Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II
Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: 14 foot, 1000 watt, 135-160 MHz vertical antenna featuring three 5/8 wave radiating elements and an adjustable 1/8 wave phasing stub
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/details.asp?catid=76

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft ARX2B Ringo Ranger II.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2008 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have no problem here, i never seen star that low and i thought it would best antenna i was able to hit repeater !

I had mine since 2001

Jackie
KG4ORX

K8HRO Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 2008 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Expected Better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my Ringo Ranger II for free from a friend and after talking to a couple of other hams, assembled it according to their special instructions. Namely, clean all the places where the antenna sections slide together and seal them with silicone grease. Replace the coax on the matching stub and seal all coax connections with coax seal. Follow factory instructions for matching. I did all this and the antenna went up easily, matched well and my signal reports were great....Until it rained, that is. SWR went from 1.2:1 to over 3:1. About 24 hours after it stopped raining, the SWR came back down to 1.2:1. In the final analysis, it's a good performing antenna as long as you keep it dry. At least that's my experience.

Randy - K8HRO

VA7DH Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2008 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Good omni antenna for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a Ringo Ranger II several years back, assembled it, adjusted it a bit, and used it for several years. Eventually the signals were getting weaker and noisier. I got around to taking the antenna down and disassembling it. I did mangle one of the little radials trying to unscrew it but was able to easily make another from some aluminum stock. Some people have complained about this antenna and it may be because they live not far from the ocean. Salt gets into the air and gets distributed inland. Your car or truck rust a little faster too. Anyway, aluminum is a very active metal and so corrosion can take place under such conditions. I suggest putting a bit of anti sieze compond on nuts , bolts, and other threads. It saves you huge grief later on especially on rotor bolts. Rotor housings are usually cast aluminum with steel bolts (yikes). The Ringo Ranger also has telescoping tube sections that are clamped together. The sections get a nasty white corrosion that messes everything up. I cleaned mine up with emery paper and steel wool until the mating surfaces were acceptably clean. Cleaning the inside contact areas is a much harder trial but still doable. Once things were shiny I coated them with a special battery grease but axle grease would do also. I slid it all together and readjusted to get the right spacings, clamped it up and put it on the air. It worked like new again. One last thought, if you live near salt water take the turn signal lights and running lights out of your vehicle, shine up their contacts, and coat with grease. They'll work much better and more effectively over time not being coroded up. 73

KC4FWC Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2007 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Seal the connector...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably the best improvment that Cushcraft made - adding the radial kit to decouple the feedline. The Ringo Ranger problem never had to deal with gain exactly, but the radiating feedline was to blame for nasty antenna patterns. After coming out with the ground radials 5/8 wave below the coil, the feedline being decoupled from the antenna solved the pattern problem and added a little more gain.

Obvious problems: cheap, brittle aluminum for the radials, and the crimp on connectors for the coax section below the ring. Solder the center conductor of that jumper before installing.

Most people have problems with water getting into the jumper and their own feedline and blaming the poor performance on the antenna. It's three 5/8 waves - it either works or it doesn't! Water is invited into the first connector by running down the stud that connects the runing rod. Water also gets into the connector threads because it's nearly impossible to seal. I have found the best way is to cover the top of the connector assembly with hot glue, then melt it uniformly with a heat gun, and put heat shrink with pine resin over the PL-259 connectors. Good antenna for the casual suburban FM repeater working ham..

N9CAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2007 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Love it....will get another!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up on Dec. 19th, 1991, and it gave me great service till about a year ago. I could easily get into repeaters over 50 miles away with good reports. High winds finally did it in last year.
I am using another Cushcraft set up now...stacked 14 element Boomers over 25 years old!
I will get another ARX2B this spring to replace this one. Hard to beat 15 years of use for less than $60 back then!

K6TPL Rating: 2/5 Feb 10, 2007 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Model Number should be 666  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mentioned I was not pleased with Antenna when I bought it a couple years ago. Now after a couple years some rain and some snow. Want to say that my thoughts have not changed. If you live in a area where there is rain or wind. Forget this antenna. Radials at the bottom just vanish after a minor wind. If your new to the Hobby this isn't the antenna for you! If you have been in the hobby. You most likely know this. Frustrated HRO recommended the antenna also.

K4JJL Rating: 3/5 Oct 26, 2006 11:15 Send this review to a friend
OK for permanent install, would not move frequently  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had mine up for quite a long time, probably close to 7 years. When I moved, it came down fine and came apart well enough to put in a box. When I tried to reassemble it at my new house, 2 of the ground plane radials wrung right off because of the dissimilar metals used in its construction (aluminum/potmetal rods, stainless nuts) seized up. I patched it back together, but it isn't pretty.

I didn't have any problems tuning it. I put it on a 10' piece of 1/2" rigid EMT and tuned it with an HT and a Diawa cross-needle wattmeter. Got it less than 1.5:1 on entire 2M band and only had to move the tuning rod 3 times. It wasn't difficult at all.

All in all, I'd give it a 3 because of the hodgepodge of materials used to manufacture it. Cushcraft should have chosen 1 type of metal and stuck with it.

N8EKT Rating: 3/5 Feb 20, 2006 12:49 Send this review to a friend
OK FOR A CHEAP ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
THESE ANTENNAS PERFORM WELL AFTER TEDIOUS ADJUSTMENT OF THE "RING"
THEY WORK WELL AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT WET OR COVERED IN FROST,SNOW,OR ICE.
THIS IS A TYPICAL PROBLEM WITH THIS AND CUSHCRAFT
BASE ANTENNAS IN GENERAL.

N1YZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2005 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Over 6 years of dependable use  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the only external 2 meter antenna that I've used constantly for over 6 1/2 years. It has been quite reliable and has survived several hurricanes and thunderstorm downbursts. (Fortunately the wind never got over 75-80 mph at this QTH.) I've taken it apart one time to move it. There were no problems getting it back together. I work repeaters 40-65 miles away daily with consistent signal reports. There have been no problems with SWR, the radios are metered and SWR is monitored constantly.

I've built higher gain 2 meter antennas, but they required more fussing around to keep them operational. The ARX2B is a great buy.

KD4JXZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2005 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the $$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Ringo second hand some many years ago. The radials and ring were in bad shape and 2 had snapped off. I used it with a slight modification for a year or so, then put up a Diamond F23A. Well, I recently sold the Diamond and I got the Ringo out of the shed, drilled out the remaining rods that had broken off in the ring, bought some allthread rods to fit and cut them to match. It's now up 20'off of the roof and I'm easily having QSO's with folks who are 2 hours plus away!! The low take off angle from my hilltop QTH is doing the job. Not the best made antenna out there but I was impressed with it's performance as the Diamond never performed like this one!!