Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Down East Microwave DEM 50-5 6 meter beam Help

Reviews Summary for Down East Microwave DEM 50-5 6 meter beam
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $165
Description: A 5 element, 17 foot boom six meter beam.
More info: http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/

You can write your own review of the Down East Microwave DEM 50-5 6 meter beam.

KC0GOX Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2004 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent bang for the buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are a lot of good six meter antennas out there, and a few "great" ones. On a cost to performance ratio, this one qualifies as "great." Build quality is top notch, and I had it assembled, tuned, and on the hazer in about an hour and a half. This is a tried and true, refined design that uses a simple gamma match which required no further tuning or adjustments after initial assembly. My only criticism: I felt the boom to mast clamp was a little light, but I must admit it is adequate. I like the build of this antenna--not too light and not too heavy, for the size it is just right. For those of you who prefer a heavier design this antenna is available in a heavy duty version for $215. I should also mention that I ordered this antenna on Thursday and received it the following Tuesday via Fed Ex. Amazing!
On the air performance presented no surprises. I currently have in the air a 3 element six meter beam, which I consider a respectable performer. Both the DEM antenna and the 3 element beam are approximately the same height, around 65 feet. Direct comparisons reveal noticeable improvement in actual S meter readings to my Kenwood 570, on the order of 1 or 2 S units or so. I realize that this is not a scientific analysis, but it does demonstrate the potential of this antenna. Pattern is also narrower than the 3 element antenna. In short, it is performing just as one would expect.
In summary, I really like this antenna. It is one of the best bargains in the six meter antenna market today! If you want a decent signal on six, get one of these and put it up, you will not be disappointed!