Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Gap Hear It Speaker Help

Gap Hear It Speaker Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: Noise canceling speaker
Dimensions w/ bracket - w 5.25 h 3 d 2.25
More info: http://Dimensions w/ bracket - w 5.25 h 3 d 2.25

You can write your own review of the Gap Hear It Speaker.

W8NVC Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2011 22:58 Send this review to a friend
GO GET ONE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a friend of mine that i speak with on 80 meters get one of these speakers, The Gap Hear it. HE raved and raved about it. i have trouble hearing stations on 40 meters due to alot of static noise but just with real distant stations, i thought it would be great if it really worked as it says. So i took it to the next level, i went to you tube, and i typed in Gap Hear it speaker. Theres a video a guy made with it and shows how good it works, I watched the Video and i was amazed.. That nite, I called my buddy Dave who frequents Ham fests and was going to one the next morning,, I said to him, if you see one of these things at a good price pick it up for me. so Guess what? He found one Brand new on a guys Table "In The BOX". He paid 60.00 Bucks, WHat a deal. He called me and said i found you one brand new do you want it for 60.00? i said yes, yes please. He brought it over. We plugged it in to the radio, and both of us where shocked, i mean shocked, This tiny small itty bitty speaker removed 90% Of band noise.and static Im still reeling and very excited about it. Heres my way of describing what it does.
its like this, without it, the distant stations are there and the close ones are there, the close ones you can understand Right? But the weeker stations you can hear like 20% of what there saying, You switch this bad Boy on, and bam, No More Noise, You can actually Hear and make out the weekest stations. and when the big boys talk that yoou would normaly have no trouble hearing, They now sound like FM. I sh#t you not. and the clarity, The bass sound and treble of this tiny speaker is just, well theres no words for it, Once you buy one and use it, Youll never go back. Now For you guys that Love that big Yaesu Sp6 that you paid big money for, The great thing is you can use it with the Gap hear it speaker because it has an external Jack on it, so you can just plug your speaker into the Gap and use the DSP modual Inside, and keep using your big Yaesu speaker or Icom Speaker. But to tell you the truth, Its sounds great just the way it is, im gonna keep my sp6 for now, and use it both ways, but ill probably sell the sp6 because this Gap speaker is so small and sounds just as good if not better, ill have more shelf room, Plus my Yaesu sp6 Cant Nock Out 90% of Noise like this Gap Hear it speaker, the Dsp is also adjustable to shape it for your hearing and Radio Needs.....
If you have not tried or heard this Little Gem. do yourself a favor go to you tube and type in Gap Hear it speaker. Youll be amazed, but its even better in person. This has become one of the most important parts of my shack, no more straining my ears to hear the stations , and no more horrible static fuzz, its just a pleasure to listen too.
Now, This is my 2 cents, Go and do your own research, and youll say the same. I could go On and on, But its worth every penny it costs.
Thank you Gap for this real Gem that really works great, Really.... & 73. AAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NI4Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2011 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this speaker and find it quite effective. This is the newer model with the rotary selector switch rather than the DIP switches. I find this speaker to remove a large percentage of the background noise and make listening to both SSB and CW a great deal easier.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the second GAP Hear It Speaker, the first I sold thinking I didn't need it after I went QRT with HF mobile. I did ue it for a while with the Kenwood TS-480HX I had at the time. But, sild the TS-480 and wound up selling the Hear it speaker too.

Fast forward, 2-3 years I now have another TS-480, had a 706MKIIG in the truck for about 15 months, used it with no filters, so got me another Hear it speaker. Took the 706 out of the truck, put my new TS-480HX in the truck, the GAP Hear it speaker is the way to go. If you are in a noisy or mobile environment, or if you just want to get rid of the white noisy and want to hear who you're talking to,get yourself a GAP Hear It Speaker. I've known Rich the owner and Chris his assistant for a bunch of years now, I know they only have and sell top shelf antennas and ham related equipment.

I am in no way affiliated with GAP Antennas, I just know that what they sell they stand behind. If you have a problem with ANY of GAP's products, don't hesitate to give them a call, if they don't answer the phone right away, they are probably out in the garage working on their antennas.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2010 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this speaker for a month or two now, and I was initially really wary of it so small, how could it do a good job. The initial setting was set at 6 and I found this too much processing when backed down to 4 or 5 maximum it was a great improvement this thing just eliminates noise including my RF nightmare (the kitchen fluorescent with electronic ballast). I am currently using it with a Lowe HF-225 Europa in a Pelican case with a gel cell and a RadioMaster PA-30 SWL antenna. This is the same as the GAP Hear It Now speaker but I bought mine from the UK $20 cheaper than buying it in the US from Universal including shipping. BTW I am located on the West Coast, get one you will not regret it or believe it

AF4KK Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2010 14:33 Send this review to a friend
An excellent choice!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you're looking for a speaker to improve your reception, this is a great choice! It simply works very well. I wish it didn't use those TEENY-TINY DIP switches to choose the DSP level. The higher levels can be too agressive for legible sound (sounds like under water) but the middle settings are perfect!

N2WUX Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2010 12:47 Send this review to a friend
very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first unit about 2 years ago to use in the shack with my YEASU FT -920.I had already bought the "in-line module " unit to use in the mobile with my noisy ICOM 706 MK-IIG and it works great.However there was some sort of conflict with the Yeasus adjustable gap DNR.The audio wasn't loud enough plus it sounded very
" twangy ".I tried a variety of external speakers to its external speaker jack but the audio was still terrible.As I was about to give up,I shut off the DSP on the Yeasu and " BANG ",the volume jumped up 100% and the audio quality was up 1000% !!!Upon further experimentation'I found that by widening the digital gap on the yeasu,it sounded even better yet.I now use it with a radio shack amplified speaker and am very satisfied.I just bought a 2ND gap speaker to use with my new YEASU FT450 and did not have this " TWANGY " problem , even though it has a pretty sophisticated DST unit of its own,and the same is true with myIN-LINE module in the mobil
with the ICOM 706.(but the ICOMS DSP is lousy)

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2009 12:30 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had TWO of these & they worked GREAT.I used one on an ICOM 706 MII in my mobile & one on an ICOM 746(Non-PRO).I love they way this speaker does away with white or floor noise. Makes listening much nicer & also makes WEAK signals much easier to hear.Almost makes an OPEN SQUELCH FM signal sound like OPEN SQUELCH SSB.It is a NOISE "KILLER"!Also used the IN-LINE MODULE with an ICOM 271A & it works just as well with YOUR CHOICE of speakers!GREAT PRODUCT if you do NOT own a rig with DSP it's a GREAT INVESTMENT!

Clayton
W4KVW

N8OIL Rating: 2/5 Feb 6, 2008 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Needs work!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own both the hear-it speaker and the in-line module.
Both really DO help with noise.
The problem is that both also generate a nasty hum -- with or without input audio.
Don't even THINK of using either product with headphones and turning the audio gain from your radio down -- the hum will drive you nutz! When you turn off your radio at the end of the day you will definately want to be certain to kill the speaker too, or the throbbing from the speaker will continue 'til the cows come home.
I called GAP and asked about this -- certain that I had defective products. I was told that it is a known "situation." The person with whom I spoke was totally unconcerned.
So, while the products DO work, I must say I would probably not recommend either the speaker or in-line module -- I'd probably try to find another product.
I wish I had purchased neither.

K5TER Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2007 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Don't let an equipment failure ZERO scare you off, nor the price -- this little speaker is my most important piece of equipment! I've tried 5 other filters and none of them come close. [My wife won't listen unless I have it turned on.}

I'm buying the in-line module this week.

K5TER Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2007 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had the GAP speaker for about 5 months now and consider it to be the most important item in my hamming-experience. My wife is even amazed at how much noise it removes.

I hate to see someone give this useful piece of gear a ZERO just because it failed -- every manufactured product will have some that fail.

I can't wait to get the in-line version and move the speaker to my mobile installation.

(I've tried W9GR DSPIII and MFJ-784B -- but sold them both -- the GAP is so simple and does what I want; my IC-746PRO does the rest)