Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Ameritron RCS-8V Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron RCS-8V
Ameritron RCS-8V Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $145
Description: Remote coax switch
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=RCS-8V

You can write your own review of the Ameritron RCS-8V.

W9BB Rating: 0/5 Nov 26, 2016 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality - No QC/QA  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a new one, and the wall wart (mine was DC powered) and wall wart is dead as a door nail. Once I located another wall wart, 1 position on the relay box didn't work. Doesn't MFJ check any of this crap before the box it up????

W5KVA Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2016 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: more than 12 months
In summary, Ameritron is willing to repair (not replace) the control unit IF I send it in to them, to be fair this a nice gesture seeing that the unit is out of warranty after sitting NIB on the shelf at my QTH for the last three years. Bottom line...MFJ has always lived up to their policy of repairing their poor quality control in-warranty products, but who in their right mind wants to be a continuous QC beta tester for them without being compensated? I personally have experienced 85% of their equipment to be bad out of the box. See some of my Cushcraft R8 reviews where two new antennas were bad out of the box, two MFJ-1124 DC power strips both bad out of the box (which I repaired myself) and some other NIB MFJ stuff. Back to this RCS-8V controller, I'm undecided whether I'll send it in or just repair it myself, either way, it takes time and time is money and so I remain gun-shy on purchasing any more equipment from under the roof of MFJ.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2016 08:18 Send this review to a friend
20 years and still working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in 1996 and it still performs great. Only maintenace I have done in these 20 years is open it and use some detox to clean inside. I set mine up when off to short to ground.

KX2S Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2016 04:33 Send this review to a friend
Ten Years and Still Working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not sure what went wrong with the previous post.
I have had mine on the tower for over 10 years.
Never had one problem with it. Feeds a 15 Meter and a 20 Meter monobander.
Also feeds my inverted vee plus 10 meter rotatable dipole.
Allows me to run one coax from the shack to the tower plus the 6 wire control line.
Just select my antenna and i'm off and running. Handles a KW all day long and into the evening!

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have two of these at our club. One was bought used and one new. Never had a problem. They both see high-power RTTY contesting duty (@1200 watts) regularly. Can't say anything bad about them.

K1ZJH Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2016 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Works as intended..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the version with the N connectors from DX Engineering. When it arrived I did an inspection, and found one relay had it's armature knocked from the frame. Easy fix, and a common problem due to rough handling in transit. I also questioned the contact spacing on one of two poles on one of the internal relays in the remote antenna switch box... a call to the factory resulted in them building a new box, and they shipped it to me with a return label for the questionable unit.

I have this unit at my tower, which is 80 feet from my home. I have two runs of buried hardline and conduit that goes between the shop and tower location. The RCS-8 selects my HF Log Periodic, R7, a 40/30 meter dipole, and a combined inverted L and 80 meter vertical wire for 160/80 meters. I usually chase DX, and run about 1000 watts to the antennas. There have been no failures thus far, except the initial problems noted when the items were received. I did find one bad solder joint in the control box, which affected one of the LED indicators.

Some hams have complained about the poor isolation between antenna ports, but this has not been a problem for my needs. I probably should rate this a 4 due to the issues I had, but in fairness the rapid and courteous response from the MFJ folks was refreshing.

All in all, it does what it should... nothing fancy, but it works. I'd buy another one. As info, this replaced a vintage Transco military indexing antenna relay unit, which self destructed after 10 years of use--I suspect I exceeded its power ratings!

N6KP Rating: 1/5 Mar 26, 2015 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Control head failed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased new from AES. Relay box works fine but control head LED's only one lights. Thought it was the old rotor cable I was using so purchased new 6 wire cable. Still no lights when I switch. Called Ameritron said send it back. I elected to dump it and went to DX Engineering. Can't imagine how so simple a devise does not indicate which relay is on.

K9EID Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 4 of the RCS-8V Remote Switches here in the new station. Use two of them to switch the 75 meter and 40 meter phased arrays. These are mounted in a Rubber Maid PVC waterproof container along with the delay lines mounted at the base of two 55' telephone poles which are 500' from the shack. Two more select the various transceivers and transmitters that reside here in the console. Operation the past 18 months has been flawless and work extremely well. No problem here in the Ozarks !

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 11:22 Send this review to a friend
So far great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it over a year ground mounted about 2'. My environment is humid as I'm very close to the big lake north of Detroit. Carefully sealed the coaxial connectors against water/humidity. I've had no issues except one, the antenna port LED indicators keep burning out. I haven't pulled the control box apart yet as I suspect the voltage drop resistor at fault. One of the dipoles developed an issue with SWR. Thought it was the relay but after swapping antenna ports nothing changed. Bad connection at the balun. I very recently pulled the relay cover off for a close inspection. No issues noted at the contacts or anything for that matter.

KN8N Rating: 0/5 Aug 2, 2013 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this unit from AES in May of this year. After receipt of the unit, it took me a week before I had time to install (replacing my old Heathkit remote switch that lasted 30+ years but won't handle 1500 watts). Port 1 was dead on installation. I called AES, sent it back at my expense and they sent me a new one. I installed that immediately and all ports worked! Now it's August 1 and ports 1 and 4 are dead on this one. What a piece of junk. This is my first and last purchase from MFJ/Ameritron. I'm calling DX-Engineering today and ordering what they have.