Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters HT-40 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters HT-40
Hallicrafters HT-40 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $89.95 kit, 109.95 wired/
Description: 80 thru 6 Meter Vintage Transmitter

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters HT-40.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2011 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Good 'old radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first radio, as a novice, in 1971. Purchased from a another ham with a Dow Key relay for $40. Along with a Heath HR-10B (an essentially "filterless" receiver) I spent that summer making QSO's on 40 and 15 meters using crystals. Tuned it up using a lightbulb. I used it even after I upgraded to Advanced and it never failed me. It was in its day a solid well designed and simple rig that many novices cut their teeth on and more than a few continued to use them, as I did, after upgrading.

KE4EZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2009 11:35 Send this review to a friend
FB RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a FB Rig!I used this TX with a broad as a barn door National NC-88 in my Novice daze and worked the world with it.Many fond memoriesof carefree summer nights in my room with the window open the breeze drifting through the old NC-88 and HT-40 bringing the scent of RADIO into the air listening to the sounds of DX and the background crickets chripping yup good times...
40 and 80 meter CW Novice band bedlam... never had any problems with the rig always worked and sounded FB CW and AM If you have a chance to add one to the shack you won't be sorry.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2004 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Fine Vintage TX  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This fine Vintage AM/CW transmitter runs about 50 watts out on 80 -20, 45 watts out on 15 and 10, and about 15 watts out on 6 meters. Keying with either crystal or a VFO is nice and the AM sounds good from reports I've gotten on the air. Even though the AM is carrier controlled modulation, many reports have told me that if I didn't mention it, and they didn't see the S-Meter move, they wouldn't know it wasn't plate modulation. Tubes are a little difficult to locate, but if you can get them, this is a nice transmitter to run in your vintage station.