Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-80B Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-80B
Ameritron AL-80B Reviews: 131 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1300
Description: Kilowatt output HF desktop linear

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-80B.

KB9MJN Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2004 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Great but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this amp new, got it home set it up. Was working great on 10,17,40 BUT not on 20 could not tune at all. Called Ameritron then were very helpful, after trying to tune on all bans. The person told me to open the amp and look for a broken tap on the tank coil. Well I did and I found it and fix it. I will give the amp a 5 works great, but a 2 to Ameritron for not testing this amp.
W4IRA Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2004 23:27 Send this review to a friend
#4# $4$ Awsome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My second one. This is a great little amp.
I have made three little mods to the six month old amp, 10 meters, QSK and 240V what a little sweetheart.
I also have a Ten Tec Centurion.
These two amps will be in my shack for a long long time...
W9OY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2004 13:10 Send this review to a friend
I love this AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp does what it says and then some. I use mine with an external QSK-5 pin diode box, and it just plays. It is very quiet and the tuning is reproducable. What I like best is that I can see something I want come up on the cluster, tune in the station, hit the amp power switch, give it a couple of dits to peak it and almost immediately I can start calling. With my 8877 amp I have to wait and wait and wait as the cathode gets conditioned. All the while the pile up is growing. I can get a good bit more snot out of the 8877, but usually not enough to make a difference.

I get about 1kw or a little better with 85 watts drive. When used with my FT-1000D the ALC feedback works well and throttles back the transmitter to keep from overdriving the amp, just set it and forget it. When used with my Pegasus the dead silent and butter smooth QSK and lack of blower noise is just what the doctor ordered. I love this lil' sucker!!
K5JPE Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2004 02:45 Send this review to a friend
Great little quiet Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have owned about 6+ months put on 240 volts cause of low line voltage hear at my location . To many things on same line on 120. Get 1000 peak watts on 160 meters . with about 90 watts drive. little more out on 75 and 40 meters.. So far Real Happy . Real quiet also.
NI0C Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2004 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Affordable power gain  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first AL-80B went to my son for Christmas, so I decided to purchase a replacement amplifier. I looked at catalogs, prices, and reviews and decided the AL-80B was still the right amplifier for my budget. You get 9 dB gain (over a 100 watt rig) for about half the price you would pay for 12 dB gain. Reliability and tube availability are good.

Now my second AL-80B is already on the air. It left Ameritron on Jan. 8 for delivery to HRO in NH. I received it from HRO yesterday and worked a couple of new band-countries with it last night.

WM5L Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2004 18:46 Send this review to a friend
TOP NOTCH  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used from a friend and have never looked back. 1000+ watts through a bird 43 on 75/40m with 65w in. This is the best bang for the buck out there...Jim/WM5L
S57LWE Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2004 07:13 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP. +++++  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I buy the AL-80B from my good friend for nice price. The AMP. have 5 years and works extremely well. With 70 watts drive, I can drive it over 850 watts and 80m (on Inverted antenna)...but is bether to drive the AMP. whit 50W and have 500W-600W (if you work like this you 100% not have problem whit 3-500ZG tube in your-80B)
Easy to tune and a pleasure to use.

Eric S57LWE
N0RQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2003 16:32 Send this review to a friend
good amp for modest price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought mine barely used. First amp for me!

Out of box, works well, instructions could have been easier to follow. No problems so far, except that it will NOT work on 17 meters. Others have reported similar problem, I believe. I have not bothered to tweak it, as I don't want to mess up the 15m operation.

Mine was originally on 110v house current, but the poor 15amp circuit was being pushed too hard (and it had a long run of 14ga. Romex), so voltage drop was a bit of a problem. Plate voltage was low, though the thing did work. I installed a nice 240v outlet in the shack (thankfully had a subpanel in the shack already!), redid the amp for 240v (pretty easy), and wow, the lights don't dim, I'm getting better output -- in other words, it likes the 240v.

It works good all the way from 10m to 160m (except 17m), but due to 17m and instructions that could be improved, it is getting a "4" rating. Note, though, that I am very happy with it, and would certainly buy it again.
KB4QLZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2003 06:07 Send this review to a friend
A+  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Picked up one used from a local ham. Easy to operate. Output around 850 Watts on 10 meters, and around 1KW on 80 Meters. Runs quite. 10 Meter mod is very easy.
K4NR Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2002 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Solid Desktop Amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned a couple of other amplifiers over the years including an AL-811H and a Tentec Centurion. The AL-80B is a nice, solid amplifier.

The 3-500ZG is forgiving, plentiful, and relatively inexpensive. I have the QSK-5PC internal QSK board and it works perfectly with my IC-746. The best part (or worst depending on who you talk to) of the QSK board is there are no relays. It uses pin diodes and is totally silent. I only wish the IC-746 didn't have that damn noisy relay inside! The QSK is as good as my Tentec Omni 6 and Centurion although the tentec is a much better CW rig..that's another review.

Despite other posts, I see 1KW out on the lower bands and can get 850 out on 10 and 12 meters. I'm running it on 110 volts and the plate voltage drops to 2600 under load. I'm going to run 220 to the shack. I think the high voltage will be a bit stiffer on 220 and I may see a little more out.

My AL-80B had the 110 volt step start circuit. I replaced it with the 12 volt relay that's in the newer AL-80Bs. It was a simple modification and the 110 volts circuit made a bunch of noise when you switched on the amp.

While I'm still a fan of the AL-811H, I think the AL-80B is a far better buy considering the step-start and the fact that there is a single tube.

73 de Tom, K4NR