Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna
Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $40.95
Description: 500 Watt, 144-148MHz, 5/8 wave, 3.4db gain, 53" total
More info: http://www.wilsonantenna.com/vhf.htm

You can write your own review of the Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna.

N4VNV Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2016 08:43 Send this review to a friend
SUPER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned many 2M mobile antennas over the last 30 years including Larsen. Which I used to rave about, but the last one did not perform well at all. Several of my friends have outstanding results with the Wilson 2M mag mount so I purchased one. IT'S GREAT! Nuff said!

KD8GTP Rating: 0/5 Jan 18, 2015 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Not made the way they were  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned one about 10yrs ago, great antenna. Lasted me several years until I upgraded to a Larsen. I was in need of another 2m antenna and bought another Wilson based on my past experience. This one lasted me less than 1yr. I went to take it off the trunk and the plastic housing pulled off the metal base. I had the plastic in my hand with the magnets still on the trunk. Looks like water leaked in and rusted everything. These used to be good antennas but things changed and now they are junk. I will see how they handle the warranty, I hope they replace it.

ON4XA Rating: 0/5 Sep 4, 2013 02:51 Send this review to a friend
vy bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
SWR is vy high. Good on 160-180MHz. Impossible to have it correct on 144. Vy bad item. Not like the 5000 how is magnificent.
Totally no communication with Wilson factory. It's a shame.

W0IW Rating: 0/5 Dec 25, 2009 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Crap crap crap crap  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned a ton of mag mounts and use the cheapo mfj dualbander now...

I bought this wilson new installed, it on one of my work trucks I traveled with it in all kinds of weather and one hot summer day I hit a low hanging little tree branch, and the mag mount flew off the roof hit the street and shatteered the (( HOLLOW )) yes hollw black plastic cover pretty much making this hunk of junk useless in about 1 second..

I would have made a solid plastic composite filled inside ...but no this baby's hollow.. GOOD LUCK WHEN THE RUBBER HITS THE ROAD :( then all you have is a junk...

MCDO320 Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2009 13:47 Send this review to a friend
A fine 2 meter mag mount!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this 2 meter antenna because I run their 11 meter version as well. Judging from the 11 meter performance the 2 meter should be dead on right! Well the recieve is clear and the output is strong. My only complaint is the base were the coax enters cracked. I had this 12 inches from my 11 meter Wilson 1000 with the cable facing rearward. The tension on the feedline was firm with zip ties and adhesive wire holders. I think the 90* turn and the sun made this area crack. Other than that, It is well worth the money.
73's
Mad Mac

KE5JPS Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2009 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Update to previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I left a previous review on this antenna and I am not changing my rating, though it should be known of what I have encountered since then. At some point I noticed that the receive was getting a bit noisey and transmit not as distant so I did as another reviewer did and disassembled the antenna to discover corrosion on the nut from the coil to the whip. Putting it back together it is not like new exactly but performance is back. I now use this as a field back up and would like to suggest that if you purchase this antenna that you apply some silicone to where the coax enters the antenna and make sure not to punture the aluminum that covers the bottom of the antenna. Also, if you keep tension on the coax, the area where the coax enters may crack.

REBEL01 Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Great for mobile or base!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these on my 04 Silverado and it reaches much farther than I had expected it to. I liked it's performance so much that I decided to use one for my base station as well. I can talk to my fellow hams over 50 miles away. And I literally live in an electronic "dead zone". All in all I am Very satisfied with the antenna and all my future antennas will be Wilson made.

K8OCN Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2009 19:46 Send this review to a friend
The best I have ever used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one on top of the cab on my pickup and it works Great! As a extra bonus it sings to me after U get above 75 mph!

WR0S Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2009 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Looks like a Keeper!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just hooked it up tonight. Finally retired a 12 year old Radio Shack Magnet mount 2 meter. It fell off the vehicle one too many times. (Actually it was the wifes fault) But don't tell her I said so. The Wilson 2 meter 5/8 wave mag mount looks like yet another very fine Wilson product. Very high quality appearance indeed. The coil in the antenna seems to be large diamter which should indicate that it has a High-Q factor and max efficiency. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the old Radio Shack antenna. It talked good for a long time too. But by the appearance of the Wilson, I would not be surprised if it outlasts the Radio Shack antenna by twice as long. Reason I bought the Wilson antenna is because radio shack no longer makes the 2 meter mag whip and no other mag mount antenna I checked on really satisfied me the way this Wilson has. Just read through all the reviews here on eham.net this antenna will literally sell itself!

73 DE WRS ...-.-

W6GQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2008 18:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna and indeed it is a great antenna. I had my antenna mated with the IC-V8000.