Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Gap Hear It Speaker Help

Gap Hear It Speaker Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: Noise canceling speaker
Dimensions w/ bracket - w 5.25 h 3 d 2.25
More info: http://Dimensions w/ bracket - w 5.25 h 3 d 2.25

You can write your own review of the Gap Hear It Speaker.

KA9HJZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2014 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Great sound considering the size of the speaker.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Gap module and the Hear it Speaker, I like the speaker better. No it doesn't get rid of all the noise but considering the size of the speaker it does a very good job. It will give the waterfall effect if the settings are to high but lets face it is a speaker and no DSP unit can get rid of all of the noise, if it did you would not hear anything. I have found it to work better than any of the DSP units in my radios, A ham radio Salesman told me there is no such thing as perfect but there is better and I think the Gap Hear IT Speaker is better

W7MCP Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I added the 10W version called the Dspkr to my shack a few months ago. At first I was very disappointed. During transmit I could hear my voice in the speaker. Obviously RF in the shack. I tried the various methods that BHI suggest for this problem in their manual but nothing helped. I emailed BHI with my problem and received an email within 24 hrs. Very nice and very helpful. Their technical support is outstanding. Final solution was to get another power supply separate from the one that runs my radio and other equipment. That did the trick. And on re-reading the manual its right there in black n white to use a separate power supply if possible. My bad. This thing does what they say. It just plain works.

WB1CQW Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 11:36 Send this review to a friend
VERY HELPFUL NOISE REDUCER  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Gap Hear It speaker is very helpful in reducing hash and noise. It makes working stations in less than perfect conditions much less stressful on the ears. I have an older radio (TS-50) without elaborate receive filtering features, so this device I find close to indispensable, especially in these low sunspot, marginal conditions.

KG4RUL Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2012 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Works Mobile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one of these to use with an Alinco DX-SR8T, HF transceiver that I am using in my mobile. While it does not have the capabilities of my IF, DSP equipped base HF rig, it goes a long way towards making mobile operations a pleasant experience. My ONLY negative with this device is the noise reduction, level selection switch. What a low-rent way to implement this functionality. But for that, it would get a 5.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2012 23:55 Send this review to a friend
VERY NICE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the speaker with my Icom 706 MK2. When both units have their DSP on the sound is nice and clean. It expands the sound from a small radio speaker and makes it better.

W8NVC Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2012 22:19 Send this review to a friend
OWNED OVER A YEAR AAAA++  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well guys, been over a year since ive owned the Hear it Speaker, Still hands down, i cant listen without it.. On SSB, it removes so much noise that
it makes it a pleasure to listen to. Now for the
Guys that said they hear popping and noise weird sounds, Remember, the Gap Hear it is amplified, and you need to adjust it just right. it has a volume control, so if you have too much audio going in, and the volume on the speaker is too high, you will get over modulated audio, so you must adjust it so the volume of the radio is the same when the speaker is on or off, Once you set it, forget it, and most important remember this, when you hook it up, you can hear the big difference, and when you shut it off. But when you turn it back on, the dsp takes about 6 seconds to kick in, once it kicks in you'll get your great sound,
So set it and forget it. and remember when turning it back on that it takes approx 6 seconds for the dsp to kick in, if you listen real good you will hear it settle in. Then shut it off, and youll Hate what you hear. This speaker must be set right, Its not plug and play, you gotta fiddle with it for a bit until you get the sound your looking for.
AND REMEMBER ONCE YOU GET IT RIGHT, YOUR DONE, SET IT AND FORGET IT...I give this product five stars. If mine took a dump today I would be on the phone Ordering another one, Its worth every Dime. Its the most important part of my station. Thank You Gap for this great DSP speaker that Works wonders on Band Noise. And i use my Yaesu sp 6 speaker, it plugs right into the gap, so you can use it both ways. Go Buy one, Thank me later. W8NVC in OHIO

WB5EFD Rating: 2/5 Apr 23, 2012 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Didn't work very long  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received one as a Christmas present for 2011. I hooked it up and it seemed to work ok except the adjustment knob would never click into place. I only used it about 2 weeks before severe medical problems kept me from my radio until mid March 2012. When I turned on the equipment my radio sounded like a sonar instead of having good audio and the adjustment knob when turned would go from the sonar mode to no dsp at all but nothing in between. I have sent it back to GAP to check it out at their request but have not heard anything from them, not even if they received it. They did initially respond right away to my initial email telling me to send it back though.

K5KNM Rating: 1/5 Mar 25, 2012 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Didn't like!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased this speaker and it appears to be the newer updated model.
This version has both a on/off power and filter switch along with a variable DSP adjustment.

This is an improvement over the previous model but the power switch location is on the bottom of the speaker which is kind of awkward and not very ergonomic to say the least. Also the speakers volume control is very small and needs a small flat blade screwdriver to adjust, not at all convenient either.

The DSP control pot is on the rear so you can't see it while adjusting so you have to use your ears. Being this is small in size, space for these controls maybe limited but I think the power switch could have been mounted on the top cover or sides for better access.

Now for the sound quality, I found it very weak in volume and when I tried to turn up the speakers volume, it would distort. This was true regardless of turning up the radios AF control or the Gap's speakers volume control or trying to balance between them both.
Since this is only a 5 watt amp in the speaker, it seems to be easily over-driven. If you like to listen at low volume levels, then this speaker maybe OK for some people but I bought it mainly for a mobile setup and it is truly inadequate.

I found better performance by plugging in my Kenwood SP-50B external speaker into the Gap's extension speaker/phone jack. Although the volume increase wasn't increased, only the sound quality overall was better making it better to listen on.

As for the DSP, it did seem to work as advertised, however I would of liked more range between full on processing to midway.

I'm sending this back after trying the Clear Speech by West Mountain. Their speaker has PLENTY of loud clear volume and the DSP works just as good or even better than the Gap speaker. Even better is the fact the speaker controls are mounted on the front.

I would not recommend the Gap Hear It Speaker to anyone.

W8NVC Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2011 22:58 Send this review to a friend
GO GET ONE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a friend of mine that i speak with on 80 meters get one of these speakers, The Gap Hear it. HE raved and raved about it. i have trouble hearing stations on 40 meters due to alot of static noise but just with real distant stations, i thought it would be great if it really worked as it says. So i took it to the next level, i went to you tube, and i typed in Gap Hear it speaker. Theres a video a guy made with it and shows how good it works, I watched the Video and i was amazed.. That nite, I called my buddy Dave who frequents Ham fests and was going to one the next morning,, I said to him, if you see one of these things at a good price pick it up for me. so Guess what? He found one Brand new on a guys Table "In The BOX". He paid 60.00 Bucks, WHat a deal. He called me and said i found you one brand new do you want it for 60.00? i said yes, yes please. He brought it over. We plugged it in to the radio, and both of us where shocked, i mean shocked, This tiny small itty bitty speaker removed 90% Of band noise.and static Im still reeling and very excited about it. Heres my way of describing what it does.
its like this, without it, the distant stations are there and the close ones are there, the close ones you can understand Right? But the weeker stations you can hear like 20% of what there saying, You switch this bad Boy on, and bam, No More Noise, You can actually Hear and make out the weekest stations. and when the big boys talk that yoou would normaly have no trouble hearing, They now sound like FM. I sh#t you not. and the clarity, The bass sound and treble of this tiny speaker is just, well theres no words for it, Once you buy one and use it, Youll never go back. Now For you guys that Love that big Yaesu Sp6 that you paid big money for, The great thing is you can use it with the Gap hear it speaker because it has an external Jack on it, so you can just plug your speaker into the Gap and use the DSP modual Inside, and keep using your big Yaesu speaker or Icom Speaker. But to tell you the truth, Its sounds great just the way it is, im gonna keep my sp6 for now, and use it both ways, but ill probably sell the sp6 because this Gap speaker is so small and sounds just as good if not better, ill have more shelf room, Plus my Yaesu sp6 Cant Nock Out 90% of Noise like this Gap Hear it speaker, the Dsp is also adjustable to shape it for your hearing and Radio Needs.....
If you have not tried or heard this Little Gem. do yourself a favor go to you tube and type in Gap Hear it speaker. Youll be amazed, but its even better in person. This has become one of the most important parts of my shack, no more straining my ears to hear the stations , and no more horrible static fuzz, its just a pleasure to listen too.
Now, This is my 2 cents, Go and do your own research, and youll say the same. I could go On and on, But its worth every penny it costs.
Thank you Gap for this real Gem that really works great, Really.... & 73. AAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NI4Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2011 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this speaker and find it quite effective. This is the newer model with the rotary selector switch rather than the DIP switches. I find this speaker to remove a large percentage of the background noise and make listening to both SSB and CW a great deal easier.