Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | TenTec 307G Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for TenTec 307G Speaker
TenTec 307G Speaker Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $98.00
Description: Matching external speaker for the Omni VI etc.
More info: http://www.tentec.com/HFaccyStore.htm

You can write your own review of the TenTec 307G Speaker.

KZ5I Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2005 04:00 Send this review to a friend
SOUNDS GOOD WITH OMNI VI  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
II'd like to place an addendum to an earlier poor review I gave this speaker.

When paired with a Corsair II the speakers performance is fair to marginal. However I recently rediscoverd the speaker using it alongside my Omni VI Opt/1 and it really sounds good paired with the Omni VI.

I guess it all depends on the radio you pair a speaker with.

For use with the Omni VI I will give the speaker a 4.

KZ5I Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2005 21:54 Send this review to a friend
DULL SOUND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Ten Tec 307G speaker and I was dissapointed.

PROS:
* Good construction
* Good appearance
* Matches my Corsair II styling

CONS:
* Poor sound - Sounds Hollow and tinny

It's an OK speaker but I wouldn't buy another one.

W3ULS Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2004 21:37 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the 307G to match my OMNI VI transceiver. I was surprised to find out that not only does it match the OMNI, it's the best speaker in the shack (I own an ICOM SP-20 and the very large--for a ham shack--SoundSweet).

The T-T 307 rolls off highs and lows just about perfectly, and has a very clear communications quality to its sound on both CW and SSB. The SP-20 has more doodads--switchable inputs, an audio output, headphone plug, and four filter switches--that make it very versatile and it also sounds excellent. Still, I give the nod to the Ten-Tec, which does what needs to be done very well without switching filters in and out.

The SoundSweet I find is very good for SWLing, but I do not like it for QSOs.

(By the way, the illustration for this set of reviews shows a black 307, which is sold for the Orion and Argonaut, I believe.)

W2RBA Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2004 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Good Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, just shows to go ya, you can't please all the people all the time. I first bought my 307J (slightly different color, the mechanicals are the same) when I had my Jupiter; since I've upgraded to an Orion, I just decided to keep the speaker. Now, I don't have a lengthy history of trying speakers nor have I had that many matching speakers, but the 307 was just fine -- produced plenty of volume from both the Jupiter and Orion and made the Jupiter sound just great. The speaker in the Orion strikes me as being a cut above the average speaker-in-a-rig, thus the 307 had competition, but it met the challenge. I like it (as I would any front-firing speaker) because I don't usually operate from with my rig on its side. (No, really!) I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone who cares to try it.

N4LQ Rating: 3/5 Sep 7, 2004 15:30 Send this review to a friend
All looks  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the matching external speaker for the TenTec line of gray rigs such as the Omni V, Vi, Paragon etc. Construction quality is very good and it makes a nice looking match for their rigs. Sound quality is somewhat better than the internal speaker in their rigs but that isn't saying much. Basically it's just a 4" est. speaker in a metal enclosure. Sound quality was poor when compared with my Heathkit HS-1661 and other speakers on hand. I would recommend buying an older speaker with an open backed cabinet such as the Drake, Hallicrafters, National or Heath series and painting it to match. I did run a DB test comparing it with the MFJ-281 ClearTone at 700hz. The ClearTone was about 10db louder on my digital DB meter. The HS-1661 is even louder than the ClearTone however although I haven't measure it. Of course louder is not always better but when it comes to driving a speaker with a 2 watt amplifier, there seems to be much less distortion and better clarity with higher efficiency speakers. The 307 requires more power than it should and sounds dull. Perhaps some well placed holes in the cabinet would help? Buy this for looks and not sound.