Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-80B Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-80B
Ameritron AL-80B Reviews: 120 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1300
Description: Kilowatt output HF desktop linear
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-80b

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-80B.

KY7F Rating: 1/5 Jan 20, 2010 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second, and last, Ameritron amp. My first was an AL811 that ran 5 years with no problems until it started blowing its guts out. Sent in for repairs to Ameritron. Lasted 2 days and it blew again. Gave it away. Decided to upgrade to an AL80B. For the first 2 months, it worked great. Then, I heard a "poof" and the "ALC Set" knob control no longer functions during the tune-up process, and the grid/plate current meters no longer work. I'm a stickler for following the tune-up procedures, too. So far, no response from Ameritron on the warranty. Am getting rid of it and buying an Alpha.

AC8DE Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2009 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned an AL-80B about a month now. It is the first amp I have owned, although I have used a few others. Like many, I purchased it based up reviews here and the recommendations of local hams. With the reputation of having a forgiving tube, a soft start, a full KW, solid construction and a price that is hard to beat at this power level, this became the winner and now resides here in the shack.

CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN VS VALUE- I went over the amp internally with a fine tooth comb, as I opened it up when I got it home to switch it over to 240 VAC operation. This is easy enough to do as the jumpers are right there on top when you remove the case. It does require some experience with soldering/desoldering to get this job done cleanly. I found nothing out of place or anything loose inside. Unlike a number of other Ameritron amps I have seen inside, like the ever popular AL-811H, the design and build quality seems much higher than the other Ameritron designs I have inspected. Being a picky engineer, I had hesitated to buy an Ameritron amp, but the quality of this amp was high enough to get past my inspection. Is this at the same level of design refinement as an Alpha or Palstar Commander? Does it look like one of those high spec amps inside? Well no, of course not, but it is solid and well made and looks good internally was well as out. When you consider the street price of the AL-80B, this is a much higher value that any of the high dollar amps, so that is hardly a proper comparison.

DYNAMIC BIAS - One of the complaints of the AL-80B design is the dynamic bias circuit. This circuit supposedly keeps the idle current down reducing heat during times of non-transmission. Apparently, the early versions of this amp had a slow reacting circuit dynamic bias circuit which caused distortion on the audio in the first split second of TX. It was suggested by many that I disable this circuit. I called Ameritron and they gave me instructions on how to do so. However, Ameritron did tell me that they had made changes to this circuit and this was faster than in the original AL-80B design and should not be a problem now. In operation on AM & ESSB where guys will tell you in a heartbeat about an audio problem, I have had no complaints of distorted audio nor can I see anything on the scope. I have asked several stations to listen closely for this, and no one hears any problem. So apparently, there is no need to disable this circuit any longer, at least on this ham's amp.

INPUT TUNING - The input tuning on several bands on my amp needed a bit of tweaking. So if you buy one, make sure you go over this carefully. This is a simple enough process, but this process is omitted from the manual sadly. I had a pretty good idea how to do it as it is pretty straight forward, but I called Ameritron to confirm. They were very helpful and gave me a lot of detail on how they do it in-house. Oddly enough, they could not tell me what the size of the "tweaking tool" was over the phone, but that is was an allen key. So after some playing around, I did determine the magic size to be a 2.5mm. Unfortunately, in the trying to figure out the right size, I cracked the core on 10M/12M (AUX) input. Upon calling Ameritron on this, they sent me out 2 more right away for free, as well as one of their plastic 2.5mm adjustment tools. That's pretty good support.

15/17 METER INPUT TUNING WEAKNESS - Whether this weakness is acceptable or not, depends upon the view of the individual. While I don't use 17M as much as some others, it is notable that the biggest weakness on the input tuning is on the 15/17 input. It is not possible to keep the input tune below 2:1 on both 15M & 17M simultaneously. I leaned a bit more strongly toward 15M side, as this is the better element on my antenna. I was able to achieve an input match 2.2:1 SWR at the top of 15M with 1.2 at the bottom. That put 17M at 3.3:1 at the top and 3.4:1 at the bottom, which I can use with care. If I pull 15M all below 1.5:1, then 17M becomes unusable high. So if I had to say this amp has one weakness, I would say that it is the input tuning on the 15/17 band. I don't know if a mod could be worked out to make for a better match on the input side on both bands.

Some would suggest using the tuner in the rig to match the input of the amp. Seems reasonable enough. HOWEVER, I was advised strongly against this by Ameritron, as they claim this will eventually damage the input side of the amp.

ALC- I don't use this and have no need due to other control methods on the rig and before the rig, so I cannot comment on it.

METERS - The dual backlit cross needle meters are quite nice. Ameritron now uses LED's and not incandescent pea bulbs, so the meters are bright and quite white.

TUNING KNOBS - The are geared down nicely and feel smooth and tight. They stay where you leave them.

SOFT START - The soft start does stop enough inrush to keep the amp from thumping or the lights from dimming. I looked at the circuit and one cannot change the timing without serious modification of the circuit to give it a true RC charging circuit to control the soft start time. I also learned there is no option on the value of the large charging resistor whether you are running on 240 or 120. It does shock the transformer a bit more that I feel it should when the soft start kicks out, which happens within 100mS of the flip of the power switch, which is way too short IMO. HOWEVER, I have to point back up to the value and design trade-off that have to occur to offer this amp at this price. The circuit DOES work well enough to keep the amp from thumping and the lights from dimming, but not enough to bring up the tube a bit more slowly. But I honestly doubt this will ever hurt the tube.

OPERATION - The amp tunes easily and works well. I can pump out about 1.1kW PEP without distortion measured with an oscilloscope into a dummy load if I push it, which I do not do under normal operation. I run it on RTTY on 80M a lot at 500-600 watts PEP with no difficulty, although I tend to try to keep it below 500 PEP most of the time on RTTY and other 100% duty cycle modes. I use it on AM quite a bit and it handles this easily with care to keep the carrier below 200 PEP. I can bust through most pile-ups with ease on SSB.

CONCLUSION - A solid amp at a really attractive price for its power output level and quality. If you consider those two factors, there isn't anything else out there I have found that comes close. Negative- It's not American made.

Scott AC8DE

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Super Bargain!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a lot of different amps. When I got ready for a new amp, I determined to try an Ameritron. I decided I would either go with the 1500, 1200, 82, or 80B. Ultimately I bought the AL-80B. For the price difference this is a no brainer.

I will switch it over to 220, but right now it is on 110 and still has an output of 850 watts on CW. The amp is flawless, the fan is not noisy, and it is the best value for the dollar.

When I switch to 220, the amp will be a true 1KW amp. To get legal limit, I would have had to spent another 125-135%!!! That is a lot of cash.

B8KUE Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2009 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned this amplifier for about 6 months. I run it on 110v. It consistently puts out 1000 watts. It's very quiet and very easy to tune. The fit and finish is outstanding. I get great reports. If I can hear them, I can work them. Almost instant on and it runs very quiet. Thank you Ameritron for building such a great amplifier. Get one, you won't regret it.

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2009 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Maybe I'm Amazed, MFJ  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Let me put this into perspective. I was going to leave the hobby, and sold my Alpha 99. A great amp.
After a few months, I decided to continue in HF. I looked around and read reviews as well as speaking to fellow hams. I wanted to spend far less than what a new Alpha 99 goes for. For me, the Ameritron 80B is one of the best designed amps at it's price-point. It is VERY quiet, in fact, whisper quiet. Easily does the 1K output on most bands. The fit and finish inside and out, are superb! YES, MFJ has finally got great quality control, at least on the products I have purchased from them over the past 3 years. They are VERY customer friendly. I am one happy camper. The amp loafs along at 900-1000 watts. Easily, on 110V. Great metering, and an easy tuning amp. I am amazed !

W7KOL Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2009 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good Amp, I tune it with Ameritrons Amp Tuner-Pulser and can tune to full power in just a few seconds,

There is enough protection in this Amp its hard to damage it.

Mine will run 1 KW driving 90 Watts, but I back the drive down to about 80 and run 800 to 900 Watts out just to be safe, no one will know the diffrence.

I think for the price, its a fair deal.

K9XT Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2009 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Basic Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a used AL-80B nearly five years ago and it has performed extremely well. The electrolytics have a date code of 1995 and the 3-500z had a date code of 1994 indicating the amp is approximately 14 years old. I just recently replaced the 3-500z with a 3-500zg RFP tube due to growing problems with the tube (drifting input SWR and ALC instability). I also replaced the tube socket due to burn marks around the filiment pin holes and tightened the screws holding the fan in place (to eliminate a little bit of vibration noise). The amp is now running exactly as it should. The bottom line: A little bit of maintenance will keep this amp going for a long time.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2009 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Very good amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like others have said,its a plug and play amp out of the box,in more than a year using it I have had no bad issues at all,daily used heavily on 40,20,17 and 10M,either in CW as well as in SSB,it will run out 900 to 1000W wired for 120VAC(I have no 220 at home).It runs not too hot,cooling system is super,also very quite amp.Its the most efficient amp built by this company,67% of performance is not seen today by many amps.The ALC SET control in the front panel make easier the job to control the power of my FT-2000 from the amp.So far even with the amp at maximun power and a low efficient antenna as the G5RV I am using,no neighboors has complained of RFI.

Hector
AD4C
Lake Worth,FL

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2009 09:02 Send this review to a friend
A Joy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
My AL-80BQ has the QSK-5PC PIN diode switching module factory installed, and I am very pleased with it's operation & performance. The switching is instantaneous and silent. I use it with my K3 and Icom radios and they work together flawlessly each & every time. On CW, with the QSK-5PC module, running full break-in CW I can hear other stations between my dits plus when operating SSB no relay sound is heard due to the Pin diode switching from the QSK-5.

This amplifier is an absolute joy to operate.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2009 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Work the best on 240VAC  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Worked great right out of the box. Dropped 240VAC into the shack. Preformed a two tone test to check PEP. Got 1100 watts @ 85Watts input on the oscope. Nice clean two tone signal also on the oscope. Works like a charm with the Kenwood TS-2000. I always use an Ameriton ATP-102 AMPLIFIER TUNING PULSER II into a dummyload when tuning. Using the pulser the AL-80B only outputs 100 watts average.