Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu G-800DXA Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu G-800DXA
Yaesu G-800DXA Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $409
Description: The Yaesu G-800DXA is a medium duty antenna rotator featuring automatic brake release, 450į rotation, overlap indicator, preset control, variable speed control, slow start/stop, and more. The illuminated control box has 360 degree readout, with moveable beam heading template. Supplied with weather-proof motor connector and quick-connect control plug for quick and trouble-free connection.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu G-800DXA.

N3PS Rating: 1/5 Jan 17, 2017 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Not For The Northland  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This rotator is rated to operate down to -20 Celsius. Unfortunately, that translates into only -4 Fahrenheit which is problematic here in Minnesota where temps can drop down to -20 Fahrenheit.

I purchased this rotator this past summer to drive a mass mounted hexbeam. This winter, as soon as the temp dropped below 10 Fahrenheit, the rotator become sluggish and ceased to function until the temp increased back into the double digits.

I subsequently had to crawl up on the roof and wrap six feet of plumbers heat tape around the base of the unit. It is now operable down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am very disappointed with the environment operating range of this unit.

KD9AUZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2015 09:07 Send this review to a friend
GREAT service from Gigaparts!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a Yaesu G-800SA from Gigaprts. Wired it up and--nothing. I did some testing and it was clear that the controller was dead. No help from Yaesu other than "Send it in and we'll examine it".
Wrote to Gigaorts and their response was "If you think its bad send it right back". I did so and 4 day later got and e-mail from them "We tested it and it is bad. New one on the way. By the way, we tested the new one to make sure it was working and its not a general problem with the rotators.It is working". It arrived 3 days later, wired it up last night, works perfectly and is ready to go up tonight.

WOW! Great service from Gigaparts

KK4QBU Rating: 3/5 Jul 2, 2015 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Almost Caught Fire  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this Yaesu G-800DXA June 2014 and today I had to send it back to Yaesu for the second time. The first time I sent it back was in July 2014, it ended up being a bad connector where the rotor control cord hooks to the back of the control unit, this is in my opinion a very poor design it is very delicate, so delicate in fact I'm reluctant to even move it. Today I sent it back because when I powered it up it set for about ten minutes without me doing anything other than powering it up, It started to get really hot the display light went out and it started to smoke, I unplugged it and when I picked it up it was very hot to the touch. It had a very strong odor of electronics burning on the inside. Well I'll let you know how it goes. What chaps me so bad is the fact that I have to keep paying shipping to send it back.

AC8DE Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2015 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Rotator GREAT price point  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the G-800 rotator. The DXA refers to the controller and I do not use Yaesu's controller. I use the Green Heron RT-21 controllers. This rotator is for use with a small to medium tribander or similar in my opinion and is an great choice. It's not perfect however.

Pros:Light weight, tough, dependable if sized properly and at a GREAT price point. The rotator without controller is $275 new! They use high gear reduction in parallel shaft configuration (not planetary gearing like is often cited elsewhere on the web), so there is no brake to worry about jamming. Like any rotator, make sure you donít try to minimally size the rotator to the load you are turning/holding. The floating mast clamp arrangement is nice if using a single thrust bearing on top of your tower. Uses a DC motor, so it can ramp up and down to eliminate shock loading. Very compact; fits in most crank-ups. Good quality metal Nanaboshi multipin round electrical connection.

Cons: Is too lightly greased and a bit noisy from the factory, but unfortunately, I do not recommend opening a new one to regrease it due to the sensitive nature of the pot position unless you are very careful to not lift the upper half off of the lower half when the lower bearing ring is removed. Unfortunately, Yaesu used 100% of the 270 degree potentiometer rotation, so if you are off by more than 1 degree when you reassembly, you will break the potentiometer if your go the full 450 degree from stop-to-stop. (Why not use slightly lower ratio gearing on the pot drive and 250 degree of the rotation of the pot and leave 10 degree at either end from physical limit switch stops?) Knowing this if you rebuild one, make sure you are sure of your potentiometer rotation from stop-to-stop, as there is absolutely ZERO room for potentiometer over-rotation error. Does not use a sealed pot. While not specifically about the rotator itself, Yaesu wants $20 for the service manual. Seems a bit userous in this electronic file age.

The primary drive gear set on the motor (high speed low torque gears) are plastic. Seem to hold up and I'm sure metal ones would make a lot more noise. Seem OK, but it's worth noting.

It isn't a Prosistel or other higher end rotator, but at this price point, itís hard to beat this little guy.

KE1R Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2013 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years I have had several rotators but I like the Yaesu G-800DXA the best. Really like the 360 degree compass panel display to know exactly there the beam is aimed. Sooner or later you may want to make a rotator control test cable with proper connectors on both ends or you may need to replace the connectors on either end. One source for the 6 pin Molex connector is Yaesu Parts at 1-800-366-8431 for $1 with pins plus shipping. The 7 pin (6 conductors from controller to rotator) round connector (PN NJC207PF)on the rotator is available from Yaesu Parts for $50 plus the rubber boot if you want it. A better source for this 7 pin connector is from R and L Electronics, Hamilton,OH, for $19.

WR0F Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 11:05 Send this review to a friend
2 years of awesome   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rotor installed on a Glen Martin Hazer setup now for over 2 years .trouble free !
I had 15 sq ft of vhf uhf antennas on the rotor and it took 80 mph winds with no problems.
I now have a Hygain TH7DX and M2 6M7 6 meter beam on the tower at the present time.
We ordered ours through http://randl.com and also purchased their premade rotor cable assembled for yaesu rotors.

KD8MJR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2011 14:14 Send this review to a friend
The Ratings are Wrong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just wanted to add something to these reviews.

For some Reason people with G-800SDX rotators are posting their reviews under G-800DXA.

1) The 800DXA has no issues with the connector at the controller, it's totaly different from the one on the SDX. The DXA connector clips on and cannot fall off unless you squeeze the release.

2) The connector on the Motor is not soldered on to the motor, it has a beautiful screw on 6 pin DIN connector with water tight seals. This connector can be bought pre assembled from HRO on different lengths of cable or you can buy your own cable and Solder on the connector and then just screw it into the motor.

If the SDX reviews where removed the DXA would probably be a 5/5 rotator.

KJ4VVU Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2011 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Works Great except the connector back of control box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
1. Round connector on rotor very difficult to solder. Needed another pair of hands.

2. Plastic connector on back of control box failed. Had to take apart the box and push the wires back into the connector and do some soldering to fix it.

Yaesu needs to upgrade the control box connectors. After the fix....it's been working fine with a Cushcraft A3S.

KD8MJR Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2011 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Works great, no complaints.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Let me break this down into a few areas

Looks:
Ok so if youíre looking at Yaesu Rotator thereís a pretty good chance that what first got you interested was the look of the controller. Yaesu really got the design aspect of it correct, it looks just as good in person as it does in a catalog and for me that was the first plus.

My System:
I am using on a 800DXA with a 3 element Steppir that has a 30/40 kit installed, the whole thing is up 38ft in the air and has about 6 inches between the top of the Motor clamp to the Antenna itself, I kept it a bit shorter than the approx 1ft that the Yaesu manual said was the longest length for my wind loading.

Installation:
The motor section is fairly light weight but feels very sturdy, but the clamping system is a little worrying as the bolts and the clamps seem to be made of the white metal stuff and I donít get the best of feelings about it, but at this point 3 months later I can say it has survived many 50 mph wind gust and showed no sign of being under any stress. The round connector for the Motors is a nice touch; it makes the wiring so much simpler and waterproofing so much easier. BTW there really is two sets of protective film on the plastic rotator dial. The top layer is obvious and comes off easy but the protective layer on the other side is so thin that you have a hard time even seeing it is there.

Accuracy:
The Rotator is dead on accurate and I give it 5 out of 5 for accuracy,
But in regards to calibration, which is what is needed to get the accuracy I would give it 2 stars. The manual is woefully inadequate and confusing. Look to the web for better documentation from fellow hams. Even so it took several readings before I figured out exactly how to do the calibration properly, and I still had to do it about 5 times before I got it to perfectly come back to the same spot each and every time. Luckily this is only something that you have to do once.

Torque:
Interesting thing is that speed wise this motor is just way too fast! You canít use it at full speed unless you have a super light antenna and at that point why buy this rotator. I end up using it at 1/3 speed, just because anything faster looks like itís creating huge stresses on the motor. Now the Torque is another issue, I have noticed that it spins the Antenna just fine, even in 30-40mph wind it moves just fine but if your moving against the wind you do see some little slowdowns and speeds up when the wind is pushing it, also if you put your hands on an element you can see the motor slow down quite a bit, itís not surprising to me that one reviewer said his motor stalled when he had the mast turned on itís side. Itís almost like the motor gears down under strain or slows itself down electrically.

Operation the first 4 months:
No complaints, the Rotator has pretty much been perfect.
I would recommend this rotator, so far I have found it to be very well built and very easy to use. Also the auto slow down near preset stops is handy and the idiompress card works well in it for PC control.

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2010 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Works as specified  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed this rotator with a new MA5B on a 2" mast. I like the variable speed control and the preset control. It sets up easy and is easy to adjust. It seems to have a very positive and controlled operation. I like the compact size and light weight. It seems to be very well designed. Fit and finish is superior. (And it is made in Japan, not China or other outsourced Asia - nice thing to see for a change). All the fasteners are top quality and generously coated with what appears to be a galvanized coating. Care is needed to be taken when mounting not to over stress the cast aluminum clamps. They are strong, but could break if secured improperly. It seems Yaesu really wants you to know this fact, as there are plenty of written warnings in the documentation supplied. The connector on the rotor is top quality, but the molex style connector on the controller is not that great per the observation of other reviewers. Just take care in that regard. The controller is nicely styled and looks great with its illuminated compass scale. And it is easy to see. There is no doubt in which direction the antenna is pointing. The rotator/controller only needs a six wire cable. I bought an eight wire cable and used the two unused wires to double up with the wires to the motor reducing copper loss. If that helps I don't know, but I am sure it doesn't hurt as the extra wire was there in the cable. So far I am very pleased and would recommend this product to anyone in need of a good quality rotator.