Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hammarlund HQ-110 Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund HQ-110
Hammarlund HQ-110 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: 160 thru 6 Meter Amateur Band Receiver

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund HQ-110.

WA2ASB Rating: 3/5 Mar 22, 2012 19:55 Send this review to a friend
A dream come true  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first receiver was a National SW-54, which I used in conjunction with my Heathkit DX-20. I didn't make many contacts. My dream was the Hammarlund HQ-110, but how to make that dream come true eluded me for quite awhile. Living in Syracuse, NY exposed me to some serious winters, which after awhile caused a friend to decide to give up his morning paper route. I took it and along with my night paper route finally saved up enough for the HQ-110. It was just what I needed to make contacts, and it covered the 6 meter band. Unfortunately it had some problems. It would just cut out at times. I took it to a local Radio/TV repair shop and he thought it had something to do with the bandswitch. It did work on 6 meters and I married it to a Tecraft transmitter and Knight VFO. It was good until I wanted to work SSB on the HF bands. The linear detector just didn't cut it. For years it set in the attic until I got tired of hearing my wife tell me to clean out the attic. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.

W7EKB Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2010 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Good, inexpensive receiver.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My HQ-110C was given to me in pretty good condition. After a thorough alignment, it worked very well. It is plenty sensitive, selectivity is good after the operator has learned how to use the "Q" Multiplier, and it is pretty stable. Calibration accuracy is quite good, and it has a built-in 100 Khz calibrator. It is a Ham-Band Only receiver covering 160 through 6 meters. I would have loved to have had one when I was a Novice in 1956. For CW/SSB, the detector is a kind of product detector which uses the last IF tube, but there is no AGC when the BFO is on, so using it for SSB is rather difficult. In my opinion, if you like "Novice Specials", you would like this receiver. They are quite common on eBay and generally sell for reasonable prices. It is important to jumper the unused terminal on the back for a doublet-antenna to the adjacent ground terminal or sensitivity on 160 and 80 will be down.

W8AAZ Rating: 2/5 Aug 12, 2009 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Be sure it is a good one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one and it needed help, although basically sort of functional. Bought it from an ebayer that sold it as is and it had crud all over the chassis. Cleaned it up and had it looking perfect, but it had a bad pot, the RF gain I think? There is a pot in those that is an oddball that is irreplaceable as far as I know. I think it was ganged and had an odd characteristic to it. Since I could not find this bad pot replacement, I just eventually sold it to another sucker, as is. Would have been a nice little rx if it did not have the fatal flaw, nice to know about those unobtainiums before you buy something!

WB6Q Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2004 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Good in its day  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a HQ110A in 1965. It was a good mid priced receiver in it's day. However it was not nearly as good as the HQ170A or Collins receivers of the same vintage. Compared to todays receivers of course it does not compare. It was about 50 times better than my first receiver BC348 (early 1950's)

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2004 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Vintage RX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having bought and restored a couple of these receivers, I've found them to be a first class piece of equipment. No, it doesn't have a product detector or crystal filters, but it does have a Q-multiplier. In it's day, it wasn't the Cadillac of receivers, it was more like the Buick. Quite a bit more than the Chevy. It has excellent sensitivity, good selectivity when you get use to using the Q-multiplier and does an excellent job on receiving AM. Itr is built like a tank! I use it with an Hallicrafters HT-40 on AM and CW. It brings back memories of yesteryear. If you can find one on eBay or used somewhere, I highly recommend it.