Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch
DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: 8 position remote coax switch. Available with or without control box.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search?keyword=rr8b&dds=1

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch.

K2GAV Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 07:38 Send this review to a friend
You can pay me now, or you can pay me later.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The old adage is true. This is not a cheap antenna selector by any measure. It costs about twice as much as other offerings. But, you do get what you pay for.

Port to port isolation is fabulous. Construction quality is fabulous. Even the packing was fabulous. If it had been delivered via canon, it would have arrived just fine.

I am a professional broadcast engineer, used to working with high end equipment. This selector feels like a professional product to me.

Note that the photo here shows the older metal cover, Current units sport a tough black thermoplastic cover that is lined in copper foil inside. It's very tough. The rest of the unit appears to be made of stainless steel. Even the included U bolt is stainless.

Unused ports are left open, but you can add a jumper for any inputs you'd like grounded when not selected, allowing nifty control of multi-element arrays that require unselected elements to be grounded.

Nine wires are needed for full 8 antenna use. You can get away with 8, using the antenna sheilds as your ground return. But, I used nine conductor cable. A nice Phoenix connector is used at the switch, allowing easy termination of the control cable, and easy disconnection if service is needed. While this simple control scheme uses the maximum number of wires, it allows for versatile control of multi-element arrays, as described above.

You can buy this with or without one of two types of control panels. I wish there were a control panel that allow one to directly go between any inputs without cycling through those in-between. Perhaps I'll design and build my own later. I'd design an electronically latching 1 of 8 system with LED illuminated switches and plenty of room to label each source.

This is a class product, buy it with confidence. It's worth the price in the long run.

AA2HA Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2012 12:34 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previously owned another popular brand of antenna switch which, in the year I owned it, it had several issues ranging from water penetration, a bad relay and erratic SWR. I purchased a DX Engineering DXE-RR8B-HP-P1 from a fellow ham that had never used it. The DX Engineering switch is built like a tank and has been performing flawlessly for 2+ years without a single issue. I am erecting a tower and the switch is being removed from it's home in a pine tree to it's new home on the tower. I just opened the unit to check the condition and it looks as it did the day it was mounted there. I'm atop a mountain in Pennsylvania and equipment takes a beating in the winter. I highly recommend this switch, I'm sure it'll outlive me. The quality and reliability of every DX Engineering product I've owned has far exceed my expectations.

WA8EBM Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my 8 position 5KW switch w/EC8 controller a few days ago. I am using it in-shack to switch any of 4 linears and several radios into my antenna system. I had previously used Alpha Delta switches and the improvement in SWR is very notable. When I switch radios there is excellent isolation and I hear nothing on the disconnected radios. This was definitely not the case with the manual switching. The enclosure is a heavy, quality fabrication and I can see I would have no qualms about ever mounting it outside in a harsh environment. I only wish they had offered a less robust enclosure with wall mounting capabilities for those of us who use it for inside applications which would probably reduce the price considerably. So far nothing but compliments and seeing that they offer replacement relays for 10 bucks I am glad if I ever fry one, while accidentally hot switching or high SWR, I can easily fix it myself for a reasonable cost.
Mike WA8EBM

MW0CVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2011 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Very good quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the antenna switch after looking around on the internet,high quality construction and performance was required.

Good RF port to port isolation was need for my application,where i am switching four HF Transceiver to a single antenna system.

Rod Ehrhart -WN8R of DX Engineering has been fantastic answering all my questions.

He confirmed with 100w running on port one there would be less than 10 Microwats(-20Dbm)on any of the other ports NOT selected.thus no damage to RF overload.

Also braid jumping the unused ports to ground was a good idea,which can still be used as normal if selected with the CC 8A control unit

I was able to measure and confirm the figures above with a 50k communication test set,loss,isolation,frequency response etc.

One addition I have added is 40Amp 12V d.c relays which are controlled via the CC8-A control unit which switches the relay coils when the correct antenna port is selected.

This stops any chance of transmitting into no Antenna.

Paul

Mw0cvw

North Wales U.k

VE7DPG Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2010 14:34 Send this review to a friend
good switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this switch after shopping around I was a little reluctant due to the price, but after looking around and deciding I wasn't interested in climbing my tower in the middle of winter to replace a cheaper defective switch I ordered this one.
Great switch only thing is that since I have my station setup to revert to battery power in the event of a power failure this controller will not allow you to operate from 12vdc. after talking with the guys at dx engineering they were unwilling to assist me in a mod to allow it to do this. I did it myself and now I am totally happy with its operation at least I can remain on the air when the power is off.

K2FX Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2009 06:29 Send this review to a friend
DX Engineering Stands Behind Their Products  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
About 11-months ago, I purchased a DX Engineering remote Antenna Switch and the CC-8 Controller. For about 9-months it was bullet proof. However after that time, I would notice that receive became intermittent on a couple of the ports, only to come back after a short burst of RF. I called DX Engineering, and explained the problem. This is something they were familiar with. They suggested cleaning the relays by switching several times to different ports. That worked to some degree, but the problem was still there. I wrote to them again, and they asked me to pull the switch out of line, send it to them for repair work under the warrantee, and they would return it. At this time, I'm involved in so many on-air activities that I could not afford to be down for a few weeks, and asked if there was any other way they could help. They said that they would send me a BRAND NEW RR8A-HP, 8-port switch as a replacement if I would then send the defective one back in its place This is the newer model that has a different case, but same configuration. It arrived in a couple of days, and is fantastic. WOW, what customer service!! They trusted me enough to send them the old switch in return, which I promply did. This new switch is fantastic. Great Quality, and so far I am extremely happy. Do not ever be afraid to purchase from DX Engineering. Not only do they make superior products, but more importantly will stand behind them 100%. They even sent me a new DX Engineering Hat with the new switch!!!! Spread the word! DX Engineering is the place to get all of your accessories. Paul, K2FX

K9VSK Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2009 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the switch installed for over a year. Continues to work well through IL winters and summer lightning! Excellent isolation as well. Would definitely recommend this product!

KA3TKZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2009 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Quality Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
The receipt inspection on this antenna switch showed good quality workmanship. Fit and finish is good. The solder joints were all clean, no flux residue, no cold solder, and no solder splash. This antenna switch has worked flawlessly for more than a year. Antenna port rejection is supurb.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2008 17:04 Send this review to a friend
8 Ports at 4 port cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
I asked DX Engineering why they didn't have a 4 port remote switch, and their answer was a good one.

They have kept the cost of their 8 port switch down because the cost of making a 4 or 8 port switch is almost the same.

When you compare the price of the Ameritron RCS-4 to the DX Engineering switch, there is no comparison.

If you only need 4 ports - go for the RCS-4. Value wise and even cost wise, it makes more sense to go for the DXE switch and ground out the 4 ports that you don't think you will ever use (heh heh). DXE even gives you the ground braid to ground the unused ports out.

W5JON Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2008 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Thanks for 8 Ports  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years, I have at one time or another owned just about every antenna switch made. The Isolation on the DXE switch is the BEST by far.

I have had mine for about 4 years, and use only 4 of the 8 Ports. Last year my tower was hit by lightning and the relays on two of the ports were completely blown. Thanks to the great isolation the other six ports remained perfect, and nothing else was blown. The next day I just shifted two of the Yagis to two other good ports.

As there was no rush, I later replaced the four (two on each port) relays, easily purchased from Mouser, all 8 ports are once again available.

Guess you can not have too many ports only to few.

How someone that does not own such a excellent product can rate it, (a 3 at that) I do not understand.

John W5JON