Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Yacht Boy 300 PE Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Yacht Boy 300 PE
Grundig Yacht Boy 300 PE Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $$99.95 US
Description: AM/FM/SW Digital PLL receiver
More info: http://www.grundigradio.net

You can write your own review of the Grundig Yacht Boy 300 PE.

N5LXI Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2010 02:52 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They are closing these models out - so you might come upon a deal! I got a floor demo at Fry's for under $10 (no manual or anything else). Can't go too wrong for that!

All the reviews here are accurate on this radio. It's compact, has a good user interface and is pretty well made for Chi-Com crap these days. It's sensitive and works fine on SW broadcasts. I mostly use it for local AM and FM broadcast stations, and it's fine there as well. It does only have 6 memories per band. It runs on three AA cells. It receives FM in stereo with external cans.

It does sound somewhat "bright". It's ok for a small radio. I will probably use it as my travel radio / alarm clock.

TERRYW Rating: 0/5 Oct 2, 2009 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Worst radio in my collection  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this free with a Universal Radio purchase, and it isn't even worth that.

Cons:

Nasty shrill sound rips your eardrums
No tuning knob
5 kHz tuning steps
Only one filter width
No SSB
Goofy frequency entry only allows freqs in whatever band it's in (this is a SW1, SW2 kind of radio)
Dim backlight does not stay illuminated
Cheap feel

Pros:

None that I could find. I like the little wire external that came with it and use it on my G6

I'm glad others had good luck with the 300PE, but I was stunned by how terrible it is. Unacceptably poor compared with the G5 and S350. Even the G6 beats it. The 400PE is a vastly better radio as well. I recommend any of those instead.

N8PGV Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2009 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really love this little radio. It replaced a Realistic DX-375. FM, AM and SW are all very sensitive. Mine is very stable. I use it to listen to SW broadcasts I keep in memory. I use an external antenna and have experienced no problems. I would give it a 4 for the lack of SSB, switchable filters and coverage.. BUT I knew the abilities of the radio when I bought it and it does everything I bought it to do and does it very well! I use the radio to keep up on my French and Spanish and the audio is very clear with the speaker or headphones. The battery life is good. I don't have ANY complaints! I give it a five, because I wouldn't change it.

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2009 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think I payed like 39 for mine at an office store closeout. Pretty sensetive with the built in whip. Have not tried with a long antenna to see if it overloads etc. FM sounds good. Previous poster said he had problems in urban areas but did not say if he turned on the "local" or "DX" FM switch to alleviate it. Not something that you use for serious DXing but does fine for lazy people who like digital readout and want to just tune in some of the stronger SWBC stuff. And it will pull in the 40M AM hams pretty good with the whip. AM seems to be sensetive enough-gets alot of stuff at night with the no guess tuning. Would be nice to have alot more memory channels. I keep the clock in it on UTC for SW use. I guess it is just perfectly fine, for the money. Beats the heck out of an old low tube count SW set you had to use in the 40's thru 60's! But sorry no BFO or fine tuning. 5 KHz steps on SW. Standard for SWBC.

MRMONITOR Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2004 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Wow! Great for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
O.K. I got this radio at Radio Shack on clearance(08-04). It was $60 so I had to buy it...

For my $60 I got-
The radio
AC Adapter
External FM/SW Antenna
Stereo Earphones (Earbud Style)
Alkaline Batteries
Soft Case
Manuals + Warranty

My first impression was very positive. It has good (but not great)AM reception, Very good FM reception and does very well on SW for what it is. Shortwave is split into 2 bands- SW1 at 2.3-7.3 MHz and SW2 at 9.5-26.1 MHz. I found the external antenna to be of marginal use in urban areas (mainly for getting out of a building, hanging it out a window works good), but out of the city it makes a big difference. Rural reception with this thing is great. The receiver is digital so you can't listen as you surf, but there's not the drift present in analog units... So it's a coke vs. pepsi thing. There are 24 presets (6 for each band) and a 'meter' button which hops SW band by band. The clock and alarm work great, as does the sleep timer. This thing has basically become my alarm clock at home and on the road. There is also a 'lock' button which locks the radio controls. (This even works with the radio off, which keeps the thing from turning on in your suitcase and draining the batteries.)

Pros- Portable, easy to use, great travel radio, Very good reception and selectivity in general (great for the price), totally feature/accessory packed and geared to the traveller.

Cons- Around strong FM signals in urban areas, there was some howling. It's a bit sensitive on FM. If you listen to close strong signals mostly, this might not be the radio for you. It's also not an AM DX'ing radio, mainly due to the lack of an external AM antenna jack. My major gripe though is not a problem, it is a wish list item- I wish there was an internal charging circuit for NiMH batteries in this radio. But perhaps I'm just too lazy to remove the batteries for charging. It does get good battery performance for a digital receiver.

In the end, I really like this radio. I don't know if I'd pay the $99 retail price. But for $60 it's a steal. If you find one at a Radio Shack it is well worth picking up. (They are still around as of 09-04.) The main things it lacks vs. the YB-400 or the Sangean 404 is SSB and continuous SW coverage. But as it was $90 cheaper, who could complain?