Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II
Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: 14 foot, 1000 watt, 135-160 MHz vertical antenna featuring three 5/8 wave radiating elements and an adjustable 1/8 wave phasing stub
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/details.asp?catid=76

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II.

W5UXJ Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2013 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Updated Review - Replace the Cheap Connectors  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna has a ground plane radial kit that includes about 3 ft. of coax. The connectors on each end of this piece of coax are crimped on and the stranded center conductor isn't soldered. This means the connectors are easily pulled loose. Over time, the zip ties and tape I used to support the coax from the shack shifted. This put strain on the factory piece of coax and the top connector pulled loose.

The moral of the story? Always replace the crappy crimped connectors with soldered ones before the antenna goes in the air. It'll save you a lot of trouble later.

Other than this bit of inconvenience, I'm well pleased with the performance of the antenna. I'll knock off one star and still give it a 4 because it really is a good antenna.

KE5IKC Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Works and keeps working  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A CB friend gave me a beat-up, modified(he was using for 11 meter) Ringo. I put it back together and added the missing top piece. I mounted it on a 5' piece of 2x2 and tuned it to < 1.2 in about 3 minutes. I raised it to 35' on a piece of cyclone fence tube with a 6' section of pvc on top. SWR didn't change and it's been there for several months, through Hurricane Issac and several windstorms with no change or damage. I hit all the neighborhood repeaters with my 2 watt HT with slightly better reports than my Slim Jim at the same height.

VE7KNQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2012 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the ARX2B for years. It's an excellent 2 meter antenna. All the parts were in the box, the manual was complete and it was very easy to assemble and tune. I've worked repeaters over 100 miles away with the antenna at 20 feet. It has withstood ice storms, heavy snow, tempuratures over 100' F, high winds and everything else nature threw at it. If you're looking for a dependable and durable 2m antenna don't hesitate to give this one a try.

W6AKF Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2010 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Manual & Dimensions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently recieved a new ARX-2B and had a hard time with the dimensions stated in the manual. The manual that came in the box didn't have the instructions, dimension chart, or the parts list. I had to go online to get the full manual.

After assembling it (all the parts were there), I was trying to get the SWR down to 146.000, no luck with the dimensins stated in the manual, it was well 3.00 it would not come down at all by moving the tuning rod over the tuning ring. I finally got it to come in by lengthening the top 3/38th tubing section (EE) a little bit at a time to 53 1/2 in. The manual says 50 1/8. I also loosened the tuning ring and the tuning rod so they could moved freely. That worked and brought down the SWR 1:2. I tightned tuning rod in to the tuning ring, and the ring to the base section. SWR remained at 1:2.

I'm not using the radial ring assembly. Here is what CC says about the RRA:

It is a phase shift network which aligns the far field pattern for maximum gain. The radials and HH give the antenna more effective radiating area, for more gain. The radials reflect energy which would normally beam into the ground, back up into the main pattern.

All in all a good antenna. I like the older ones better

Stephen
W6AKF

W8COP Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Works Great !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used Ringo for $15..I now get into repeaters 60 miles away,that I could not reach before with a 5/8 wave groundplane.The radials are a little flimsy,but overall I am happy with it.It also came with 50 ft of RG 213 !!!!

VE9GC Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 11:56 Send this review to a friend
A long term Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just took the ARX2B down today (22 Nov 2009) as I needed to replace it with a dual band antenna. It will likely go back up again once I procure another location to mount it to and some additional coax.

Well that doesn't sound like a 5/5 situation, until you realize that this antenna has been in the air at a couple of different QTH since I purchased it new in 1979. So here we are 30 years later and it is still going strong. For the last 28 years it has survived everything that Atlantic Canadian winters could throw at it. No it did suffer a couple of slight bends near the top and the lower tubing joint has been reinforced, but if you compare the purchase price to the number of years service (to date) that is one heck of a good return on investment.

As for the on the air performance no complaints there either.

Gordon
VE9GC

M1DDD Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2009 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Good so far - some minor installation gripes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live at 1500 feet in Central UK with wind, rain, snow and good VHF range. I wanted a 2m omni able to take 400W. The fibreglass encapsulated alternatives generally go to 150/200W and over time suffer fatigue and intenal element corrosion...I have used W-300, dia X510, Dia X700, copy of X510 - I would say that the Dia X510 was good allrounder, however X700 was best for TRX but the whippiness in the wind finally fatigued it to death. Plus 150W or more is temting fate in blowing the caps in the 2hite stick type antennas.
Last weekend up up ARX2B --- packaging smaller and lighter than expected ! - YES you have to supply your own 1.25" x 5-6' "mast" which is lower part of the antenna...hmm not explained in the advert and a bit misleading for sure. Then there were a couple of correct sized screws missing (okay we all have a fishing tackle box with nuts n bolts but imagine if I was on vacation without spares?). Main gripe is the radial ring where even with care I managed get a stainless nut lodged on the threads and jammed...1 x broken end on radial. It was still re-useable though
All now up. Plenty of coax seal on joints plus the silicon grease as supplied/recommended. Set lengths to 145.5Megs, tightened up feed pint "shorting bar" at "mid point" and SWR1.15:1. Bandwidth is "wide" so no further adjustments.
In the wind it looks strong. Decent wall thickness tubing used.
On the air on F3E 350W from TE systems solid state amp SWR fine. First used during very high pressure weather so made dozens of contacts over 200 miles. Even as the pressure drops this week I am contacting stuff as good as on the large Diamonds. Perhaps a couple of the medium range repeaters are 50dB/9 rather than 60dB/9 vs X700.
So far so good. Will report back after the Winter. Giving it a 4/5 cos of screw missing, the "binding" of a SS nut on alloy radial and need to supply own 1.25" mast as part of antenna (extra $10-$15 and not that readily available in every small town). This mast incidentally is then clamped to a 2" scaffold pole using "spare" clamps taken off the old Diamonds...always keep old hardware !
Cheers for now NICK
LISTEN for KP2/M1DDD 14-20 October 2009 80m thru 6m

N9CAR Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2008 07:30 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put the ARX-2B up on December 19th, 1991 and the wind took it down this summer.
It worked well until about 2 years ago so no complaints at all!! I would buy one again if I could get it up where the old one was!

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2008 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have no problem here, i never seen star that low and i thought it would best antenna i was able to hit repeater !

I had mine since 2001

Jackie
KG4ORX

K8HRO Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 2008 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Expected Better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my Ringo Ranger II for free from a friend and after talking to a couple of other hams, assembled it according to their special instructions. Namely, clean all the places where the antenna sections slide together and seal them with silicone grease. Replace the coax on the matching stub and seal all coax connections with coax seal. Follow factory instructions for matching. I did all this and the antenna went up easily, matched well and my signal reports were great....Until it rained, that is. SWR went from 1.2:1 to over 3:1. About 24 hours after it stopped raining, the SWR came back down to 1.2:1. In the final analysis, it's a good performing antenna as long as you keep it dry. At least that's my experience.

Randy - K8HRO