Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-790R MkII Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-790R MkII
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 70cm All-mode base/portable/mobile transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-790R MkII.

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2008 01:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the good luck of picking one up from a owner who never used it for $120 and it has a good front end and is good overall performer. I do also have the 6M version and as the earlier reviewer mentioned, these are keepers.

However the FT-718ND of course will run circles around it for flexability and sheer no. bands, but this is still a nice little portable to have.

Steve, VR2XMQ/VR10XMQ

KA8SYX Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2004 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Good all-around rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over a year for use primarily as a satellite receiver for Mode J transponders, but initially purchased it used with the clip-on linear as a Mode U/S AO-40 uplink rig. Never got to use it for AO-40, but have used it to receive FO-series downlink signals. It's quite sensitive, and the detent-style VFO knob has never been a hassle for me. In fact, it helps me stay aware of what I'm doing while I adjust for the doppler. I think my biggest complaint about this rig is the crummy step choices in FM Mode: the smallest is 12.5kHz, and if the FM easysat downlink frequency is somewhere between and not right on the channel, the user is going to have a tough time using the "clarifier" control. I own both a -790R II and a -290R II and have lately considered selling either or both, but then I get to thinking and wind up not putting them on Ebay or any of the other ham sites. To me, they're both keepers.