Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | Peter W. Dahl Company Transformers Help

Reviews Summary for Peter W. Dahl Company Transformers
Peter W. Dahl Company Transformers Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: CUSTOM TRANSFORMERS, EL PASO, TX. Mr. Dahl has been designing specialty transformers and reactors for over 35 years, and has been a licensed Ham radio operator, K0BIT, since 1955, currently holding an Extra Class license.
He also holds a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering from the University of Minnesota (BSEE 1966), and stands ready to apply that wealth of experience in solving your transformer related problems.
More info: http://www.pwdahl.com/

You can write your own review of the Peter W. Dahl Company Transformers.

G1EUZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Clipperton L from the new owners  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Peter Dahl line of transformers and manufacturing rights have been bought by Hammond Mfg see http://www.pwdahl.com/

I bought the Clipperton L model and it was shipped in a regular stock run to Hammond Mfg UK in Basingstoke at no charge. The price was very good and the company were kind enough to permit me to collect from the depot.

The Transformer is superb, the old rattle from the windings of the old transformer are now a distant memory.

I am not linked in any way to Hammond Mfg but can highly recommend the products since the new owners took over.

Mick

WIRELESS Rating: 2/5 Aug 7, 2004 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Take care  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have attempted to buy several transformers from Mr. Dahl. The first transformer I bought was built and sent on time but was packaged very poorly. A 35LB transformer was just thrown into a box full of peanuts and shipped. I think it should have been mounted on a board. I attempted to buy a few other transformers until I got the price. Dahl can charge up to 3 times the cost you can get a transformer off the shelf somewhere else if its available. Dahl's transformers are expensive. I ordered a filament transformer the last time I tried to do business with Dahl. I gave him a new address over the phone but he sent it to an old address in his computer. Never got the transformer but he did credit by card.

I bought a oil cap from Dahl that was advertised as 52mf 5kv. When I got the cap I could tell it was really a 52mf 3.5kv cap because somebody tried to erase the "3." off the surface but I could still faintly see it.

Bottom line is before you buy from Dahl check around for availability and price elsewhere before giving Dahl your card number. There are other companies out there selling good transformers at a much lower cost.

K5UJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2004 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Noticable improvement over stock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a brief comment regarding my first experience with a Peter Dahl transformer. I try to be stingy with the number ratings but in this case the Dahl transformer I purchased is a significant improvement over the stock unit. Here is the data for the transformer I purchased and had installed, as found on the Dahl website:
TEN-TEC 422 HV TRANSFORMER
FOR TEN-TEC CENTURION LINEAR AMPLIFIER
CORE) B-0393/ C-CORE STYLE #) 10 HIPERSIL C-CORE
PR) 115/230 VAC 60 HZ 1 PH

S1) 2225 VAC @ 0.5A CCS

DM) HT = 6.000 WT = 6.325 DT = 5.750 MD = 3.625 MW = 4.000
PRICE) $325.00 Plus S&H FOB El Paso, TX WEIGHT) 23 LBS

During the past 20 months my Ten Tec Centurion linear amplifier (2 x 3-500ZG in gg grid config.) experienced two failures of the stock Ten Tec h.v. B+ transformer the company supplies with their product. Let me immediately emphasize that the company claims that their transformers were not at fault and I do not dispute that as I have no way of ascertaining without doubt that their components were the problem. Further, each time there were external conditions leading to the transformer failures, so it is not as if the stock unit suddenly quit on its own.

Having said that, I must recommend the Dahl replacement unit, not necessarily for reliability (time will tell about that) but because in my case it has caused the Centurion to be far easier to drive with my exciter. With the stock transformer it took at least 100 w. to drive the Centurion to 1 or 1.1 kw; now that level is reached with about 60 or 70 watts.

If you ever have to replace the h.v. plate transformer in your Centurion, get one of these.