Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior" Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior"
Vibroplex   Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Compact iambic key featuring a soft adjustable magnetic action.
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior".

AF4RK Rating: 3/5 Feb 11, 2014 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Had fix it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like AC4BN, I had to find a washer with 1/4" ID to fix the vertical play in the DIT lever. I sent an email to Vibroplex about the problem and the responder had no idea what a Code Warrior was. I had wanted Vibroplex to send me a shim, but I found a washer in my junk box that worked. For $110, it should not repairs out of the box. Otherwise, it's a great key, hence the 3.

AC4BN Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2013 07:02 Send this review to a friend
good key but it arrived with a problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was attracted to the Code Warrior Jr because it appeared to be simple and sturdy, and would be good for use in my camper. I recently bought one and after using it a little I found that it had arrived with a problem. The dash lever was pivoting okay, but it was also prone to wobble vertically. I found the screw to hold down the dash lever could not be tightened enough to hold the lever properly, so it was flopping around. Something changed between design and manufacture, and poor quality control on the assembly.

I found a washer that would fit and inserted that under the head of the screw, and that solved the problem, so the screw would pull the lever down tight with no play. While the paddle lever was out I also decreased the paddle tension by adjusting the screw that sets the closest approach to the magnet.

To adjust the tension or spacing between the lever arm contacts it is necessary to remove the lever, but itís not hard to do at all. In fact, this key is much easier to take apart than other keys Iíve used.

I wish the rubber feet were softer for better traction; I finally glued down a piece of course sandpaper for it to sit on (that holds it!). Overall, this key is simple and sturdy, and it has a good feel, but plan to spend a little time adjusting it.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2012 02:20 Send this review to a friend
The Best there is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At long last I have an iambic paddle that I can really come to grips with. This paddle has magnets instead of springs and I wonder why I have waited so long before trying them! The unit is quite heavy, it doesn't move around on the bench. You DON'T have to take the thing apart to adjust it, despite other comments in this column to the contrary. It's easy to adjust and soooooo easy to use. I found that Vibroplex sell refurbished units, and being a pensioner and not flush with cash, I bought one from them for $60. This has to be the bargain of the century. I really recommend the Code Warrior.
Kind regards
Norm VK5GI

M0JHA Rating: 3/5 Aug 4, 2011 12:24 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i felt i needed to make another post re this key after i gave it a not so great first impression..

I stand by my first post but thought i would post re actually using the key.. I played around with it and set it as i like , that is a feather light touch with minimal movement.. I did have to take bits off the key to adjust but that wasn't a problem

I wasn't sure at first if i would like the magnetic approach instead of springs but i'm pleasantly suprised..

The key works flawlessly and the magnets are well capable of providing the return force..

all in all i'm satisfied with this key but will stick with the 3/5

N7OH Rating: 3/5 Apr 8, 2011 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Less than I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had high hopes for this paddle, after reading the reviews here. I looked high and low for a low-cost paddle. Something that I could get my feet wet with. I had already made a home-brew touch keyer that did not suit me. Then I rigged up some legos to make a mechanical paddles. But it did not have good enough tolerances (go figure) so I could not adjust it to be the way I really wanted it. By this time, I think I had a good idea of what I wanted, but could not afford it. I wanted something with some high tolerances that I could adjust to my preferences. But since I am just learning CW, I didn't want to shell out for a Begali (which is looking very shiny).

When I got the unit I tried it out straight from the box. The instructions say that most people will not need to adjust anything. My foot! The magnets were set so the tension was very high and then the contacts had to travel more than 1/16 of an inch. It took me a bit to find the adjustment locations because you actually have to disassemble the whole paddle in order to change anything. In order to change the return screws, you have to remove the levers and contact posts. To use an allen wrench to adjust the magnet screws, you have to remove the levers. The only thing that you can adjust without any disassembly is the contact posts. So get everything in place and then adjust that.

One thing that really bugs me is the low tolerances that it is built with. The nylon washers are too big for the screws that go in them and too small for the holes they fit in. That allows the parts to wiggle around and hard to align everything. And to attach the cord, you have to loosen the screw, which will mess up any adjustments you have made. The adjustment screws are really quite coarse which makes fine adjustments rather difficult. The pivot points are not bearings, but rather just a screw in a hole. The tolerances on that hole are not very tight, which allows for a slight vertical and horizontal wobble unless you screw the screw in so tight that the lever no longer swings freely. I was misled by the photo (the washers looked like the tops of some bearings) so I was most disappointed here.

After I got everything adjusted to my satisfaction, I made sure to tighten all the nuts and screws well so my settings would hold. And then it mostly operates to my satisfaction. But I am still not happy about the pivot screws. They are not sufficiently long enough to provide a stable pivot for the lever arms. As a result, the lever arms are able to move vertically. This extra play in movement is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by purchasing a quality machined paddle.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2008 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Great key, great service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did a previous rave review on this key and decided that I wanted the looks of the chrome warrior for my desk. I bought a used one and found that the left arm bushing had to much play for my liking. Even though it was 3 years out of warranty, Vibroplex sent me a new arm without any hesitation. I love the key and cetainly like dealing with an old school first class company like Vibroplex.

K6WHP Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2008 21:23 Send this review to a friend
A tick above "O.K."  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is NOT being written by an expert and verteran brass pounder, but I wanted to throw my two cents in for those who are interested in these paddles. They are everything the other folks say they are and more (or less) but there is one thing to consider before buying these paddles: the actual plastic paddles themselves are very fragile.

I have taken my set out to the mountains and lugged them along on FD expeditions and have gone through two sets of these at $4.00 per side.

So, if any of you see these as the rugged, outdoorsy type of intrument they appear to be, guess again. You could find yourselves out in the wilderness able to make dahs to your heart's content but end up on the short side if dits are needed.

Guess it's o.k., if your name is Tom and you are talking to your mom about the sounds cows make.

Recommend replacing them with guitar picks or something a little less brittle.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2008 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Great compact key.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have many different keys and like this one as much as my expensive ones. The secret to this key is to really snug evrything down once it is adjusted to your touch. I use mine fixed, portable, and mobile and think it is a bargain for the price.

WA2DTW Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2007 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent paddles  Time owned: more than 12 months
Was purchased to go with my FT817. Very easy to use, no adjustments were needed. Much more rugged than the Bencher paddles that I have used for years. Definitely in the Vibroplex tradition of great workmanship.

NI0C Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2007 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Tension adjustments tricky  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used a friend's Code Warrior during a couple of Field Day contests and liked it very much. I finally purchased one of my own at this years Dayton Hamfest. I opted for the nice looking chrome version. It is a nice size, not taking up too much room on the desktop-- yet has a heavy base for stability. Now that I have it adjusted, I find it comparable to my trusty Brown Bros. paddle.

The drawback for me is the awkward arrangement for adjusting the magnetic tension. It's not at all easy. You basically need to take the whole thing apart, guess at a setting, then put it back together to test it. The instructions provided by Vibroplex discourage the user from doing this with the statement: "Usually the CW operator will not find it necessary to change the initial adjustment." I found the initial setting way too tight and had to go through several iterations.