Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Heathkit HS-1661 speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HS-1661 speaker
Heathkit HS-1661 speaker Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Excellent
More info: http://www.virhistory.com/ham/spkrs/hs1661.jpg

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HS-1661 speaker.

K4JPN Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2015 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker for the price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this speaker with my HW-101 since 1976 and then when I upgraded to the K2 in 2000 I have continued to use it. It is easily driven with a few watts, and has excellent response. I have tried a Motorola mobile speaker (find at any hamfest), but still go back to this speaker.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2015 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Far Superior to Internal Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I do not get the 'nothing special' review below as this speaker sounds great.

Voices from the speaker are crystal clear without any long term fatigue. The high frequencies are not imposing and the low frequencies on the 75 meter band summer static are well controlled. I can hear very weak signals with this HS-1661 vs my transceivers internal speaker that completely masks the signal.

The HS-1661 is a true communications speaker with a response from about 200Hz to 6kHz. Perhaps my tube type transceiver with excellent audio responds better vs a newer SS radio from the other review.

If you can find one, buy it.

VR2XMQ Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2008 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Average  Time owned: more than 12 months
Average sound, nothing to rave about or write home about.

Steve, VR2XMQ

N4LQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2004 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hook this little speaker to your rig and you're in for a big treat. It is very efficient thus very loud even with the peanut whistle amplifiers found in most transceivers. This is one of the best I've seen and I've tried many speakers. If you have been using a modern bookshelf type speaker and replace it with the 1661, you better turn down the volume first. I've seen plenty of these on Ebay and at hamfest. Give one a try. You will be impressed.