Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | Vectronics HFT 1500 Help

Reviews Summary for Vectronics HFT 1500
Vectronics HFT 1500 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $459.95
Description: Roller inductor Tuner with peak-pwr bargraph

You can write your own review of the Vectronics HFT 1500.

N7SOC Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2018 19:09 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
So, I had been thinking about a roller tuner for sometime and when I stumbled across an ad for this tuner with the led peak meter...Wow, another flashing light...I have to have it!! I've had it for several months and must say I do really like it. A BIG unit, Big knobs, smooth roller operation with a large nylon crank, solid contact on the antenna switch. Faster tuning than with my old MFJ 949E and more accurate. I am only running about 250 watts due to antenna limitations and do not expect to have arcing problems.. it appears my unit was made a little over 2 years ago and I had my first experience with MFJ construction quality, probably to surmised "special needs" employees?? MFJ was quick to provide a new led board and with correct wiring everything was back operating normally. So with this caveat, my rating applies to the actual unit in my operations and not to MFJ or its quality control concerns. I expect to be enjoying this unit for a long time.
W5GNB Rating: 3/5 May 10, 2016 19:22 Send this review to a friend
OK for QRP.....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The unit is Lightweight in construction and I would be afraid to put a true KILLOWATT of power into it. I have put 800 watts on it after carefully lowering the SWR with about a hundred watts prior to cranking up.
If you are looking for a TRUE Killowatt or Fifteen Hundred Watt tuner, you better continue shopping around, this one is a bit ~~ SCAREY ~~~

W5VK Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2013 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think my tuner must be an "old" one. Works great! Used with different amps up to 1000 watts. Used with different antennas. Never a problem. Guess I got a good one.
N1CKX Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2011 15:14 Send this review to a friend
SURPRISE - It works on 6 Meters  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Discovered that when we put up my stack of antennas, one of us evidently knocked the Gamma match out of alignment on the 6 meter beam and left me with a 1.5/1 SWR, not a lot, but my amp was not happy.

Only way to access it is it bring back the 90 foot man lift.

With delivery/pickup charges a day would cost me $1000.00

Had a Vectronics HFT-1500 tuner that I picked up at an estate sale practically new for $40.00.

Figured I would gut it and make a 6 meter tuner.

Put it on the bench to see how much I had to modify it, and to my surprise it actually tuned up to 6 meters.

I have no idea if it will tune a really complex impedance, but I only needed a little range for my beam.

Another Surprise, the Peak Reading Bar Graph meter seemed like a Gimmick, but actually comes in handy when tuning the amp.

Even the SWR bridge seems to work acceptably on 6.

The roller inductor tunes cleanly/smoothly and the 6:1 capacitor drives allow fine tuning.

I havenít used it on HF so I canít comment on all the horror stories of arcing on 80 meters.
SM3LGO Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2011 05:54 Send this review to a friend
OK+ tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works OK+ for me for 10+ years. I do have reasonably low SWR already from my bare antennas so have seldom needed "stressed" it, except on 80. There, I have had tendency for arcing at about 500W, but nothing significant / no damage done. Like many others have reported the mechanics is not exactly "overdesigned", and the roller inductor coupling has lost its contact on occasion. If the rating scale had been finer, I'd give it a "3.75".
KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 18:35 Send this review to a friend
FINE HIGH POWER TUNER!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Maybe mine is pre-MFJ, but it tunes smoothly and accurately, easy top reset for the best settings for the Ameritron AL-811 amp. I replaced the old incandescent lamp with the new MFJ LED replacement ($6 shipped) and it really looks great with the other gear. I guess the simple review would be -- matches the Zero-Five 43 foot vertical quickly and easily on all bands, even 160, which is darned hard to match with most tuners, automatic or manual ! Love this tuner!!
KL7IVK Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2009 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Vectronics HFT-1500 back in the 1990's when the company that made it was still in Canada before selling it out to More Flipping Junk (MFJ) I am not sure how the unit MFJ cranks out works but I swear by the one I have. It is a beautiful tuner and worth having. I would lkike to think that MFJ did not cheapen it up in anyway but who knows.
KW4N Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2009 11:57 Send this review to a friend
You don't need a "tank."  Time owned: more than 12 months
Silky smooth adjustments. Highly repeatable settings. Can tune my Zepp, G5RV, loops, end fed, vertical, etc. Power meter matches my Bird 43. Workmanship excellent: all screws tight, clean shiny solder joints, solid cabinet. High quality L and C's. The roller needs cleaning (I use Deoxit) maybe once or twice a year or it will jump settings; they all do it.
"It's vain to do with more that can be done with less"
N7ZM Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2009 12:41 Send this review to a friend
OK but not the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Vectronics is slightly better than ok, but after all it's made by MFJ now. Had one for a few weeks then got rid of it when I heard arcing. I now have a Palstar AT1500DT tuner with quality parts and workmanship and it'll take all my Alpha can give it without arcing or any other grunts.
KA6OTJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2009 11:47 Send this review to a friend
has worked great for me over the years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for over 5 years and it has done very well for me. It has never arked or given me any problems. It tunes my doublet and Marconi antennas from 10 to 160 using about 600 watts. The tuning caps are smooth. The roller inductor is fine. The antenna selector switch allows for great flexibity. Is it in the same class as a Pal Star or my Dentron MT300A? I can't say. I will say it does everything my Dentron did and if you find one of these used like I did and can get it for a good price it is worth a shot.