Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | SGC "Power Clear" Add-on-DSP Help

Reviews Summary for SGC "Power Clear" Add-on-DSP
SGC Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: an add-on-DSP-filter with multiple-auto-notch, user programmable lowpass, bandpass and highpass filter and two denoise functions, one of these suppresses noise even between syllables. Several preprogrammed settings for wide, medium and narrow voice, CW, FAX, AMTOR and ALE plus some memories to save user settings.

You can write your own review of the SGC "Power Clear" Add-on-DSP.

K8TJ Rating: 1/5 Aug 6, 2013 16:18 Send this review to a friend
As Clse to JUNK as you can get  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Without a doubt the poorest external DSP I have ever used. This thing does not hold a candle to such devices as "any" Timewave DSP product, MFJ DSP and especially the W9GR DSP III. CW signals motorboat if set to less than 200hz and noise reduction is mediocre at best. No wonder they discontinued the product and SGC cannot even supply a manual for it. Just plain junk like ALL of their products.

DD3LY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2007 03:29 Send this review to a friend
still great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still convinced of this product, but I want to mention two facts I did not write in my last review:

This filter has several linear phase settings for data modes which are usable if you use the soundcard in your PC to make those modern data modes. These filter settings are shaped as sharp as the voice or CW settings but have linear phase therefore, which is needed in the data modes.

The filter has no bypass function when you switch it off. This is easy to add with an additional relay but that this simple function was not integrated into the filter is a disadvantage, in my eyes.

DD3LY Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2005 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Thes best add-on audio filter for all non-DSP-radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this filter for several years. It is very easy to handle although VERY versatile. It has the following preprogrammed modes: Voice (wide, medium, narrow, all three have 100ms delay), CW (with just 10ms delay still usable for QSK!) and four linear phase data modes (Amtor, Sitor, Pactor, ALE). ALL modes may be recalled to use or even to modify. You may save your own settings into seven user memories. You may use this filter as a simple Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass-Filter with free selectable/shiftable cutoff and center frequency. The Notch mode suppresses up to five disturbing tones simultaneously, you may see them on the input bargraph but you really hear nothing of these tones. The grade of denoising not just selectable, it's tunable. A signal without ANY noise is difficult to understand, our ear NEEDS some noise. With this filter you can tune the grade of denoising. Additionally (!) you can select a denoising mode which does not just make a general denoising but adds a denoising mode which subtracts noise between the syllables. I love this filter because it is so easy to operate, you do not need the manual and you do not need to know any codes or user levels. There is just one user level which you can see on the front panel. The integral speaker is not usable, it is simply too small. I recommend to use an external speaker, but this is just a minor disadvantage. Another thing is a thing is a hiss-tone I hear when I use the headphone output. It is NOT really disturbing when there is an audio signal but I want to mention this. I still give this filter a "5". These filters are rare and hard to find, SGC does not sell them anymore although I know a company where I have seen them offered some weeks ago.