Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-80B Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-80B
Ameritron AL-80B Reviews: 131 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1300
Description: Kilowatt output HF desktop linear
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-80b

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-80B.

N0AAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased my AL-80B in December of 2017 and it is a great little amplifier. It doesn't take up too much desk space and puts out a solid 700 watts on CW and peaks a KW on SSB.

No difficulties with it so far. Easy to tune-up and the ALC circuit works nicely with my FTDX-1200.

You have to turn the ALC control on the back of the amp fully clockwise then adjust the ALC SET control on the front of the amp to about 4. This results in all tube parameters being within specifications as per the manual.

I purchased a cable on eBay that works perfectly with it from a company called generalvideo and are made by a ham, W7YEN - 10-PIN MINI-DIN CABLE WITH KEYING AND ALC FOR YAESU FT-950 FT-450 FT-DX1200.

This amp is a steal for the money.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Strong and forgiving  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine in Nov 2017 used for a great price. It's been awhile since I had a tune / tube type amp and I did make a few little goofs in the beginning resulting in one pretty strong internal arc in the amp. It seems it didn't do any damage and it still works. 700-800W SSB out on a mediocre 120v line with other stuff on it but I have been able to work anyone I hear. I will inspect for arc damage when I do my 6 mo cleaning. I'm keeping it.

N4KC Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2017 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Effectively amplifies  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
An upgrade from my trusty AL-811, which has served me well. The quandary was whether to go solid state or not. The price and the reviewed performance of the AL-80B convinced me to remain "hollow state," and so far, no regrets. The amp does all I would expect and more, gives full rated power out on all bands with 65 watts drive or less, tunes easily and consistently, and appears to be clean on the air (according to many who have taken a look on their fancy-schmantzy band scopes!). Note that I am running it on 110 volts...a dedicated circuit...and it seems to do just fine.

I inspected it carefully when I installed the final tube and did the 10-meter mod. All solder connections were beautifully done and there was no loose hardware that I could find.

Only minor quibbles:
--The fan is a tad noisy but I am already used to it and hardly notice it anymore. It does its job well.
--The input SWR on 30 meters is a bit high. I have not tweaked it since I doubt I'll use the amp much on that band and don't want to mess up the 20-meter input...where I WILL use it.

I use the amp on a regular AM schedule every week. I drive it with 15 watts on AM and get over 200 watts out. I consistently get unsolicited reports of good audio and signal purity with the 80B and a Kenwood TS-590S. It does get warm with long (typical AM) transmissions but never hot.

The 80B does exactly what I want it to do, does it well, and--so far--does it reliably. That's a "5" in my book.

VK5AGC Rating: 1/5 Jun 27, 2016 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Disapointment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Seems lots of people like this amp, having had it for or a short time,it has let me down badly. It is with Ameritron now,and I sincerely hope they are going to sort it all out for me.The first one I bought wasn't good at all, the second one not much better!...I am hoping the blokes at Ameritron are going to fix it once and for all.

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got mine wired for 240 Volts and read 239.5 Volts off the outlet. I get 1100 Watts on 40 Meters LSB and set it back to run 800-850 Watts. It came with a Machlett Tube, my old AL-80B came with a Taylor and I was hard pressed to get 800 Watts out of it. I am very satisfied with this one.

AD5HD Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 12:44 Send this review to a friend
A steal at twice the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
No problems with build quality or operation, has been bulletproof. Using a Hardrock-50 as an exciter so it doesn't go much past 600W CW and thus doesn't need global ALC back to the Elecraft K2. Trapezoidal waveform indicates excellent linearity. Tolerates inept tuning and loading even on the wrong band, ask me how I know. Added a Bird Termaline 8860 off the antenna-2 port of the downstream LDG AT1000ProII to allow indefinite tuning/loading time. Also recently added an Ameritron ICP-120 and have one of their QSK boards sitting around waiting to be installed. Absolutely no complaints about this amp. A kilowatt amp that plugs into a 110V outlet? How cool is that?

KI6JL Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2015 17:56 Send this review to a friend
BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK  Time owned: more than 12 months
A superb SSB amp for the price. Combined with an inexpensive FT-950 radio with a K4KIO hex beam at 30 ft makes a serious package that will compete irritatingly with the 10 Kilo-buck+ stations. heh heh.
I'm a klutz. MY friends know it. I'm sure Murphy is lurking in the dark spaces. One thing is true though; there are no spiders building nests in my AL-80B because it is always on. It has taken my abuse for two years now and refuses to quit, to my delight. For 1300 bucks, you can't go wrong. Any ID-10-T can have a reliable kilowatt megaphone.:) As for my next purchase? I'm going to give the ALS-1306 a spin. My critical ham friends have raked theirs over the coals and have only rave reviews. Let me be clear. I'm talking about the long filibusterer type transmissions where everyone is excited and the talk is fast. You know what I mean. Apparently they, Ameritron, resolved the power supply and combiner problems and now have a solid state amp that can stand up to the daily abuse amplifiers suffer with here and not reach Chernobyl temperatures in doing it. I'm looking forward to the kilowatt 6 meter punch that will help on meteor scatter and aurora happenings. 73 de Hank

KJ7FX Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent first Amp.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owned for a couple of months now. I could not believe how easy it is to setup and tune. Not nearly as difficult to tune as I imagined. I get excellent signal reports and the operation is very well integrated with my FT DX-3000. I use the ALC interface and it couldn't be any easier.

WD1W Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 16:43 Send this review to a friend
It's a Keeper!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently have six amplifiers ... two of which are AL-80Bs. If I had to sell, these would be the ones I'd keep. Buy one, you won't regret it. Why? Easy to tune, repeatable settings, 1000W, 120V (no special wiring), movable (50 LBS), clean signal, great audio reports, tough and inexpensive tube, quiet. What more would you want?

K4ROX Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2015 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great amp, really delivers. Easy to tune No problems on any band. Traded an ALS-600 for it and never looked back. No need for 220 unless you have a stressed outlet or want to lower your bill. Break some Pileups.