Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | EMTECH ZM-2 ATU Help

Reviews Summary for EMTECH ZM-2 ATU
EMTECH ZM-2 ATU Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Complete kit, all parts furnished
More info: http://emtech.steadynet.com/zmdesc.htm

You can write your own review of the EMTECH ZM-2 ATU.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2016 17:46 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok, it looks crap, for what it is it seems expensive, BUT - IT WORKS. A wet noodle up a tree, dim the led bingo! You are "tuned" up and ready to go. I've aquired three of them over the years and use them all the time for portable ops. Power limit is 15 watts, so it doesn't replace your you-beaut MFJ, but it isn't intended to. It is small and easily packed into your GO bag. I recommend the ZM-2 very highly.

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Very nice, old school  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very impressed with my new tuner,I purchased the pre built unit build quality was excellent, my only critique on that is the paper dial plate, rather cheesy but the tuner works fantastic very fast tune ups, I am using it with a new Xiegu X108G (review coming up) and after you have tuned for maximum receive signal one shout in the mic and you can tune it to minimum SWR on the X108G meter in a second I don't even use the excellent LED tuning device incorporated in the meter. If you are looking for a non automatic but just as fast tuner for QRP you will not go wrong with this unit

K0OG Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, Easy to Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the BNC version of the kit in last Saturday's mail, so spent some time Saturday afternoon building it. I found the instructions accurate, and the kit was easy to build - a fun project. It took about 5 hours total to build, but I went slowly and took some breaks. What is most impressive is that the tuner worked on the first try, and I found it easier and quicker to tune than the MFJ-971 QRP tuner I was using. I've used it to make many SSB and digital contacts the last few days, and it seems that I'm getting better results than with the MFJ tuner, which surprises me. I also noticed that received signal strength seems better than with the MFJ tuner. I wonder if the ZM-2 Z-match design is mor efficient than the T-match design. From a theoretical perspective, I would not think so, but my results are impressive. My station consists of a Yaesu FT-817nd, the ZM-2 into a G5RV inverted-V with the apex at about 35 feet. I highly recommend this tuner for QRP operations. The price is right, it is much smaller and lighter than my MFJ-971 tuner, and performance is excellent.

By the way, the assembly/operator manual can be found on-line at:

-Joe-
K0OG

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Good for QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought factory made one. Excellent small, light tuner.
Used it a couple years ago for QRP Field Day.

AB1AW Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Handy, versatile little tuner.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned three of these over the past ten years. Each time I sold one I later regretted it and bought a new one. First two I had were kits, the third I purchased pre-assembled. Either way is a great deal.

High quality and versatile. I've used them with all sorts of wire antennas, doublets, dipoles, etc., 160m thru 6m (yes, it tunes six meters quite nicely into an end-fed long-wire antenna).

If you are a minimalist QRP operator (like me), this tuner is for you.

W5HEH Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Low Power light weight tuner   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does a very good job , small and light for portable and Backpacking . I also purchased it with pre-wound toroids cause my thick Hillbilly hands would have trouble , hihi. Went together well , watched youtubes and photos on website to assist.
Well Done Emtech !

KE7VXP Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Built the kit with prewound toroids. Why spend the time winding them when Emtech does it right and it doesn't cost much? Fun to build but not for beginners. Tunes my 400 ohm balanced double Zepp on all bands. Very good product.

K1PMA Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Weird little box - seems to work OK but no miracle machine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was looking for a tuner for my new Yaesu FT817ND QRP radio. Somehow came across this device in some forum and decided to give it a try. Bought the assembled version, not the kit. Now, the truth is it can tune a lot of antennas, but not just about everything as some people say or the manufacturer indirectly claims (rain gutters, chain link fence, similar claims). When hooked up to my home G5RV 25ft up in the trees I can tune it on 40 & 20M and get the indicator light to extinguish fully (~1 SWR). With 80M, no such luck. With a 40FT random wire the story is different. Can't tune it on 40 or 20M. The light will get a little dimmer but no even close to going out. I don't get the HISWR warning that would show up without any tuner at all but there are 3-4 SWR bars. But for some reason I still like this thing, one reason being it needs no power of any kind.

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Take it everywhere and tune what you have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a ZM-2 ATU for several years. I built it from kit shortly after building the Emtech NW8040.

This is a great little tuner. I take it for portable ops from hotels, backbacking -- and I use it at home for my qrp station. It can be a bit tricky to get the hang of a z-match but once you do, it's easy. I rough-tune it by listening to noise or ongoing QSOs, and then fine-tune it using the built-in swr indicator.

I have used this for ladder-line fed dipoles and random wire that I have thrown into trees. It works beautifully. I've never fed it more than 7 watts -- but for QRP stuff it handles anything I've thrown at it.

PA3CNT Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 05:00 Send this review to a friend
A tip for tuning faster  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Use this nice tuner for portable operations with my FT817.
Finding a dip with the LED might be difficult, because the dip is often narrow, and the LED is at full brightness until you're nearly on the dip.
Tuning is usually easier by observing the SWR on the rig until that's sufficient, then fine tune on the LED.

Rob, PA3CNT