Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna
Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $40.95
Description: 500 Watt, 144-148MHz, 5/8 wave, 3.4db gain, 53" total
More info: http://www.wilsonantenna.com/vhf.htm

You can write your own review of the Wilson 2 Mtr 5/8 Wave Mag Antenna.

KC9HWJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2006 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have hit repeaters 40 + miles away at 640 ft elevation in the mobile at 5 watts. I do wish that wilson would make a 220 and 440 version of this antenna. i would definatly buy them. If you want a 2 meter mono band antenna, buy this one, you will not be disappointed.

OH5TK Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2006 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Best 5/8 whip ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now I have owned this whip couple days...great mobile whip for 2 meters band.I recommed this!! If you looking other reviews they tell same thing.Very good antenna.Very well made Wilson co.

KR9Q Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2006 19:49 Send this review to a friend
an excellent performer and value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this Wilson antenna now for over three years. It has performed flawlessly! I would highly recommend this antenna to anyone. My only complaint is the antenna is only available as a magnet mount. I would love to see a NMO version. Hats off to Wilson for selling an affordable (<35.00 in my area) and outstanding performing antenna.

KE5FYR Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2005 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna replaced an MFJ that lasted about 3 months. It's exceeded all my expectations and I'll definately buy another for the XYL's truck! It's sturdy with a super strong magnet. I hit as many repeaters as I do with my 706 and base station J-pole. You can't go wrong with this Wilson antenna!
Mike in Louisiana

KG4JON Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2005 22:20 Send this review to a friend
best 2 meter mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
the wilson 2 meter mobile is the best antenna for indoor use i use it during bad weather and use my TE system 150 watt amp the antenna will handle 500 watts so no problem other than i might start glowing in the dark. No worries when it,s lighting outside. Easy to hit repeaters with quality built and works great if anybody knows of a better 2 meter antenna to use indoors let me know don,t think the wilson can be beat. try it you,ll like it.

N1ZPP Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2005 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally bought this unit in 1997 after I earned my first ham ticket. Ran it on my mobile for many years... being my first antenna, I had no idea how good it really was! Had to cut down about 1" of whip to tune to a decent SWR.

After 2 or 3 years in service, the antenna went into storage for a while. Moved around a few times, used indoors for APRS, moved some more. Then, after diagnosing a defective MFJ antenna on my current mobile (about 3 weeks ago), I pulled the Wilson out and put it back in service. Flawless! It outperforms my MFJ 1/4wave (as expected by a 5/8wave) and I'm going to leave it on the mobile for a while.

After all these years, the mounting stud could use a cleaning (really a minor maintenance issue). I also need to replace the coax due to a broken braid from being shut in the door a few years ago. For now, I only wrapped the broken spot with electrical tape and it's still working just fine ... 1.1-1.2 SWR across the entire band and excellent signal gain.

This is an extremely well built, strong antenna and is definitely an ultimate value for the money. My MFJ mobile didn't even last a year ... this Wilson is 8 years old and still going strong!

KB3KAI Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2005 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Wilson 2 Meter mag-mount mobile antenna over 6 years. It has been through torture and worked perfect every time! Wore out two cars before the coax finally hardened from the weather.

The antenna receives very well with no undue noise pickup. Transmits very efficiently, even HT power goes a long way, and can still handle just about any brick you put behind it.

It has survived countless beatings in parking garages, tree limb impacts, a major automobile accident and even a bird strike. It's been baked to a crisp during the summer, soaked by hundreds of rain showers, encased in ice during winter storms and attacked by road salt.

Despite my best abuse and neglect, the antenna has always performed flawlessly. I would definitely purchase another one!

Dave www.KB3KAI.com

AL2I Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2005 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Correction!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using it for a year, I began to have problems with my Wilson and took another look at the Comet dual-bander I mentioned in my previous review. I found a flaw in the Comet where if I screwed it onto the NMO mount very firmly, it would lose more than 10 dB. Now that I found that problem, its performance seems to be within about 2dB of the performance of the much larger Wilson.

My "problem" with the Wilson seemed to evaporate as well, because I found that it is really important to get a good clean contact between the base magnet and the vehicle. Both antennas work well when properly used.

Dave/al2i

VE2QNC Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2004 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Superior antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one more than a year ago. Also own 2 Larsen. Both are comparable antenna but I would place the Wilson a bit ahead. Looks as new as the first day. Great range. High power. Does everything very well. Very well built and weather resistant. Highly recommandable.

W4GLX Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2003 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Antenna !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Bought the wilson 2Mtr 5/8 Wave Antenna. Based on the it's Qauilty & Preformance, its is a Very good Antenna and i highly recomemend it you cant go worng with this Antenna. Now if they Only Made a Duel Band antenna, I would buy one In a heart Beat!