, OM7ZZ, from microHAM, was the beggining of a lot of good surprises. Quick delay between the order and I had received a products very carefully packaged. Really the external aspect is professionnal. All connectors are quality. My few special requests were exactly done as I want. So this is a realibility company. Second, the material is one of the best band decoder you can find. A lot of features, well explained on the website or in the clear paper manual send with a CD-rom to configure as you want your antenna system. Easy, just put the CD-rom in the computer and check the boxes! And forget it! It works well. I use it with SO2R config, 2 yaesu FT-990 with yaseu FL7000, included Filters IE419 and Topten device DXD controler. They construct for me all the request cables and I just "plug and play". I warmly recommend this company for best quality/price ratio products.

K1VF Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2003 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding new product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
microham BAND DECODER

This is one of the finest new products I have seen in a long time. The features, user interface and quality of materials and workmanship are all world-class.

This uP-based decoder offers a complete software-matrix settable antenna port assignemt, right from your PC. One may assign any antenna to any of ten (10) ports using a simple point-and-click setup window. In addition, the matrix supports split-band assignment for two antennas on the same band (i.e., 75 and 80m), with a separate chart for setting the split freq. See:

After these paramteres are set, simply save, then download the file to the DECODER FLASH-ROM, and your done. Changing the setup takes just a few seconds. All parameters are retained w/o power, a nice feature. The user interface makes it easy to save and load any number of other configurations.

A unique feature microham added at my request generates a logic pulse when a port change occurs, and optionally, when the main XCVR freq changes by more than nn Khz. This was applied to a spare uP I/O pin, and is filtered and available as an output. The software allows selection of pos/neg polarity of the pulse, pulse-width, as well as a pop-up menu for selecting how many Khz the XCVR has to move in order to generate the pulse. This is useful for automatically resetting of an external auto-tune amplifier after a specific change in operating freq occurs.

An unusual feature of the microham BAND DECODER is that the connection from the PC (w/logging software) to the XCVR is replaced by a connection from the PC to the Band Decoder. The band decoder, via a connection to the XCVR, repeats commands to the XCVR, while monitoring both the Logging Software (via the PC) and the XCVR (via the CNTL bus). This allows much faster band/ant changes than previous products I have used. Operation is flawless and fast, and with international spots via the web, allows instant access to new spots.

Construction is very high quality, G-10/FR-4 glass epoxy PC bd, high quality solder-mask and silk-screen, very nicely done cable connections, soldering and workmanship throughout. Proper decoupling, filtering, grounding and shielding, no problems with RF on any band. Allows decoding of ten (10) bands/ports from 160-6 meters.

Includes full outputs for CW, PTT keying from logging software, optional relay buffering for antenna outputs, supports all common XCVR interfaces, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu.

Has very flexible software pre-selects for working with any XCVR and pre-existing ANT SWITCH.

All documentation and software/updates are in downloadable and pdf format. This company has done a supurb job on a best-in-class product, very impressed.

I also purchased the 10-Pos ANT SWITCH which is also nicely done, very high-quality construction, heavy over-sized cast aluminum box, all stainless steel hardware and brackets, water-tight, O-ring sealed with optional N-connectors that are properly torqued and terminated.

Another great new product, by far the best in this category. It's really nice to see someone finally did this right. Vince, K1VF Sept, 2003.