Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior" Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior"
Vibroplex   Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Compact iambic key featuring a soft adjustable magnetic action.
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior".

W9KNI Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2016 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted a small light but responsive paddle for portable/remote operation. I saw the Code Warrior Junior at Dayton, was impressed and got one. It is perfect for the intended use. Although small and light the construction is rugged, and it is well made. A full range of adjustment is available, though the tensioning adjustment is not done on the fly - and be sure to save the instruction sheet to understand the method of adjusting tension.

Let me be honest - it is not a paddle I would want to use for every day extended operation - but that is not why I bought it. For a small, light, rugged and responsive paddle for portable operation it is perfect.

K7ZV Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2016 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Small but Mighty  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Code Warrior is a nicely machined straight forward paddle with clean crisp action. Once adjusted, it has a great feel to it and it stays in place under my heavy handed fist. I purchased the "Code Warrior Junior" for use with my Elecraft K3/0 Mini and Idom Press CMOS-4 Keyer that makes a perfect small profile that I use for my remote setup when I travel in the RV. I wanted a smaller than typical paddle to go with the remote rig and was attracted to the Code Warrior Junior because of its small size and feel. The "Code Warrior Junior" has exceeded all my expectations.

KB4LHP Rating: 1/5 Oct 17, 2015 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Promise of 'Well Built', but falls short  Time owned: more than 12 months
Far from impressed.
Looks deceptively well built until you attempt to adjust it.
Screws holding down the stationary dit/dah contacts are too short and hold the contact block in place with 2 threads. This makes attaching any pre-manufactured paddle cables with spade ends difficult to almost impossible. The only thing you can do is cut off the spade terminals and solder the wires directly to the keyer.
Stationary contacts are attached to the end of the screws after the screw has been screwed through the stationary brass block. This makes it so you cannot remove the adjustable contact whatsoever for cleaning. You can back it out to the edge of the brass and no further.
And finally, the show-stopper for me, Unable to get dit key work reliably. Sometimes it dits and sometimes it doesn't dit. Mostly it doesn't dit.
I have never been able to use this keyer successfully. :(
I am sure it has its place, but I am pretty sure that place is not in my shack.
73 de KB4LHP
Luther, Orlando, FL
Code Warrior Serial # 3543

K0SF Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2014 04:36 Send this review to a friend
Very good paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Code Warrior Jr. at the 2014 Dayton Hamvention, and find it to have very smooth action for its price. This is the perfect paddle to bring to a Field Day assuming you don't want your $300 paddle to get scratched up.

I added a second nut to the dash lever stop, and I know that some have added small washers to take up the vertical play.

I use it frequently, although I prefer my N3ZN ZN-5.

For $100, this is the best "feel" paddle around.

N5IKD Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Simple and elegant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Vibroplex Code Warrior Jr. is simple and elegant. I purchased it because it does not have the inherited convolution that other paddles get from their traditional designs.

My first impression out of the box was that it was heavy and solid piece. The action was too heavy for my taste. Never having had paddles that use a magnet return, I had to experiment with the settings for several sessions to get it right. The instructions do tell you what you need to know to make the adjustments, but they are not immediately clear. Fortunately the simplicity of the design makes it easy to figure out. It is not necessary to disassemble for basic adjustments, but it is necessary to disassemble for more intricate adjustments. Taking the paddle apart is easy and Allen wrenches are supplied.

I now have it set for a very light action and very little travel.

AF4RK Rating: 3/5 Feb 11, 2014 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Had fix it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like AC4BN, I had to find a washer with 1/4" ID to fix the vertical play in the DIT lever. I sent an email to Vibroplex about the problem and the responder had no idea what a Code Warrior was. I had wanted Vibroplex to send me a shim, but I found a washer in my junk box that worked. For $110, it should not repairs out of the box. Otherwise, it's a great key, hence the 3.

AC4BN Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2013 07:02 Send this review to a friend
good key but it arrived with a problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was attracted to the Code Warrior Jr because it appeared to be simple and sturdy, and would be good for use in my camper. I recently bought one and after using it a little I found that it had arrived with a problem. The dash lever was pivoting okay, but it was also prone to wobble vertically. I found the screw to hold down the dash lever could not be tightened enough to hold the lever properly, so it was flopping around. Something changed between design and manufacture, and poor quality control on the assembly.

I found a washer that would fit and inserted that under the head of the screw, and that solved the problem, so the screw would pull the lever down tight with no play. While the paddle lever was out I also decreased the paddle tension by adjusting the screw that sets the closest approach to the magnet.

To adjust the tension or spacing between the lever arm contacts it is necessary to remove the lever, but itís not hard to do at all. In fact, this key is much easier to take apart than other keys Iíve used.

I wish the rubber feet were softer for better traction; I finally glued down a piece of course sandpaper for it to sit on (that holds it!). Overall, this key is simple and sturdy, and it has a good feel, but plan to spend a little time adjusting it.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2012 02:20 Send this review to a friend
The Best there is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At long last I have an iambic paddle that I can really come to grips with. This paddle has magnets instead of springs and I wonder why I have waited so long before trying them! The unit is quite heavy, it doesn't move around on the bench. You DON'T have to take the thing apart to adjust it, despite other comments in this column to the contrary. It's easy to adjust and soooooo easy to use. I found that Vibroplex sell refurbished units, and being a pensioner and not flush with cash, I bought one from them for $60. This has to be the bargain of the century. I really recommend the Code Warrior.
Kind regards
Norm VK5GI

M0JHA Rating: 3/5 Aug 4, 2011 12:24 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i felt i needed to make another post re this key after i gave it a not so great first impression..

I stand by my first post but thought i would post re actually using the key.. I played around with it and set it as i like , that is a feather light touch with minimal movement.. I did have to take bits off the key to adjust but that wasn't a problem

I wasn't sure at first if i would like the magnetic approach instead of springs but i'm pleasantly suprised..

The key works flawlessly and the magnets are well capable of providing the return force..

all in all i'm satisfied with this key but will stick with the 3/5

N7OH Rating: 3/5 Apr 8, 2011 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Less than I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had high hopes for this paddle, after reading the reviews here. I looked high and low for a low-cost paddle. Something that I could get my feet wet with. I had already made a home-brew touch keyer that did not suit me. Then I rigged up some legos to make a mechanical paddles. But it did not have good enough tolerances (go figure) so I could not adjust it to be the way I really wanted it. By this time, I think I had a good idea of what I wanted, but could not afford it. I wanted something with some high tolerances that I could adjust to my preferences. But since I am just learning CW, I didn't want to shell out for a Begali (which is looking very shiny).

When I got the unit I tried it out straight from the box. The instructions say that most people will not need to adjust anything. My foot! The magnets were set so the tension was very high and then the contacts had to travel more than 1/16 of an inch. It took me a bit to find the adjustment locations because you actually have to disassemble the whole paddle in order to change anything. In order to change the return screws, you have to remove the levers and contact posts. To use an allen wrench to adjust the magnet screws, you have to remove the levers. The only thing that you can adjust without any disassembly is the contact posts. So get everything in place and then adjust that.

One thing that really bugs me is the low tolerances that it is built with. The nylon washers are too big for the screws that go in them and too small for the holes they fit in. That allows the parts to wiggle around and hard to align everything. And to attach the cord, you have to loosen the screw, which will mess up any adjustments you have made. The adjustment screws are really quite coarse which makes fine adjustments rather difficult. The pivot points are not bearings, but rather just a screw in a hole. The tolerances on that hole are not very tight, which allows for a slight vertical and horizontal wobble unless you screw the screw in so tight that the lever no longer swings freely. I was misled by the photo (the washers looked like the tops of some bearings) so I was most disappointed here.

After I got everything adjusted to my satisfaction, I made sure to tighten all the nuts and screws well so my settings would hold. And then it mostly operates to my satisfaction. But I am still not happy about the pivot screws. They are not sufficiently long enough to provide a stable pivot for the lever arms. As a result, the lever arms are able to move vertically. This extra play in movement is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by purchasing a quality machined paddle.