Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | EMTECH ZM-2 ATU Help

Reviews Summary for EMTECH ZM-2 ATU
EMTECH ZM-2 ATU Reviews: 63 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Complete kit, all parts furnished
More info: http://emtech.steadynet.com/zmdesc.htm

You can write your own review of the EMTECH ZM-2 ATU.

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Good for QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought factory made one. Excellent small, light tuner.
Used it a couple years ago for QRP Field Day.

AB1AW Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Handy, versatile little tuner.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned three of these over the past ten years. Each time I sold one I later regretted it and bought a new one. First two I had were kits, the third I purchased pre-assembled. Either way is a great deal.

High quality and versatile. I've used them with all sorts of wire antennas, doublets, dipoles, etc., 160m thru 6m (yes, it tunes six meters quite nicely into an end-fed long-wire antenna).

If you are a minimalist QRP operator (like me), this tuner is for you.

W5HEH Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Low Power light weight tuner   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does a very good job , small and light for portable and Backpacking . I also purchased it with pre-wound toroids cause my thick Hillbilly hands would have trouble , hihi. Went together well , watched youtubes and photos on website to assist.
Well Done Emtech !

KE7VXP Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Built the kit with prewound toroids. Why spend the time winding them when Emtech does it right and it doesn't cost much? Fun to build but not for beginners. Tunes my 400 ohm balanced double Zepp on all bands. Very good product.

K1PMA Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Weird little box - seems to work OK but no miracle machine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was looking for a tuner for my new Yaesu FT817ND QRP radio. Somehow came across this device in some forum and decided to give it a try. Bought the assembled version, not the kit. Now, the truth is it can tune a lot of antennas, but not just about everything as some people say or the manufacturer indirectly claims (rain gutters, chain link fence, similar claims). When hooked up to my home G5RV 25ft up in the trees I can tune it on 40 & 20M and get the indicator light to extinguish fully (~1 SWR). With 80M, no such luck. With a 40FT random wire the story is different. Can't tune it on 40 or 20M. The light will get a little dimmer but no even close to going out. I don't get the HISWR warning that would show up without any tuner at all but there are 3-4 SWR bars. But for some reason I still like this thing, one reason being it needs no power of any kind.

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Take it everywhere and tune what you have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a ZM-2 ATU for several years. I built it from kit shortly after building the Emtech NW8040.

This is a great little tuner. I take it for portable ops from hotels, backbacking -- and I use it at home for my qrp station. It can be a bit tricky to get the hang of a z-match but once you do, it's easy. I rough-tune it by listening to noise or ongoing QSOs, and then fine-tune it using the built-in swr indicator.

I have used this for ladder-line fed dipoles and random wire that I have thrown into trees. It works beautifully. I've never fed it more than 7 watts -- but for QRP stuff it handles anything I've thrown at it.

PA3CNT Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 05:00 Send this review to a friend
A tip for tuning faster  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Use this nice tuner for portable operations with my FT817.
Finding a dip with the LED might be difficult, because the dip is often narrow, and the LED is at full brightness until you're nearly on the dip.
Tuning is usually easier by observing the SWR on the rig until that's sufficient, then fine tune on the LED.

Rob, PA3CNT

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2013 20:03 Send this review to a friend
cant say emough  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for many years. But I have not been able to use it tell this year. It totally rocks, and Has spoiled me for other tuners. It tunes so fast! I totally love it. I really lets me try things I could not normally try with other tuners. I do not really know how to say how much I like this thing, There are little things that drive me nuts about the unit. If I ever build another I will change some of those. The unit should be in another box with connections on the back. But it works so good I will over look all of that. For life with my Ft-817nd it is something I depend on. It tunes fast and always works.

M0JHA Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 14:27 Send this review to a friend
spot on   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using this atu for a while now and love it , just ordered another , it will tune a sausage :-)

Converted to Z match for sure now ..

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Simple and effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
Others have described this ATU better than I
It's a winner and only the "Altoid can" tuners are smaller
It's lightweight, easy to pack, and quick to set up.
It delivers QSOs with most any 1/4 wave wire plus counterpoise.
I like it