Reviews Categories | Microphones | Nady StarPower SP-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Nady StarPower SP-5
Nady StarPower SP-5 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: Professional Vocal Dynamic Microphone
More info: http://www.nadywireless.com/products/product_pgs/starp_pg4.html

You can write your own review of the Nady StarPower SP-5.

W2NJU Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2014 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Good mic for the low price.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the same mic as the Apex 880 which I have reviewed under its own title. A Chinese manufacturer produces these mics under several names. They lack an isolation ring around the mic capsule, so they are noisy to handle and will pick up every bump and thump. They are solidly made and the mic capsule is one piece molded so it's pole and magnet are always aligned for optimum performance. That said, they also sound fabulous with a little high end boost. The first night I used mine on the air two stations asked me how I managed to get that "broadcast audio" sound. The only other mic I have that performs similarly is the Heil HM-12 which has pretty decent isolation.

KC0GSB Rating: 2/5 Dec 19, 2007 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Not Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing special about this microphone. It actually doesn't sound horrible, but doesn't sound good either. Of course, it is a very inexpensive dynamic mic. I really wouldn't bother with this one. Other inexpensive dynamics,such as the the EV CO5, or the Shure PG-58, are better.

N4DFP Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2004 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I bought my Kenwood TS-450S on eBay, I was disappointed when it arrive sans a microphone (it was pictured with a hand mike attached). Oh well, I had a couple of mikes I could try. To make the long story short, neither one was really satisfactory. So, I went back to eBay to find a mike. I really wanted a desk mike but didn't like the prices I was seeing for Kenwood mikes ($60.00and up!). I broadend my search to all mikes rather than just communications mikes. When the Nady SP-5 turned up with a favorable comparison to a Shure SM-58 I said "Yeah, right." But with a "Buy it Now" price of $20.00 (incl shipping) I figured it would be hard to go wrong. The mike arrived and I checked the specs. Not quite equivalent to an SM-58, but still respectable. I hooked it up and the reports started rolling in. One gent thought I had bought an EQ, another didn't even recognize my voice with the full range, bottom warmth, and slightly emphasized mids. The tight cardioid pattern has all but eliminated background noise. This mike can be found commercially fron $9.95 to $29.95 and up to the MSRP of $59.95. Would I pay $59.95 for it? I might! I would definitely pay the $29.95 for it.