Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | PV-7 Portable Multiband HF Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for PV-7 Portable Multiband HF Vertical Antenna
PV-7 Portable Multiband HF Vertical Antenna Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $64.95
Description: Incredibly small and efficient portable multi-band HF vertical antenna featuring telescoping whip, tuning coil, counterpoise, 12-feet high (assembled) and collapses to just 12-inches to fit inside carrycase or backpack. Covers 40-meters through 10-meters (continously). Perfect for portable, qrp, camping, backpacking, temporary and emergency operations.
More info: http://antennas.thebrownhouse.org

You can write your own review of the PV-7 Portable Multiband HF Vertical Antenna.

AF8X Rating: 2/5 Apr 12, 2005 14:54 Send this review to a friend
so-so  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the PV-7 antenna today. I was disappointed at the materials used for it. The telescoping whip is rather delicate, maybe because of the length needed. The support rods are 5/16 all-thread steel. I put the antenna together and set it up as per the instructions. It tuned as advertised. Then I threw the 5/16 threaded rods in my junk box and replaced them with 3/8 rod stock threaded on both ends. I drilled half way into the couplers and tapped them to 3/8 thread. I left the other end which screwed onto the coil at 5/16. I feel better now and the antenna is not so wobbley.

WA2ZOU Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2005 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for an antenna to take in the RV for when the XYL and I go to dog shows. Criteria for an antenna included multi band, easy to set-up and pack, small footprint, and breaks down into a small case. A bonus would be the ability to mount the antenna quickly to the RV. After a bit of searching, I came upon the PV-7.

Although designed as a QRP antenna, Gary assured me the "guts" could be beefed up to handle 100 watts, my expected output from the IC-706. I received the antenna quickly after placing the order, opting for the carrying case as well. After a bit of head scratching, I fashioned a mount from a bracket, a 7" screw, some nuts and washers, and a MONSTER 8" C-clamp from the local home supply store, with the intention of clamping the antenna to the trailer tounge.

This past weekend was my first run using the antenna from Hobbs (Lea County) NM, where we were parked for a show. A few minutes of assembly and coil/whip adjustments and it was time to burn some RF. I used an MFJ-945E tuner to keep the in and out trips to a minimum, and tuned the setup for a trial. It was fortunate there were contests going on, a perfect time to give a test.

20 meters had the most activity, so I started answering calls. In a little over 2 hours I had worked stations in New England, the Pacific Northwest and California, up and down the East Coast, and a 58 from Honduras. I got many compliments on my 90 watt signal into a vertical.

Set-up and storage of this antenna takes just a few short minutes, small storage footprint, and no complaints from the XYL about an ugly antenna. This IS the antenna I was looking for!