Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101xx Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101xx
Yaesu FT-101xx Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $500.00
Description: FT-101EE
More info: http://www.qsl.net/nw2m/ft101.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101xx.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2004 18:09 Send this review to a friend
I miss my 1st HF rig, wish I still had it  Time owned: more than 12 months
had the FT-101E (with 500-HZ filter) as my 1st HF rig, when it came out...I'm sorry to say, I traded it in, for a more modern HF rig in 1990...I fondly remember the great times I had with it back then...even now-today, wish I still had it...SUPER RIG!!!

JA1ML Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2004 17:33 Send this review to a friend
FT-101F Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello,
The FT-101 is a nice rig. I see more about the FT-101 on web page: http://foxtango.org/foxtango005.htm

JA1ML

WB6VET Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2004 01:36 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 101E was my 2nd rig. My first was a Heathkit DX-60 with matching VFO & receiver. I bought mine new for $535 in '78 when I was 17. I still have it today. It's been sitting idle for over 15 years but just today decided to dust it off and see if it still works. To my amazement it still works as great as it did the last time I used it over 15 years ago. I spent many nights and weekends of my youth on 40 meters in the Novice bands working CW. I was really jazzed when I passed my General in late '78. Now I could work 20 meters all night long which I did. I always received good signal reports considering I was using an unmodified 11 meter vertical running barefoot. Glad to see there's still a great following for this old workhorse.

G1YRV Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2004 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Considering the age of the set and design, i was very surprised by my FT-101e's all round performance. Without all the knobs and buttons of todays feature packed set's, it is refreshing to use such a straight forward,well built radio that will probably survive longer than many a radio around today.Yes it weighs a bit, and has Valves,in the final PA, but they are bullet proof,and can take a bit of high VSWR or slow tune up, unlike semicondutor output stages.
I was very lucky to get an "out-of-the-box" condition later version FT-101e last year and so far has never put a foot wrong, with at least 160-180Watts on most bands available.I have since restored a FT-101b back to life, that needed some TLC. There are plenty of these old timers around, so be choosy,as some have been hammered,but they are serviceadble with many sets available for spares or repair.Dont be put off with their idiosyncrasies or age

W4CLM Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2004 02:34 Send this review to a friend
Fox Tango FT-101  Time owned: more than 12 months
FT-101 It's a Great Rig!

Join International Fox Tango @

I am writing to suggest that you join with me an other owners of the Yaesu FT-101 in an informal association which we might call the Fox-Tango Group. It would serve as a sort of benovelent, protective, mutual aid and perhaps social club, essentially for the prupose of interchanging information, ideas, experiences and problems"

These were the words of Milton Lowens (N4ML) when he started the Fox Tango Club in 1972, which was dedicated to the exchange of information about the Yaesu FT-101 amateur radio transceiver. The club published the FT Newsletter from 1972 until 1985. I was a member of the Fox Tango Group from 1977 to 1985. I still remember that I could hardly wait to receive each month's issue of the Fox Tango New letter jam packed with modifications and user suggestions for my beloved FT-101.

In an effort to keep the Fox Tango flame burning and continue the interchange of information to enhace the effectiveness of these old rigs. I invited you to join the Fox Tango Club at Yahoo goups.

Topics of discussion will cover the FT-101, FT-101B, FT-101E, through the FT-101F, FL-2100B including all Yaesu accesories. Yaesu Twins FR-101, FL-101, FT-620B, FT-220, FT-221, FT-101ZD, FL-2100Z, FT-901, FT-901DM, FT-102, FT-757Gx, GXII, FT-767, FT-7, FT-7B and other more recent models as well.

Welcome to the International Fox Tango Club at Yahoo Groups.
C.L. Maher
W4CLM

Join International Fox Tango @

Organized 1971 By & For Owners of Yaesu Equipment (ML N4ML)

G4UNB Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2004 22:18 Send this review to a friend
an old friend!  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had my ft101e for EIGHTEEN years! so i guess that says something, bearing in mind we're talking about 30+ years old technology, i found my 101e was a great stalwart and a good friend during many years mainly CW but also lots of SSB hf qso's,..what can i say?..i worked the world with mine! Always extremely good audio reports on SSB, and with new 6js6c's i had over 150 watts output too! An easy radio to work on, all parts easily accessable, in the later years mine did suffer a few sticking relay problems, as a mainly CW operator i found the 300hz CW filter a real boon! In more recent times i owned a Kenwood ts 940s, and now my pride and joy is a ts950sd, But always fond memories of my 'old friend' the 101e.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2004 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Memories!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first HF radio was the Yaesu FT101B, which I owned from 1981 to 1985. Wow, did I have fun with this radio. Yes it has tubes, but you quickly get used to tuning, to the point where you can do it in a flash. The receiver on this radio was very good for the price and age. Rarely saw overloading occurring, and never even needed the CW filter for it. The extra features were fairly limited on this line, especially the plain 101 and the B, but for basic radio performance, this did it.

One think lacking is a second VFO. There is an external VFO available, which is highly recommended, as so much DXing is done with splits today. The RIT range on this radio is several KHZ, so it will handle the small splits. It is only RIT, no XIT with it.

I would love to get one of these again just to play with, as most of us loved our first rig. I still would perform good by today's standards, and when I get a little extra money, and a little extra room in the shack, it will be sitting next to the set of Kenwood Twins that I will also again own.

The B model, like the E and F models, did not cover the WARC bands, but there are kits available to get it on those bands. It already receives on 10mhz for WWV. There are also mods to replace the sweep tubes with 6146Bs. If you find one of these radios at a good price, go for it. You will have some great memories also.

YY5ARR Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2003 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Is just a classic radio!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a "new one", jeje: FT 101F very nice looking!, excelent conditions. During Transmision it really sound very strong, specially on CW. This is a kind of radio to keep, not to sell just to buy a fancy radio, full of useless functions!! no way! My first radio was (actually, still with me) 101ZD, it is also a tank!. I decide to collect the whole line for the 101F. 101!!! KEEP GOING!

2E0DNP Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2003 14:46 Send this review to a friend
FT-101E  Time owned: months
Im new to ham radio and to the FT-101E but i Do love the radio.....i use the kenwood ts 870..but do like to take the 101 out for a Strole around the bands

KG4WTL Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2003 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Tanks!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These things are tanks, use them, abuse them, they keep working, and if they don't they're easy to work on!

I have 2 B's and an EE - all bought non working and fixed with a few diodes, a good cleaning and allot of TLC.

Great radio for the money (around $200.00)

Better output than most rigs of it's time - around 130 watts or more.

Finals are getting more expensive but are worth the extra punch over the 6146.

I reccomend this ole anchor 100%