Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior" Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior"
Vibroplex   Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Compact iambic key featuring a soft adjustable magnetic action.
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex "Code Warrior Junior".

W6ZIP Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2002 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Action, but QC Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my set of paddles today. Noticed several descrepancies with some of the parts: The magnet was a bit chewed up on the ends and seemed to slip right out of the center machined block. I used some lock-tite to secure it in place. Also the nylon insulators on the underside of the base that hold the machined contact blocks in place had the screws over tightened causing them to mushroom out slightly. Disregarding all of the extra time I spent making up for poor QC, The operation of this unit is great. I would still recommend it to anyone wanting to get a good machined instrument for under $100

N1KSN Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2002 14:01 Send this review to a friend
A good portable paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Vibroplex Code Warrior Junior is my first paddle. When I became a ham 10 years ago my main attraction was CW and The Old Ways, and I forced myself to learn how to use a bug. After being off the air for 7 years I got a Yaesu FT-817 which has a built-in keyer, so I decided to give iambic keying a try. I bought Vibroplex because I have three of their bugs and the Code Warrior Jr. looked to be the right size and price for my portable operation.

I can't compare this paddle to any other paddles, but the feel seems plenty solid to me, and I like the magnet action. I would have rated it a 5 except for a couple of things.

First, I had to build my own strain relief with 10 mil brass sheet folded over the cable I bought with it. This was drilled and then held down by one of the grounded bolts holding the center section of the key. Also, I was a bit worried about accidental grounding of the dit and dah line cable connectors so I added some shrink tubing over these. Lastly, the plastic paddles had somewhat sharp edges, so I used a very fine grit sanding stick to smooth the edges.

After these minor concerns it was just a matter of getting all the key pieces lined back up before tightening everything down and then adjusting the contact gaps. After two casual days of operating I am very satisfied, and my only concern now is learning the Iambic Way without ruining the bug fist I worked so hard to learn.

WD4MFB Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2001 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Great value.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought key no. 648 at the hamfest yesterday after playing with it. It was on display and I was surprised as soon as I began sending. The feel is solid and the engineering simple. I have followed the story on the paddle since it was a Norcal project and was surprised to find it better than expected. Several of the members of our club bought one also. It appears to be better manufactured than the earlier serial numbers. It came with a non-skid pad and allen wrenches for adjusting. This will be a fun paddle to use and it was worth the money.

W0OOW Rating: 3/5 May 9, 2001 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Quality?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Vibroplex Code Warrior Jr. for mostly mobile CW. Perhaps times have changed... First, the magnet which controls the keying pressure was not solid. It came loose and stuck to one of the paddle assemblies. I solved this by recentering the magnet and adding a touch of a fast harding glue to each side. Next.. the solder lugs come in a bag - not installed .. egads... Had to deal with that... Next, where is the strain relief clamp for the key cable? Mine did not come with one.. I had one, so time to install it.. but... the screw that would normally hold that is too short.. off to the hardware store to find a longer screw... How does it work AFTER a person gets through the initial problems? Fine.. works nicely.. feel good as well.

KC4TXR Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2001 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Super Paddle with Excellent Quality Control  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Code Warrior is a simple straight forward paddle with crisp clean action. Once adjusted, it stays put. Very nice machining on the brass levers and the powder coated base is virtually indestructable. The magnets in attraction mode give a pleasant positive feel, not that wimpy mushy feel you get with magnets in replusion mode. The plain lever bearings will need to be adjusted to suit your tastes but that's standard operating procedure. Nice beefy silver contacts too. Very reasonable price and enough heft to stay put. All in all, a great solid key.

K8NY Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2001 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent paddle but QC a problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this paddle last year at Dayton for use with my mobile IC 706G. After correcting 2 problems (play in the bushings and contact contamination) the paddle works flawlessly. The magnetic pressure adjustment is the best one I've seen so far. Excellent job on this. The weight of the paddle is heavy enough to allow use on the car seat without the unit moving. Next to my Schurr, it's the best paddle I own.
A great value for the price.I would have given it a 5 rating but the quality control needs to be addressed.

N5XQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2000 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Good Key For Mobile Ops  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This key was purchased to use with an Icom 706 MKII during mobile operation. The key is well made and was once manufactured as a kit by NorCal. The serial number on mine is 65 probably one of the first production models by Vibroplex. The main complaint I have is that the brass/bronze bushings for the paddle arms have a good deal of play in them. I like to operate my keys with tight contacts, and with play in the paddle arms, I found my self sending multiple dots on occassion or the paddle becomming stuck. This problem was corrected by lining the bushing hole with thin foil to reduce the amount of play in the paddle arms. Since it has been a very reliable key.

N0BG Rating: 3/5 Jun 28, 2000 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Action, but QC Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was attracted to the Code Warrior Junior because of its small size and feel. The demo unit at Dayton convinced me. Unfortunately, when I got home with my new unit, it worked for a week and then stopped working on the dash side. After a bit of trouble shooting connectors, cables, keyer, etc., I found the problem was that the contact face piece was not soldered to the threaded adjustment rod on the dash side. It appeared to have paste flux holding it together. After cleaning off the flux, it worked fine. I then soldered the contact face to the threaded rod and it has been fine ever since. I think this unit was from an early production run so maybe later units don't have this problem. Otherwise, I have been satisfied with the Code Warrior Junior.

N4TD Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2000 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Very good small paddle  Time owned: unknown months
I purchased the "Code Warrier Junior" for use with my Elelcraft K2. I wanted a smaller than typical paddle to go with the portable rig. The "Code Warrier Junior" has exceeded my expectations. It has a feel that I like very much. The lever return seems crisp and solid. In my opinion the magnetic lever return works better than the magnetic system on my Brass Racer. The contacts appear to be silver and I have experienced no contact problems. Mechanical construction is simple and seems sturdy enough for field use. I own six paddles and the "Code Warrior Junior" is now the most used.