Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Proline PR-20 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Proline PR-20
Heil Proline PR-20 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$169 USD
Description: 40 ~ 18000 Hz Frequencie respond Cardiod Type MIC
Replacement Of the Goldlinepro.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil Proline PR-20.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice - but overkill  Time owned: more than 12 months
HEIL PR-20 is a very nice microphone, and it works well with all my radios, and music studio recording equipment. Nice tone, balanced, linear pickup through the vocal frequency range. Very attractive fit and finish, it looks and feels expensive.

Unfortunately... it is overkill for this application. At approx $140 typical street price, it is a fairly costly and expensive option, considering nearly ANY decent dynamic microphone can faithfully reproduce the human voice within the 3 KHz frequency bandwidth of a ham radio transceiver. Almost any microphone will be sufficiently linear (i.e., have a flat frequency response) over the 150 - 3500 Hz vocal frequency spectrum, so there is no need for a microphone with a 50Hz-18kHz frequency response. An AudioTEchnica MB-1000L for $45 will sound more clear and crisp, and have equally linear response over the vocal frequency spectrum, as the PR-20.

Nevertheless, the PR-20 IS a particularly handsome, attractive piece of equipment and looks good in the shack. It WILL sound good, and work well with a ham transceiver. It WILL be an excellent vocal microphone, or microphone for general recording, if you ever employ it for other purposes.

So, while you cannot go wrong with the HEIL PR-20 microphone, I feel one can do just as well with many lower cost microphones and use the savings to purchase other goodies for the shack. How do I know? Because I have been a microphone product tester and reviewer, testing a great many different microphones for a different, but closely related commercial purpose, for more than a decade. I received MY PR-20 as partial compensation for writing a product review of it compared to a Sennheiser e835, which costs 2/3 the price of the HEIL PR-20 and is every bit as good. So, while I think the HEIL PR-20 is a very good microphone, it is, ultimately overkill for ham radio purposes, and about $40 over priced compared to the competition.

This is, of course, just MY take... // James - K8JHR //

KI6AKR Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2006 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Studio sound at economy price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm running the PR-20 through an equalizer to provide that needed boost in volume that most non-preamplified mikes require. Given that, the non-solicited modulation reports I receive now are "studio quality."

As far as pop filters are concerned, just do as the old-time radio singers/announcers and recording artists did - turn your head (move your mouth) slightly away from the mike momentarily before you pronounce any word with a "P" in it. Works like a charm!

73 from KI6AKR

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2006 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's GREAT. Words cannot say. Liston to one next to a stock one and you will hear the difference.

KE4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2006 16:34 Send this review to a friend
GREAT "NOW"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I said "NOW" because things started out BAD with the PR-20 on Christmas 2005.I was VERY pleased when I connected the PR-20 into my ICOM 756 PROII BUT then after about 20 minutes that stopped!It then sounded as if a lightning storm was going on every time I transmitted.(SEVERE static) I contacted the dealer where the mike was purchased & he sent me another NEW PR-20 & CC-1XLRI cable.I contacted Bob Heil & he suggested the problem was the ICOM 756 PROII & "NOT"the microphone or HEIL cable at fault.I sent the mike & cable to Heil for a checkup & found it was the HEIL CABLE that was defective & NOT the ICOM 756 PROII.The second cable sent by the dealer was ALSO defective & returned to him for shipping back to HEIL for repair or replacement.I NOW am VERY happy with the way the PR-20 sounds & get GREAT audio reports WITHOUT any help from external mixers or afte market EQ setups as I did with the ICOM SM-20 I was using before I went to a hands free operation. Looks as if their may be some QUALITY control issues at HEIL but the PR-20 does work GREAT with a GOOD cable installed!

W4HWD Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Typical Heil.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After owning a BM-5 and BM-10 (and loving them!) I decided to go for a broadcast-type mic, and I settled on the PR-20. This mic going straight into the radio didn't do much for me but coupled with the W2IHY 8-band EQ it's one half of a stellar duo! A smooth flat response, quality build and rugged, plus pleasing to look at and talk in to! Get one. I don't think there's much of a difference between it and it's bigger brothers, except price...it's a keeper!

KG4-CXA Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2005 19:43 Send this review to a friend
good sound!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i decided to listen to alot of bob's microphones before i got this and honestly it isnt far behind the pr-30"my opinion".im not familiar with the mod but if it makes it sound better than ill give it a try.of course most of the time i run the w2ihy 8 bander and the eq plus.this mic gives me more bottom end which is what i like."sounds killer on every kenwood ive heard as well as the icom pro series"

G4MJA Rating: 2/5 Dec 8, 2005 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Not Impressed!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I previously owned a Heil GM5 with the Studio insert & ran this in combination with a W2IHY 8 band EQ into a TS870S with great results. Having had such good results I bought the PR-20- bad move. The first one I had was faulty & gave the audio a very restricted sound - I returned the mic to the dealer who replaced it with a new one. This mic was better but again sounded restricted & 'boxy'no matter how I ran it either straight into the rig or EQ'ed. I sold the mic & bought a studio electret condenser, an Audio Technica AT4033A.The difference is outstanding!! End result is, I would happily buy another GM-5 but not a PR-20 & it does seem I am not alone.

M0IKQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2005 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Plugged straight into a Kenwood TS-870, it delivers.
Sorry Julius but the 8 band is for sale.

Settings, Menu A (Ragchew)

Menu 29: 3000
Menu 30: 100
Menu 31: H

Settings, Menu B (DX)

Menu 29: 2600
Menu 30: 400
Menu 31: H

Highly recommended, big thumbs up.
Thanks Bob.

W4TME Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2005 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Mine is great too.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the PR-20 and I have used it connected directly to my 756 Pro II using both the mic and ACC1 inputs and it works great. I did add a cap to the mic cable to knock out some RFI. I found that the Pro II did not have enough range in the TX EQ to make me happy, so I am using the W2IHY EqPlus with the 8-Band EQ. This combination ROCKS!!! I get unsolicated audio reports of "great", "really full sounding" and "nice audio" all the time.

Like K7JQ said, you have to make sure you do not over drive the rig or use too much compression. It does take a little while to set it up.

Also, If Bob suggested installing a resistor, then I'd dust off the soldering iron and put one in. Remember one size doesn't all. Nothing is truly plug and play. This is a technical hobby.

-Tim

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2005 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
In response to the last review, I use a Goldline Pro (now the PR-20)with a '746PRO and a 756PROIII and it is strictly plug and play, with unsolicited glowing, natural audio reports...no outboard equipment. I put their foam windscreen on it to reduce any possible breath noise. Make sure to keep the mic gain within normal ALC limits and watch the level of compression, if used. On both radios, bass and treble can be adjusted for natural voice characteristics.