Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-2.5/80 XTL Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-2.5/80 XTL
Hi-Q-2.5/80 XTL Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: The Hi-Q-2.5/80 XTL (ExtraLight) is a 3.5 lb HF Remotelly Tunable 10-80 M HF mobile High Performance antenna.
It was designed with XYL input and have received many YL/XYL approoval at ALL of the Ham Conventions visited by Hi-Q.
The idea is to provide GREAT performance with a GREAT looking HIGH Quality HF Mobile antenna for DISCRIMINATING HF mobilers those who are NOT satisfied with BIG resistors/RF dissipators as an antenna.
Why be DOUBLY QRP? Radiate that signal with a Hi-Q antenna!
Don't be satisfied with QRP performance with brand X antennas, WORK the World the Hi-Q XTL antenna.
See technical details on the website; www.hiqantennas.com
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-2.5/80 XTL.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Mobile and Portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well after 5 years, the Hi-Q 2.5/80 XTL antenna never ceases to amaze me. I purchased the tune-a-dipole version which I use portable and also as a single on my truck for mobile use. I also tried it in a tripod as a single vertical, this antenna system has so many uses. Stations give me favorable reports which sometimes better my home vertical however since I operate mobile on the beach, the salt water has something to do with that. As a mobile, it replaced my Outbacker Tri-Split and my Hamstick rotatable dipole on my tripod. My favorite frequencies I love are working SSB on 7.190 MHz (Triple H Net, PSK31 on 14.070.15 MHz to JT65 on 14.076 MHz. Now I'm thinking of upgrading to the 5/160 version and trying out 160m from my truck and tripod. No matter, you can't go wrong with any of their models. 73, Delwyn KH6DC

N3ALN Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 08:35 Send this review to a friend
The antenna’s construction is top quality and I am very happy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned a Hi-Q-2.5/80 RT-S (Short) for a few months now and I have enjoyed every minute of it. It was a bit hard for me to install because I am not very mechanical and I did need some help from a fellow ham and there is a yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiqantennas/). Once it was installed it took a bit to get it to have a low SWR and I ended up having to experiment with a few different size whips (a 24” whip did the trick!). I also used a simple switch to tune the antenna and it works great! Once it was installed and setup the Hi-Q-2.5/80 RT-S (Short) performs wonderfully. I have a blast on trips working DX with great signal reports. The antenna’s construction is top quality and I am very happy with my purchase.

KL1HO Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2005 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Mobile performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own and have used several mobile antennas; however this one out performs them all!
I went with the XLT version for the weight (or lack of), it is mounted on a 2003 Subaru Outback Sport, left rear hatchback with the Diamond K400 mount. Whip is fiberglass marine version cut to 70", also weight savings over the stainless steel whip. Radio is FT857D. I really like that the antenna length does not change as in other screwdriver antennas, (I own) as the contact moves up and down inside the coil, this gives you full legal height on all bands. The quick disconnects are very solid and extremely nice for antenna removal prior to entering the garage.
My QTH is in Alaska, extreme cold does not affect any of the antennas moving components or performance, and the only issue I have experience is icing/de-tuning, which in my option is no fault of the antenna, just Mother Nature. We get a lot of freezing rain here on the coast, so to remedy this I took a large bicycle inner-tube and covered the coil, not only does the rubber not collect ice as much but it prevents the ice from forming a continuity bridge between the top and bottom of the coil, de-tuning the antenna, works great!
I have about a hour drive to and from work daily and with my work schedule I get to work 20m, 17m on the drive in and nightly check into a 75m net/group on the commute home and continually receive great signal reports. It will work 6m – 80m as advertised with absolutely no problems. I can say with great confidence that if I can hear them, I can work them—something to say for mobile--
I would recommend this antenna to anyone wanting a lightweight High performance mobile antenna, not to mention that Charlie (W6HIQ) is the best to deal with, very helpful and just plain good people! A-1 customer service!

Mike KL1HO