Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ADI AT-201 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AT-201
ADI AT-201 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Hand held
More info: http://www.adi-radio.com/amateurradio/handhelds/mono/

You can write your own review of the ADI AT-201.

CLOOREN Rating: 2/5 Mar 24, 2005 12:50 Send this review to a friend
need help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received 2pcs AT-201 one transmit 4.5W and the seconed transmit 1W. Can any one help me to fix it to transmit 4.5W
Thanks,
Oren
clooren@hotmail.com

KB5DRJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2005 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Got what I paid for!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Considering that the radio is pretty inexpensive and comes with a 12V battery, I'd say that it is well worth the price.

It does tend to pick up my computer, and does not have the best receiver, but it works ok for a beginner radio.

I dropped mine on concrete from about 5 feet and all that happened was that I scuffed the bottom corner of the battery. Even though the radio feels like hard plastic, it seems to be sturdy enough.

73's

KB5DRJ

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2005 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Reliable easy to program HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a few HT's and this has to be the easiest one I have to program. It also has great battery life with the new OEM battery. If used as a mobile it's great having 5 watts, and seeing that it can be found for under $90.00 makes it a great buy.
I feel it's a solid well-built HT makes that I feel comfortable using while camping or using for other outdoor activities

I have added a decent speaker mic, and a Diamond 5/8ths wave-telescoping antenna that really improves the TX/RX. The onboard speaker is a little weak, but I believe most people use a speaker mic anyway, so I donít see that as a negative.

I would recommend this HT to anyone for the money it can't be beat. For under a $100.00 I havenít seen another HT that competes with the ADI-AT-201-HP.

W1HEN Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2004 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Good cheap HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Picked up a pair of these for $60 each (new, old stock) and have been very pleased. For the price I paid, its an excellent little rig. I use all power levels and different battery packs and both rigs work equally well. I use them both all the time. The receive is above average and I get very good audio reports.
The only negative comment I have, is, the manual. It's a real adventure.
I couldn't be happier with these "cheap" little radios.

Rick
W1HEN

KG4MUW Rating: 3/5 May 5, 2004 21:03 Send this review to a friend
poor receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
All features work as advertised. Power output is up to 6W for a few transmissions on battery. Even on a new battery, the 6w fades quickly.

But the receiver sensitivity is quite poor. When compared to another HT, or mobile, it seems to be about 1/2 as sensitive using the same antenna, and based upon S meter and the ear.

Find yourself an Icom, or a Standard. The receiver on my Standard beats my Icom and the AT201 hands down.

VA3PKR Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2003 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Entry Level HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not a bad entry level HT. Easy to operate.
Ron, KB1KHQ email me for a copy of the manual

73 David va3pkr@sympatico.ca

KB1KHQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2003 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just purchased an AT-201 hand held at a yard sale at a price I could not refuse.
The problem is that all the parts are in the box except the instructions. Does some one have a copy that I can have or access on the web to one. I did manage to get the repeater in St. Albans VT programed so I can talk to my club for now. But there are so many features that you need to be a rocket science to figure out. For the time being I have gotten back that there is a very good quality signal and I have been able to get the repeater from 40 miles away through our mountains.
Ron D
KB1KHQ

K9WVM Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2003 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Great price thats about all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of the AT-201 hand helds, the first on had so much intermod that I sent it back to Calif. for repair. I waited almost a month and heard nothing from them. I called and was told that the righ was sent out after being fixed. No rig after two weeks. Called again and spoke to supervisor and complained about their warranty service. They sent me a new (?) HT, some of the intermod problems are gone. BUT my biggest problem and maybe some can help me HOW do you lock out a channel. The book tells you how to delete entire freq. but nothing about locking out a channel. BIG LET DOWN. I would not buy another one. Manual is terribly written.

KI4BGF Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2003 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good little rig for those on the go.

Is there anyone out there that can help me increase the watts on this?

Jack

KD5GOV Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2003 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a longtime owner of an ADI AR-146 (and very satisfied), I bought this HT (AT-201HP) to tote around during our many tornado watches and warnings. HRO - $99.95 now

It comes with instructions on unlocking the receiver (which will pick up approx 130-170Mhz), so you can also use it as a scanner to monitor emergency services (police, fire, etc), monitor NOAA weather radio, etc. This is very handy when you are sitting in the basement shelter!!

So far I am very satisfied with the unit.

One suggestion, you MUST get the glove-fitting leather case for it to pad it in case of a fall or bump. HRO has the cases for $5.95 right now (and worth every cent). Leather, velcro fastener, clear window over display/buttons, you can do everyting without removing it from the case (including charging the NiMH pack). really cool!!

73s