Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ADI AT-201 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AT-201
ADI AT-201 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Hand held
More info: http://www.adi-radio.com/amateurradio/handhelds/mono/

You can write your own review of the ADI AT-201.

KA8BYU Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2012 19:12 Send this review to a friend
good basic 2 m radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
great basic radio for 2 meters, I have the extended battery as well as the standard pack plus 2 of the aa battery cases I also have the at-401 uhf radio, had the at-200 first it survived a fall off the roof of my car onto the highway when I lived in ohio, it was scuffed and the vol/ channel knobs were gone but it still worked, it is still in service as an aprs radio, agree about the squelch adjustment I would give it a 4.5 just because of that. I also have the cig lighter power cord and it works well to power the radio in the car, they are hard to find but sometimes show up on Ebay used, if you find one grab it.

KB1NJR Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2009 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Not too shabby!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first radio I bought after earning my Technician license. I fell away from the hobby for a while, but recently got back into it. The AT-201 is currently serving as my primary base, mobile, and portable rig and its performance isn't too bad. For $100 or less, it's been a great tool for me to learn on.

I also recently purchased the AT-401 440 MHz rig from Pryme Radio, but the AC power adapter doesn't fit the radio or the battery, but on the short battery life I get from it, it performs as well as the 201 (they're identical in terms of case, appearance, and programming).

KC7SBQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2009 10:41 Send this review to a friend
ADI AT-201 It's a good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my AT-201 five years ago. I have never had a technical problem with it. It has had a hard life, I have accidently dropped it many times, and gotten it wet (although I let it dry thoroughly before powering it up) and it has never let me down. I cracked the outside display bezel, but it does not affect the ability to read the display. I am still on the original battery and I am pleased with the radio's battery life. My only complaint is the internal speaker is too small, therefore it does not sound good or clear. I added an external mic/speaker to overcome that problem. It is fairly easy to program. It does not have a lot of gimmicks that muck up ease of operation. The manual is fairly easy to understand. It is not the most compact handheld, yet that is its beauty, the components are not crammed in the radio so tight that it affects their longevity. Operating the radio creates no heat issues for the internal components. I would recommend this radio to a friend, It is a god radio especially for a plastic cased radio costing under $100.

W2ZXN Rating: 3/5 Oct 5, 2007 14:11 Send this review to a friend
RADIO VS BATTERY AT-201  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my AT-201 at a hamfest, it was new in-box. This was my first radio as a ham. It has fell on the ground a couple of times and despite a couple of scratches, it still works fine. The battery is a little iffy since it does not like to hold a charge for longer than a couple of hours (standby time), but the radio remains fully operational. It's a tiny tank, but it does have it's issues... Too many features in such a odd-package make for a bad combination. The feature button, which changes the operation of about every button on the radio when pressed, it a pain to hold down while trying to perform some minor tasks; The tiny indented knob to adjust the squelch is not easy rotated without a screw-driver or a dime or a really long nail. And through it all, I still have this Radio and I have no plans of selling it. It makes for a nice receieve and an excellant transmit once you FINALLY get it programmed and setup to your liking. 73

KB1FFX Rating: 1/5 Nov 17, 2006 18:49 Send this review to a friend
not worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these for about 3 months. The quality leaves a lot to be desired. It felt like it would break if you squeezed it too hard. Not to even think what would happen if you dropped it on the ground???? Just a crappy radio. IMHO>..

KI4OGD Rating: 3/5 Jun 8, 2006 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Good, but a little hit-or-miss  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I borrowed an AT-201 from another HAM, and I must say the rig is pretty decent for the short amount of time i used it. Decent transmit, decent recieve, and easily accessed features. Just a few gripes when the rig works; the rig gets hot quickly-almost to the point of burning. Also, the squelch is almost impossible to use whilst driving, or anything else where only one had is used for operation. The stock antenna is also a little disappointing, but one must remember the price tag for the package.

My biggest issue with the radio came whilst completing a QSO on the local repeater. The tx on the radio cut out, for what seemed to be no apparent reason. Solved the problem after a second of figuring out what happened by turning off the rig and turning it back on. This solved the problem, and I completed the QSO. Then, a few minutes later, the radio's rx cuts out. The same solution solved this problem. The radio worked fine from thereon out. I was operating on a power supply (ruling out dead battery). To this day, I have no clue what happened...

Seems to me, from reading other reviews, there have been a fair amount of issues with this rig, although my experience with the rig is abbreviated, I felt I was able to get some good use of the radio, even with its shortcomings.

Besides a few minor design flaws, the AT-201 is a decent rig for the $100 price tag-if you can find one that isn't flawed...

W3DBB Rating: 3/5 Apr 19, 2006 19:23 Send this review to a friend
better on transmit than receive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had an ADI AT-201 for a few years and it was my first handheld, purchased after being licensed for more than a dozen years. The purchase price (sans shipping) was under $100. Knowing what I know now about the AT-201 I would take a chance on an ICOM IC-2TH (even though I am not an afficionado of Inouye) for about the same money, but hindsight is always 20:20.

As the title describes, the ADI AT-201 tranmits very well with a proper antenna, the strong point of this rig. The original NiMH battery pack has held up well and gives good service. The firmware, although it has an outdated clunkiness compared to more modern handhelds, enables the AT-201 to be programmed hassle-free.

The receive section in my AT-201 transceiver has always imparted an annoying yowl noticable on all received signals. It sounds like the kind of noise one might hear on a primitive regenerative receiver. Could be a quality/assembly line alignment issue.

If the receiver were better I could recommend the AT-201 wholeheartedly. As it stands I suggest those in the market for a low-cost handheld look elsewhere.

I always liked ADI and was hoping they would grow in the Amateur marketplace, similar to the Alinco story. However, ADI seems to be fading away from the amateur market, which is is quite competitive with the transceivers offered by a handful of manufacturers, and ADI's products were never that good, although they did have a slight price advantage.

The last few times I've looked at ADI's website the company appears to have switched it's focus from Amateur products to products geared to the public safety market, probably a result of all of the DHS money floating around.

Doug Burlew, KA3TGV

KG6FWT Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2006 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the first rig I bought as a newly licensed Ham and I use it in my Go-Kit regularly at events my club helps out at. For ARES work, K.I.S.S. and this one is that.

Eats batteries at full power, but I have several spare cases loaded and ready to swap out when the other dies.

One hassle: I'd like to run this thing solely off an external 12VDC battery, but I can't locate a power plug that does the job. The ones w/the correct diameter are designed for a fatter pin in the socket and mine is too narrow to make contact w/the jacks that fit in the hole. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone built a 12V version of the spare battery pack? All the ones I have run it at 7.2V/9V, using rechargables or alkalines. Be nice to go full power w/a spare pack.

And One last thing: Is there a Yahoo group for this radio?

Jim Falls
KG6FWT
Eureka, CA

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2006 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not only did I buy the ADI AT-201 but also the ADI AT-401. I have had NO problems with either HT. When I bought them used the batteries were barely working so I ordered brand new batteries, two each for both HT's. I have had no problems tuning either HT. I have found the manual very easy to read and extremely easy to understand how it tells you to program your HT. Of course both HT's do program exactly the same which is a nice feature for both of them. Yes you have to buy them now used. If you do find them new then get them you won't go wrong..I have had both of mine now for two years and have had nothing go wrong with either HT. If you need a good HT either VHF or UHF and you can find one or both then buy them both.

73's N0mud

KI6BKL Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2006 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Outlasts the naysayers!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my ADI-201 for $99 bucks at Fry's. I have dropped it, shook it, etc. It has seen it's share of harsh service, as a multi-tasking base, mobile and pedestrian xcvr unit. As far inexpensive monoband radios go, considering you get 12VDC and 5W transmit, a GOOD radio. Accessories are inexpensive (everyone knows that's where they make the money). T'was well worth the investment, despite some naysayers opins.