Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch
DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: 8 position remote coax switch. Available with or without control box.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search?keyword=rr8b&dds=1

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Remote Antenna Switch.

W4SK Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2008 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Superior  Time owned: more than 12 months
As previously noted, you get what you pay for. The best radio in the world is useless if the antenna sucks. Do yourself a favor and get one of these.

N1JMS Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2008 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Bulletproof!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The factory provided description cannot even begin to describe the level of quality designed into this unit. It feels like high-end Commercial or Broadcast gear. Excellent isolation and power handling. I don't have any antenna that is actually resonate on any HF band (deed restricted), however, I do run at legal limit when necessary (they can't stop that with a deed) and this switch easily handles the power that is wasted in the line. Great job DX Engineering!

WA2ZOU Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2007 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Switch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was only going to do it once, decided to take the plunge and get the best. This is an OUTSTANDING switch, isolation between ports is great. I had a relay problem on position 1 that I found on a Sunday. Monday morning I got a reply telling me the replacement part would be shipped, Monday afternoon I received a shipping confirmation, no questions asked, a repalcement relay assembly (the ENTIRE guts) was sent. 15 minute replacment and all is well.

VERY well built, and it was the right decision. You want a switch, DX Engineering is the answer!

K5HSV Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2007 22:40 Send this review to a friend
You Get What You Pay For!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This remote antenna switch is built to last. Excellent quality to the smallest detail. I previously owned an Ameritron RC-4. There is absolutely no comparission in quality between the two. With the Ameritron, I was getting so much port blead-over, using my auto-tuner became a chore. At time I couldn't get a decent SWR on 75m. Now it tunes flat in about 1 second. The port seperation is amazing to say the least; greater than >70db. My Ameritron only lasted just shy of 3 years...

I used CAT5-STP for the control cable. It works great and was easy to pull. If you want quality and real seperation, this is one that is worth every penny. Yup... it not cheap but you truly "get what you pay for". DX Engineering, you rock!

Paul - K5HSV

VA5SAM Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2006 10:29 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT QUALITY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the Ameritron 5 position switch for the last 3 years and have had no trouble with it at all. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it does not have real good isolation. My antennas are all mounted on the roof of my house as I have no tower and I was getting RF back from different antennas being so close to each other. I read the specs on the DX Engineering 5KW switch and thought I would give it a try. Amazing is all I can say. The isolation is fantastic and this alone makes the switch worth the extra cost. The control box is also very well made and functions flawlessly. The only think I am really disappointed in is for the price you think they would have include a U clamp so I could fasten the switch to my pole. Come on guys, include a clamp with them.

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2006 06:41 Send this review to a friend
High quality product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After losing my third Ameritron switch to lightning in about 6 years ($75/yr cost to own) I decided to step up. Living close to DXEngineering I gave them a call and found the service helpful and courteous. However, they have stopped manufacturing the 2KW unit ( sold the last one this morning) so I sprung nearly $400 for the 5KW unit and controller, drove over and picked it up. As you might expect, the weight, quality and look of the controller and the remote switching assemby was light years beyond the Ameritron. At over twice the cost, you expect this. Hooking it up with CAT 5 8 conductor wire was made easier by the screw down 10 position plugs used at both ends. The feel of the antenna selector switch was much firmer than my old RCS units which attests to the quality difference. But on receive, the isolation difference is astonishing. With the unit OFF, I hear nothing. With an antenna selected, I hear 59 signals. 70 db isolation (advertised) eliminates most of the leakage signals I noted with the other RCS units. Its truly nice and quiet. Plus my receive white noise seems to be way down. Ive only used this unit for one day with heavy rain and thunderstorm activity, but it seems to introduce no noticeable noise or hash.

All in all, I am very pleased with what I see and expect this unit to last far longer than the cheaper alternative. If it lasts >5 years, the cost of ownership will be less than what Ive used before. ( Ameritron failures usually occurred following thunderstorm activity with no noticeable physical damage. The unit just stops switching antennas, telling me contact failure occurred in the low cost relays.)

And dont forget the quiet, smoothe switching and overall higher quality/ease of use. At a substantial investment.

N5ZC Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2004 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice Switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the DXEngineering DXE-RR8-HD switch without the control box. I am using a Microham band decoder to control the switch.

The switch is built in a very solid aluminum case and comes with a u-bolt/clamp assembly so the switch can be mounted on a mast or tower leg.

One nice touch is the control cable connector. I tinned the leads of my 8 conductor cable and slipped each one into the connector and clamped them down with a screw driver.

The switch needs 9 conductors to operate all 8 ports of the switch. The instructions call for cat 5, 8 conductor cable, and the braid of your coax back to the station is used for ground. I didn't go this route. I used 8 conductor rotor cable, 1 for ground the other 7 for signals. This will only allow me to use 7 ports of the switch. If I need the eighth, I'll run another wire for my ground. No particular reason for this other than I don't have a need for 8 ports right now.

One note about customer service. When I opened the box I was missing the mounting hardware. An email was sent and I received a quick reply saying the missing part would be on the way. Sure enough, 3 days later, the postman dropped of the box with the missing parts.