Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Ameritron RCS-8V Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron RCS-8V
Ameritron RCS-8V Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $145
Description: Remote coax switch
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=RCS-8V

You can write your own review of the Ameritron RCS-8V.

AA7UY Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Good gear.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had RCS-8V for 9 years w/o problem. Max power 500W. A month ago one relay started acting up, then another. Burnished and sprayed all contacts with CRC contact cleaner. Now works fine, great improvement all around. Should clean every couple of years. Be careful when handling those relay contacts, they move sideways easily.

W2TB Rating: 3/5 Apr 16, 2011 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Needs more attention to detail...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it up on the tower for 3 years and the middle position #3 stopped working. No RF getting through. Now it's 1 1/2 years later and the #4 position is intermittent. I guess the relays are cheap? The steel fasteners and mounting hardware are rusting pretty bad. It's coming down soon and I'm putting up the Dx Eng. switch.
The most power I put through it is about 1200 watts.

ZL1CDP Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2010 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Very nice.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not long purchased the RCS-8V and am really impressed with it's performance.

A lot of rain here in ZL in winter, but this is coping really well and works as advertised. - Very pleased.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2010 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Still kickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned this unit since 1996 at 2 Qth's and it still keeps on working, everything is original.

W5TFW Rating: 0/5 Nov 20, 2009 16:23 Send this review to a friend
P.O.S.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cheap P.O.S. worked for 3 days,.......

NEVER again!

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2009 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Alive and kicking after 20 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these up for about 20 years now. It has worked flawlessly the entire time. I use it on HF with a 1 KW amp and I feed a variety of antennas for the different bands. Mine was made by Ameritron before it was acquired by MFJ and so I am not sure if the current version is any different.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2009 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice gizmo!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these 13years ago, mounted on a 90ft hazer-less tower. It worked flawlessly for years. I sold it, but wish I hadn't. Now, I need another one. You can bet it will be the RCS-8V.

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2009 08:54 Send this review to a friend
A Great Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased and installed the Ameritron RCS-8V Remote switch. I will give provide another review after I use some time in place but wanted to provide my initial impressions. First, I was surprised at the quality of construction. I was quite impressed with both units. To make the control connection you will need to use at least a six-pair wire from the switch to the control unit in the shack. I suggest RG-45. You will need to remove four screws to connect the wires inside the switch. When I removed the plate I was really impressed with the workmanship and the quality of relays used. The solder connections were done very nicely. You need to decide at this time whether or not you want the unused antenna ports be isolated or shorted to ground until you switch to that one. The default is isolation, which is where I left mine. They also provide good strain relief on the PC board for your connection and at the remote switch. The connections are simple with regular screws and you are done. Wiring the remote head is again a simple connection of six wires. The only mod I would suggest is to use female RG-45 terminations at the switch and at the control head. You are then able to merely connect the appropriate length of RG-45 quickly. It is also very easy to disconnect the two units if you ever need to in the future. Appears to be a great buy for the money!

N2QQF Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2009 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this switch a few months ago and decided to give it a review. I love having one coax running into the shack as opposed to five (5) different coax cables. The switch has been exposed to certain in climate weather already such as snow storms, ice storms and of course rain. The switch has not failed me once either at 100 watts or legal limit. I have not had any issues with the switch as others have complained but the failures could be because of how the switch was set up. If you have lots of power going out but not resonating anywhere it is bound to dissipate heat and that heat needs to be transferred somewhere and if you have a poor grounding system it all leads up to faulty ports.

This is not the case for everyone as I am sure there are bad products leaving the production line every once in a while but so far I have not had any of these issues. Every product has failures it is what the company does to support their product once the failure occurs. I have the switch mounted on the tower and feed to the same isolated grounding system which consist of multiple 8' ground rods ran 10' apart all tied into the same buss bar mounted on the tower but isolated. The antenna switch works great and consistently performs. There are no delays between switching from ports and there is plenty of isolation between ports. I would assume there is about 70db of isolation between ports. The nearest port usually has the least isolation from the last port in these designs but none the less it has not been an issue at all even under a QRO environment.

This switch works great and for the money it is well worth it. You can go with the better switches but you will be spending $400-$500 which could be a drop in the bucket depending on your setup but I guess you have to determine that one for yourselves.

N7ZM Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2008 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Good old unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my unit since the mid 90's.Works great and has never failed me. I live in snow country so there's a lot of weather beating. As far as quality goes, the old units are good, but can't give any recommendations on the newer units built today.
73 Ron N7ZM