Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Win-Test contest logging software Help

Reviews Summary for Win-Test contest logging software
Win-Test contest logging software Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $45.00 EU
Description: Not only another contest software : A real tool to win !
Win-Test is the new contest software written by Olivier F5MZN, the author of Editest (a reference in French contests logging software, now deprecated), and of DXNet, an Open Source DX Cluster system. All major international and many other contests are supported. Its DOS-style QSO window navigation capability in this GUI application will ease your job during the pile-ups !
More info: http://www.win-test.com

You can write your own review of the Win-Test contest logging software.

MW0EDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2014 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Best Contest software so far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried N1MM but it would just not work for me. And i tried it at least on 3 different occasions.

I then was suggested the Win Test. I purchased the key for it. It started working for me from the outset. Yahoo group assistance, if needed, is literary within minutes.

The interface, colours and ease of use is amazing.

My first full-time effort in a major contest resulted in the World record and respectivy 1st place in the world.

Recording SSB contest messages can be done via the transceivers microphone - that saved me a lot of time.

Minor points. Not all the desidable contests are supported. One cannot also self-design a contest or amend the existing one. One cannot transfer log in ADIF format into Win Test. The Win Test log is brilliant for DX peditions or as a casual log. The only reason I am not using it as my everyday log is that i cannot merge my old log with Win Test.

Still i rate it as 5.

73 ! MW0EDX

N3MX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2011 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Win-test is an excellent contest logger. I bounce back and forth between N1MM and Win-test and enjoy both immensely. It is solid and reliable and I have used it on Vista 64 bit and now Windows 7 64 bit. Support is good. Many contests are supported but not much for USA QSO parties.

K6CU Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2011 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Handles DX Peditions Too...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Since upgrading to Windows 7 I could no longer use my old HamLog program. Time to upgrade! After reading some reviews, I decided on Win-Test.

Love it for contests, but it is also useful as a "home log" as well by using the DXpedition feature.

So far (after 6 months and three contests) I'm very pleased. Uploaded my home station log to LoTW with no problems. If you use CT in contests, this software is similar in appearance and function but with many more options (I especially like the gray line map).

KB2EOQ Rating: 3/5 Jan 9, 2010 01:51 Send this review to a friend
Nicely designed but limited  Time owned: more than 12 months
An update to my initial review a couple of years ago....

The software is very nice in appearance and has some very useful features. Much better looking that N1MM Logger or Writelog . It is however limited in the number of contests it supports (when compared to N1MM Logger, for example) . Additionally, support is rather poor. The author does respond to questions but you are not likely to get responses as quickly as one can get responses from the larger group of hams that use N1MM Logger. There are 3-4 Wintest users that are responsive and helpful, but a question can go unanswered for a few days. With N1MM Logger most questions are answered within minutes.

I initially switched to Wintest because I was frustrated with N1MM Logger's rather old way of configuring things. I did find Wintest easier to set-up in terms of comm ports and RTTY settings. The method of setting up a link to a Dx Cluster was rather odd in Wintest, very confusing.

The Wintest method of issuing a license is annoying. If you need to install it to a different computer, you have to download the trial version and then get a license key re-issued for the new PC. While it does not take too long to get a new key, it can be a pain. I prefer other applications that let you use an existing key on any PC and you can re-enter a key yourself , not have to email for a new one.

Eventually my license was not valid for the latest version and I have not found the software useful enough to consider purchasing the latest version. This mainly due to limited support and many of the lesser contests not being included.

LA4RT Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2009 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Saved our a**es  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, don't pay too much attention to the '5' rating. I don't have enough experience with Win-Test. What I *can* say is that the peer to peer log synchronization really saved us when the network started acting up. It got knocked out by RF over and over, and one the computer wouldn't see the other's QSOs. Each time we got the network up again, the logs resynchronized. A huge relief.

W8JI Rating: 1/5 Mar 2, 2009 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Just get by software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you want software you have to work around bugs or shortfalls on your own, this is the right software!

We needed to pick software for logging in a new contest station. Two multi-multi contesters recommended Win-test. Win-test was a breeze to network and seemed to be a good fit initially, but as time went on, we discovered it had several shortfalls.

The CW generation and interface looked OK initially. After we used it a while, I discovered it is marginally planned. The weight control is not even a weight control. Whoever wrote the code for CW probably did not know what weight really is, and the weight is actually a “ratio” control. We also had, on some computers, the common problem of erratic CW character generation using the printer port. Someone recommended we purchase USB Winkeyers, so we scrapped several hundred dollars worth of brand new keyers and switched to USB Winkeyers.

The K1EL WinKeyers when standing alone or with N1MM worked flawlessly, but Win-test has a very marginal interface to the K1EL Win keyers. Speed and weight does not interface correctly out of Win-test, but the WinKeyers did fully solve the erratic CW generation issues. The author of Win-test is clearly not going to fix the interface issues, so after spending $1000 on keyers we have a system that is cumbersome to adjust weight, compensation, or speed. We cannot use the full features of the excellent USB keyers, so we paid $1000 for a marginal system. If you never really want a weight control that works properly, and if you do not mind opening and closing programs to adjust weight, and if you do not want full speed control features you will not notice these problems.

It would be nice if Win-test had some features for two radios on one band, to allow better time-sharing while locking out transmitters to keep the system a legal single transmitter. We built an external buffer and lock out to cure that problem. It is not as smooth as could have been done in the logging software. I am puzzled why Win-test does not want to improve the interface since every station using two transmitters on the same band would benefit, but it becomes easier to understand since they are not interested in fixing obvious CW design errors or improving RTTY.

This problem extends to other issues, like covering state QSO parties. While there are far too many of them, the attitude “go buy something else” seems to be an unfriendly attitude.

Recently there was a suggestion for greatly improving the usefulness of Win-test in RTTY contests, and the answer was something along the typical response. “We will not change it. This is a part time project.”

In fairness, if you run a multi-multi and only operate standard CW and SSB contests this software is easy to use and interface.

If you want more advanced software that gives you an edge, or if you are outside the way the software is provided or need a weight adjustment to fine tune the CW signal, don’t look for any hope of improvements with Win-test. It is what it is. If you like it as is, you will like it. If you expect it to get better over time, do not hold your breath while waiting.

PA2V Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2009 07:26 Send this review to a friend
The one that works in a minute.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the Dutch PACC contest I used a very VERY old program that did not generate Cabrilio format.
So I looked for something new that could go with me for some time. Tried quite some freeware but that didn't really satisfy me. I am not a very regular contester. So when I need it, it should work without a lot of needed experience. This is for the new ones a easy to learn and a very good program. I can import and export the files I want. And, very happy about it, I can import the contacts in my "normal" logbook too. So QSL-ing want be a job of opening another program. Really worth the euro's.

G3RXQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2008 02:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Contest Logging Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Started out with CT then SD, N1MM before trying WT. A really good program, however, I can't give it a 5.0 as it does not support SO2V. I am back with N1MM which does.

9A4NC Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2007 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent Contest Program

NE4EB Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2007 06:39 Send this review to a friend
This Is How It Should Work  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great customer support so far. The software is amazing and fun to learn to use. It was a blessing in disguise that the Write-Log folks ignored my order, wouldn't return calls or e-mail, and forced me to file a claim through PayPal to get my money back. This company is refreshing, and it's the best contest logger I have ever used. Keep up the great work.