Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Ameritron RCS-8V Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron RCS-8V
Ameritron RCS-8V Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $145
Description: Remote coax switch

You can write your own review of the Ameritron RCS-8V.

WH7DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2012 11:31 Send this review to a friend
RCS-8V(L) Lightning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently installed the RCS-8VL Model with Lightning protection. Came to about $200 with shipping to Hawaii.

I grounded the unit and installed a Hex Beam and 3 Dipoles. Have one connection open for future antenna... put a cap over that to protect the connector. Put a small plastic storage container over the whole thing for added protection around the top. Left the top the way it was - as they ask (don't try to seal it).

The connections and SWR is solid. No change. I was able to reduce 3 coax cables from coming into the shack and have those antenna's outside away from my QTH. Easier to remove one Coax in case of lightning. Easy to switch and looks cool.

Bryan WH7DX
N6DC Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2012 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Good, but needs supplemental work.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
On a scale of 0-5, I rate it a 4" overall. Breaking this down further, I give it a 5" for performance, but only a 3" for its robustness in an outdoor environment. With appropriate enhancements, however, I up the overall rating to a 5".

For a more detailed review and a description of the recommended enhancements, see the paper on my website at:

Alex, N6DC
K6YE Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 05:42 Send this review to a friend
SO FAR SO GOOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one in operation for seven years. I ground mounted my unit in case any problems arose but so far none have come my way. I feed a 40 meter yagi, a 20 thru 10 meter yagi, and a sloper at 1500 watts.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
KA8OCN Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 00:01 Send this review to a friend
Second Hand, GREAT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased mine on eBay and I just love it. I use it for wire and vertical HF antennas. I put mine under my roof of my deck (totally out of the water) and hope this will keep it working for years to come.
W9BBB Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2012 17:14 Send this review to a friend
decent switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had more than three years with no problems,

With unit outdoor all the time here in Chicago.

Been thru of lot of weather & still ok
AA7UY Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Good gear.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had RCS-8V for 9 years w/o problem. Max power 500W. A month ago one relay started acting up, then another. Burnished and sprayed all contacts with CRC contact cleaner. Now works fine, great improvement all around. Should clean every couple of years. Be careful when handling those relay contacts, they move sideways easily.
W2TB Rating: 3/5 Apr 16, 2011 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Needs more attention to detail...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it up on the tower for 3 years and the middle position #3 stopped working. No RF getting through. Now it's 1 1/2 years later and the #4 position is intermittent. I guess the relays are cheap? The steel fasteners and mounting hardware are rusting pretty bad. It's coming down soon and I'm putting up the Dx Eng. switch.
The most power I put through it is about 1200 watts.
ZL1CDP Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2010 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Very nice.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not long purchased the RCS-8V and am really impressed with it's performance.

A lot of rain here in ZL in winter, but this is coping really well and works as advertised. - Very pleased.
W5TFW Rating: 0/5 Nov 20, 2009 16:23 Send this review to a friend
P.O.S.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cheap P.O.S. worked for 3 days,.......

NEVER again!
N2DY Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2009 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Alive and kicking after 20 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these up for about 20 years now. It has worked flawlessly the entire time. I use it on HF with a 1 KW amp and I feed a variety of antennas for the different bands. Mine was made by Ameritron before it was acquired by MFJ and so I am not sure if the current version is any different.