Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | EMTECH ZM-2 ATU Help

Reviews Summary for EMTECH ZM-2 ATU
EMTECH ZM-2 ATU Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Complete kit, all parts furnished
More info: http://emtech.steadynet.com/zmdesc.htm

You can write your own review of the EMTECH ZM-2 ATU.

K1PMA Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Weird little box - seems to work OK but no miracle machine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was looking for a tuner for my new Yaesu FT817ND QRP radio. Somehow came across this device in some forum and decided to give it a try. Bought the assembled version, not the kit. Now, the truth is it can tune a lot of antennas, but not just about everything as some people say or the manufacturer indirectly claims (rain gutters, chain link fence, similar claims). When hooked up to my home G5RV 25ft up in the trees I can tune it on 40 & 20M and get the indicator light to extinguish fully (~1 SWR). With 80M, no such luck. With a 40FT random wire the story is different. Can't tune it on 40 or 20M. The light will get a little dimmer but no even close to going out. I don't get the HISWR warning that would show up without any tuner at all but there are 3-4 SWR bars. But for some reason I still like this thing, one reason being it needs no power of any kind.

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Take it everywhere and tune what you have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a ZM-2 ATU for several years. I built it from kit shortly after building the Emtech NW8040.

This is a great little tuner. I take it for portable ops from hotels, backbacking -- and I use it at home for my qrp station. It can be a bit tricky to get the hang of a z-match but once you do, it's easy. I rough-tune it by listening to noise or ongoing QSOs, and then fine-tune it using the built-in swr indicator.

I have used this for ladder-line fed dipoles and random wire that I have thrown into trees. It works beautifully. I've never fed it more than 7 watts -- but for QRP stuff it handles anything I've thrown at it.

PA3CNT Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 05:00 Send this review to a friend
A tip for tuning faster  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Use this nice tuner for portable operations with my FT817.
Finding a dip with the LED might be difficult, because the dip is often narrow, and the LED is at full brightness until you're nearly on the dip.
Tuning is usually easier by observing the SWR on the rig until that's sufficient, then fine tune on the LED.

Rob, PA3CNT

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2013 20:03 Send this review to a friend
cant say emough  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for many years. But I have not been able to use it tell this year. It totally rocks, and Has spoiled me for other tuners. It tunes so fast! I totally love it. I really lets me try things I could not normally try with other tuners. I do not really know how to say how much I like this thing, There are little things that drive me nuts about the unit. If I ever build another I will change some of those. The unit should be in another box with connections on the back. But it works so good I will over look all of that. For life with my Ft-817nd it is something I depend on. It tunes fast and always works.

M0JHA Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 14:27 Send this review to a friend
spot on   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using this atu for a while now and love it , just ordered another , it will tune a sausage :-)

Converted to Z match for sure now ..

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Simple and effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
Others have described this ATU better than I
It's a winner and only the "Altoid can" tuners are smaller
It's lightweight, easy to pack, and quick to set up.
It delivers QSOs with most any 1/4 wave wire plus counterpoise.
I like it

KD2UJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2013 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Different, fun, functional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First kit I built with no printed circuit board, everything is "up in the air." Paying attention to details was key to a successful build. It seems that I am destined to always install LEDs backwards and, sure enough, I did with this kit. Once I reversed the leads, thinks looked a lot better. There are excellent videos and photos on the Emtech site that supplement the manual very nicely.

I have a dipole cut very closely to 3,990KHz. Using a YouKits HB-1B (aka TenTec R4040), I was able to tune to 7,050KHz with zero reflected power in, literally, a matter of seconds. Can't wait to try it on my Buddistick.

All in all, a fun kit to build (including winding the 2 toroids) and a great addition to my growing portable QRP station. Don't leave home without it.

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a wonderful portable qrp tuner. I've been using one for the past few years always with excellent results. A fun kit to build, I also purchased several factory assembled units. This quality unit will tune nearly everything. This tuner will save your transceiver finals as it sees 50 ohms while tuning. Tuning is fast with no batteries or supply needed. Because of this I prefer the ZM-2 over an automatic tuner. Thanks Emtech for a quality product!

N7AG Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 23:52 Send this review to a friend
A-1 coax or balanced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK price, between manual & pix on website construction good, no holes to drill, professional looks, works GREAT, has tuning "meter". Observe px limit, 15 watts. Fits in pocket.

M0JHA Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2013 08:41 Send this review to a friend
does what it says on the tin   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built this recently and left a review re the build but have now had chance to try the unit out .. On a random length of wire ( and it was just random ) and a random counterpoise the unit tuned up to a flat swr on all bands i tried with my HB1B ( 80/40/30 and 20) . A guestimate would of been the wire was around 25 foot long ..

Tuning was sharp but doesn't take long at all to get used too , as many have stated simply tune in operate mode for max RX then flick the switch to Tune and tune for lowest or extinguished LED ..I really like this little atu and will be going /p with me , even considering another for the shack to be honest .

As for it's performance i won't comment as there are too many variables with antennas especially while /p to give an accurate comment , someone loading up a 10 foot wire strapped to a tree limb on 40m isn't going to get the same results as someone loading a 100 foot wire 50 foot in the air..