Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior" Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior"
Vibroplex   Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Compact iambic key featuring a soft adjustable magnetic action.
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior".

KILOWATT Rating: 3/5 Mar 20, 2006 16:25 Send this review to a friend
A little disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, it works and I suppose that's the bottom line. Cute little guy and very smooth action but I'm not overly impressed with the workmanship.

The right/dash side lever is nice and snug. The left/dot side is a bit floppy.

I'll keep it but it'll be my last Vibroplex.

KC8QVO Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2005 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Great iambic key, feels good with magnetic action - no springs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this key almost daily. I like the size, it is big and heavy enough for base use yet is small enough for portable operations. I have taken this key with me on all my travels throughout the country and to my family's cabin in Canada. It is equally at home on your desk in the shack or at your final destination, and dont forget those couple QSO's at the rest stop when you're taking a break from driving! I love using the key.

The construction is very solid and well designed. The machined parts are great quality. The only thing you have to watch, as with most keys, is that the contacts are tight - ie, the locknutts are tightened down otherwise the contacts will move around on you. Same goes for the screws that the magnets attract to hold the key open. Those need to be tight as well. The magnetic action had a strange feel to me at first, but it didnt take long to get used to it. I really like the way it feels. The gap between the magnets and the screws they attract to open the key is adjustable so you can customize the sensitivity to your liking. The key does not come with a wire and connector, so you need to supply your own. I did not find this to be a disadvantage as I like to solder and put things together myself. I used a metal cased, spring strain relief 1/4" sterio connector from Radio Shack and it works quite nicely. The plastic case connector would work as well but the metal one gives it more of a quality look.

With a little bit of care every once in a while, you cant beat this key with a stick! Its a great all-purpose key for portable or base use. The magnet action is a little different than the spring action that most keys have and provides for a unique feel.

Steve, KC8QVO

N6NVP Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2005 22:39 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite Paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was a prize I gave myself for upgrading my ticket. I loved the size, loved the look, and loved the feel of the action. I started having problems with the JR holding the settings I was comfortable with. A friend pointed out that I needed to tighten down the blocks - all three mounted on the base were VERY loose. It took 5 minutes, then a couple more to reapply my settings. Now I love this paddle all over again and use it for 90% of my QSOs.Haven't had to tweak it in months.

KE6US Rating: 4/5 Feb 3, 2005 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Not awful!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About 20 years ago, I made the switch to an electronic keyer after 25+ years of Vibroplex bugs. I bought a Vibroplex Brass Racer out of brand loyalty, I guess. A piece of crap in my humble opinion. Wouldn't stay adjusted and the paddles wobbled all over the place. I returned it to HRO after 2 days and bought a Bencher BY-2. I bought the BY-1 for mobile shortly after. That one got launched from the passenger seat to the floor more times than I can count. It survived pretty well, though the little plastic pivots are gouged up and need replacing now.

Recently, I was looking for a paddle to complement my K1 on hiking and backpacking trips. I screwed around with Paddlettes, Bull Dogs, White Rooks and homebrew paddles, all of which are SMALL, but they are CRAP. I need to compromise somewhat when I backpack my K1, but I don't need to torture myself.

So...remembering that Brass Racer, but unwilling to suffer from little crappie backpacking paddles, I checked out a Code Warrior Junior. Schur apparently has stopped making their small paddle.

Very nice. Perfect size. Large enough to consider for the base station. Not so large that I'm embarassed to pull it out of my backpack. Rugged. I think it would launch against the floor of the car as well as the Bencher, maybe even better. Solid feel. Not silky, but pleasant. A little noisey, but I spent a number of years slapping a cootie, so it's probably me. Seems to hold adjustments pretty well, though the threads are too coarse. The attracting magnets give it a nice feeling tension.

Clean, simple, almost elegant design. Rugged enough for the trail, yet not too heavy (21 oz...ok not all that light either). And at 100 bucks it is excellent value for the money.

I like it. I'm using it as much at home as on the trail.

KF4TQJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2004 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There's a new Code Warrior Jr. out. It's got a chrome base and has Vibroplex engraved on the brass. I bought it last week at the Huntsville, AL Hamfest. It's #108. I've been using the Vibroplex Iambic Standard. The Jr has a lot nicer feel to it to me. Taste in keyes is a subjective thing though. It's just smooth, solid and quiet. The mechanical operator doesn't clack like the Iambic Standard one does. Didn't know if I'd like a key based on maganets, but I do. No quality issues at all on this paddle.
Try it, you'll like it.
Woody / KF4TQJ / FP# 430

K2JN Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2004 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Great customer service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased key #1378 in September, 2003. It was a fairly attractive unit and came supplied with adjustment tools and a small key pad that looked similar to a very tiny mouse-pad. The action felt good and the mechanical aspects were fairly decent. However, quality control was a bit off. One of my acrylic paddles had a small micro-fracture near the mounting hole. When I sent Vibroplex an email to inform them of the defect, they rapidly sent me a replacement. Overall, great customer service but they could use some improvement in quality control. Still think itís a nice key worth owning.

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2002 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Great, no QC problems for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm lousy at CW, but this key makes me want to be better. I've got #454, and I've had it since 1999. It looks great. It works great. All the parts fit together well. Nothing has ever come loose. I take my IC-706 on travel a lot, and this key stands up to being bounced around in a briefcase. (But does it ever get the attention of airport security people. This guarantees a bag search.) I like my Bencher key better, but its a close call, and I tend to swap them back and forth. Based on my experience, this key is well worth purchasing. You probably want to give it a close look-over when you take it out of the box to catch any QC problems other buyers have reported.

W6ZIP Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2002 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Customer Service!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I contacted the Customer service dept. at Vibroplex and expressed concer over the flawed parts that I received with my paddle set. Without hesitation she asked me what it was that I needed and then proceeded to shipp the parts to me free. I was very happy to add the new parts to an allready nicely machined set of paddles. Maybe not for the plug-and-play guys, but after all the adjustments, they are great!!

W6ZIP Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2002 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Action, but QC Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my set of paddles today. Noticed several descrepancies with some of the parts: The magnet was a bit chewed up on the ends and seemed to slip right out of the center machined block. I used some lock-tite to secure it in place. Also the nylon insulators on the underside of the base that hold the machined contact blocks in place had the screws over tightened causing them to mushroom out slightly. Disregarding all of the extra time I spent making up for poor QC, The operation of this unit is great. I would still recommend it to anyone wanting to get a good machined instrument for under $100

N1KSN Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2002 14:01 Send this review to a friend
A good portable paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Vibroplex Code Warrior Junior is my first paddle. When I became a ham 10 years ago my main attraction was CW and The Old Ways, and I forced myself to learn how to use a bug. After being off the air for 7 years I got a Yaesu FT-817 which has a built-in keyer, so I decided to give iambic keying a try. I bought Vibroplex because I have three of their bugs and the Code Warrior Jr. looked to be the right size and price for my portable operation.

I can't compare this paddle to any other paddles, but the feel seems plenty solid to me, and I like the magnet action. I would have rated it a 5 except for a couple of things.

First, I had to build my own strain relief with 10 mil brass sheet folded over the cable I bought with it. This was drilled and then held down by one of the grounded bolts holding the center section of the key. Also, I was a bit worried about accidental grounding of the dit and dah line cable connectors so I added some shrink tubing over these. Lastly, the plastic paddles had somewhat sharp edges, so I used a very fine grit sanding stick to smooth the edges.

After these minor concerns it was just a matter of getting all the key pieces lined back up before tightening everything down and then adjusting the contact gaps. After two casual days of operating I am very satisfied, and my only concern now is learning the Iambic Way without ruining the bug fist I worked so hard to learn.