Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | G4ZLP Electronics CAT interfaces Help

Reviews Summary for G4ZLP Electronics CAT interfaces
G4ZLP Electronics CAT interfaces Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $25.00
Description: Inexpensive CAT interfaces for Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood rigs.
More info: http://g4zlp.ham-radio.ch/

You can write your own review of the G4ZLP Electronics CAT interfaces.

VK3JED Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2013 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent CAT interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ordered a CAT/data interface for my IC-7000. Connection went smoothly. My model also has the second serial port for separate PTT keying, which has got me out of trouble in a couple of situations, such as software not supporting CAT PTT (e.g. FreeDV). Driver installation was easy, interface has been used in the shack and portable with a variety of modes including PSK-31, Winlink (RMS Express), FreeDV, and software such as Ham Radio Deluxe, satellite tracking and memory management.

The only issues I found were some software required that I fix the baud rate, and 19200 bps was found to be best by trial and error. Also, in extreme RF environments, the interface may be reset by excessive RF. The CAT port is more susceptible than the other ports to this issue. However, this problem only occurs in extreme environments, which in my case were caused by antenna and ground limitations at my previous QTH. Shouldn't be an issue for 99% of users.

I reluctantly took a point off my rating for these minor issues, but overall I highly recommend any of the interfaces from the G4ZLP range.

G4HZV Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
DigiMaster USB to RS232 serial CAT Interface:

Easy ordering and fast delivery. Initially had some problems with the driver, which was my fault! Fixed that and it's been steaming along, no problem at all.

Recommended.

G7VKZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2012 12:03 Send this review to a friend
As good as it gets!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These are really as good as they get.
Now USB versions that have exchangable leads (universal cat interfaces). Had a few items and all worked flawlesly, when I did need help (and it was my fault down to my age - Doh!) Neil was back to me with the solution within the hour.
Also have the new ProTwo interface, ALL data modes, AFSK, FSK, CW, built in CAT and built in SOUNDCARD - AND IT WAS ALL A DODDLE to set up - even for me! You rarely see or get service or value for money like this nowadays.

Oh, and the review below? Well G7VKX is a valid callsign but it does not belong to anyone! (I suspect it is envy from another competitor again).

KJ6BBS Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2011 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Research paid off =)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spent days scouring the interwebs for a cable for CAT control, since my FT-897D's CAT port was occupied by my auto-tuner. Found the mic port version that has a USB port for the PC, and is split to allow tandem use with mic. Simple, works right out of the box (Windows 7 auto-installed drivers), and no complaints about this cable whatsoever.

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2010 19:02 Send this review to a friend
low price quick delivery from U.K.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I built a new computer and upgraded to to 64 bit Win 7, I found the Prolific driver on my old usb to civ I/F useless. Fortunately, the motherboard had an internal connection for a serial port which had to be brought out with a three dollar cable and I/F bracket. Since this was a high end quad CPU, it was a done deal that it would be with me for a while, so rather than mess around with another usb, went for the serial interface from ZLP which was also much less cost and was available in a wide variety of cable lengths, so I bought the 4 meter size. Also very reasonable cost, even shipping to U.S. Arrived in a little over a week, well packed and ready to go. Well made, works great, and plenty of cable length to move stuff around. Have since built a budget dual core pc to dedicate to shack which will go into custom shack shelving for summer shelving. Good product for my needs.

N5THN Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 14:18 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Far and away the best CAT interface out there in my opinion. I've owner two others I won't name, one just plain never worked, the other works but freezes once in while. The ZLP has always been rock solid, and by the way it cost a fraction of the other two interfaces! Simple, quality construction, delivers on it's promises. What more could you ask for?

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2009 09:52 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
GREAT product at a GREAT price.FAST shipping as well.Should I need another one it will be a ZLP "AGAIN"!

Clayton
W4KVW

N8EB Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2009 05:18 Send this review to a friend
DigiMaster USB Pro  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some background...

My local club has REALLY been getting into digital the last year or two - we even have a weekly 2-meter digital net so members can test out their gear and software settings, and get advice from some digi-experts.

I tried first holding the mic close to speakers of the rig and the computer for digital, but as you can imagine, that becomes old REAL quick.

Tried out several different digital interfaces - and they worked to some degree - but was never completely happy with any of them.

The last one I tried was the West Mountian Radio NoMic on my Yaesu 897D. It worked out OK, but on the 2-meter net I would have to TX and quickly unplug the NoMic and plug my microphone back in to talk.

Another problem with this set up was I was using my only serial port for Ham Radio Deluxe and rig control. Had to buy an "USB to serial converter" for the digital interface, and that presented it's own set of problems...

So I bit the bullet and bought the best ZLP interface he sells - the "DigiMaster USB Pro". I think I paid about $160 delivered to Michigan from England back in winter 2009. I see today that the price has gone down.

I was REALLY surprised when it arrived in just a few days, package was in perfect shape, was VERY easy to hook up, and it work perfectly the first time out. So now with one device I have rig control, a data interface that every piece of software seems to see, I don't have to unplug and re-plug in my mic, and I can even do keyboard CW in CW mode to boot!

I hate to admit, but since making general I have not been using my Morse Code and most likely wouldn't even recognise my own call sign. This interface has a key plug, so it does NOT imitate CW in another mode - it actually keys the rig in CW mode!

So bottom line, there are good interfaces out there for data modes, for CW, and for rig control. Some of the interfaces use serial ports - getting scarce now-a-days - and some use a USB port, but this thing is the cat's meow! It works great, and contrary to some other reviews, everytime I wrote Niel with a question it seemed like he was poised over hus computer waiting to respond to me! I would reccomend not only the DigiMaster USB Pro interface, but Neil and ZLP to anyone!

VK4TZA Rating: 2/5 May 9, 2009 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have struggled with the USB CAT interface for some years now. Never managed to achieve satisfactory CAT control, and experienced regular data collisions requiring system re boot(s). The unit was used with Yeasu FT-857 and FT-897. 18 months ago I returned the unit to the UK after the unit smoked. Ignoring all this I queried ZLP to support me with the wiring of the unit to isolate my FT-2000. With no response from ZLP, I binned the unit and took my business elsewhere.

JOHNWEBSTEREX2E0JWW Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2008 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Top notch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used ZLP electronics on four occasions now and never had a problem at all.I have had CAT interfaces for a Yaesu FT2000,Icom IC7000,Kenwood TS2000 and a Kenwood TS950sdx,all of them have done what it says on the tin,I have reccomended ZLP to quite a few of my friends and all have been delighted with his products.Also i would like to say that the service has been 1st class.long may it continue.

John 2e0jww.