Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | Yaesu FC-40 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FC-40
Yaesu FC-40 Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $400.00
Description: The FC-40 is a microprocessor-controlled antenna
impedance matching network designed to provide
all-amateur-band transmitting capability with the
FT-897/857 Series of transceivers, when used with
an end-fed random wire or long whip antenna.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FC-40.

WD0BCT Rating: 2/5 Dec 28, 2017 13:13 Send this review to a friend
All bands but not on the same wire!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After playing with random wire lengths in order to tune 10/15/20/40/80M I gave up on finding one wire length to tune multiple bands. I called Yaesu...they said yes that is typical! After using it on 40/20M for a while the tune function is getting unreliable. On 20M I find myself having to tune 2 or 3 times before the SWR is acceptable.
The combination of limited bands and unreliability is forcing me back to my 40/20M inverted vee dipole. If I'm going to be limited to 2 bands I might as well do it without a tuner.
W5GNB Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2015 06:50 Send this review to a friend
OK Tuner....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I would suggest using a homebrew balun as suggested by VE3PMV to begin with . The 15-foot cable is very restrictive as to what you would need to do with a remote tuner so I built a 100-foot cable from SHIELDED Cat-6 cable, added the proper connectors, and all works GREAT (Yeasu says it WON'T work but it does...Go Figure)....
I use the tuner with an off center fed 80M Windom, an FT-897 and an FT-817. All works great after dealing with the quirky little tricks needed to feed single wire antennas.....KEEP YOUR GROUND CONNECTIONS VERY SHORT !!!
NC7U Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2015 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Works With a 4:1 Unun  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The ATU will work with a multi-band OCFD if used with the antenna supplied balun (MFJ). However I purchased the FC-40 for all band including WARC. My success (160 to 30 MHz) was possible using a 72' long wire fed with a 4:1 unun from Balun Design (model 4130) keep the leads from the tuner antenna side as short as possible going to the unun and use a ground.
NI4S Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Mounted at antenna base  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much research and the fact I was going to purchase a FT-4540D, I bought the FC-40 tuner. After receiving it I needed about a 100 foot control cable in order to mount the tuner at the base of my 30'aluminum "stealth due to HOA" flagpole. Absolutely no help in wire recommendations or purchases from Yaesu! I bought a 100' cat 6 cable and put mini din connectors on each end. Now I was ready to mount the tuner. I had purchased 100' LMR 400 cable with SO-259s on each end, the connector would not tighten on the FC-40 connector. Again Yaesu would not even admit it was a bastard sized connector so I changed the cable to one with a standard SO-239. Finally mounted it and contrary to Yaesu's telling me it wouldn't work, it works perfectly! Shame on Yaesu for the poor support of their product!
VE3PMV Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
not bad if can get it to work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read all the reviews here and found some good ideas from years ago, the tuner worked great on 10 feet of speaker wire on my deck, but when i hooked it up to 180 feet inverted L a lot of the bands didnt work, i was going to buy a balum mentioned on here but its over $ 100,and why transform back to coax...also i cant see spending that kind of money in addition to what I paid already, to make a long story short, i made my own balum, it works great and if you want to see the video go here
or just go here if that dosent work PS I just made contact 4000 miles away to Norway 5 9 after installing my balum
W9WQA Rating: 1/5 Mar 15, 2014 16:55 Send this review to a friend
erratic operation till I figured it out  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, it will not meet the advertised specs. i had to really work on fussy wire lengths and grounding at my base.the control cable requires special attention and sheilding. finally i must connect an external cap on some bands to use one wire on all bands. it still may not remember freqs from one day to the next when i turn on and key with out pushing tune. if you expect it to work on all bands as advertized, be ready to find your own solution. it took me months of experimenting and a trip back to yaesu just to verify that it was ok . they cannot test it with a long wire at the California depot.

the sg230 is the best i have used and the icom ah4 beats the fc4o.
they all get fussy and even the very good sg230 takes a looong time to tune the sg303 on my mobile and it will not tune all bands as advertized. but it is the best!
VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow, this works real well with my Yaesu FT-857D mobile. Using a 102" Stainless Steel Whip for antenna and it loads it up real nice from 6M to 40M.
VK4KKD Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 18:00 Send this review to a friend
4 years on  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now four years on and I still rate this tuner as GREAT!
The FC-40 has now been to most of the Australian outback with me and has been used on several different antenna types. It has functioned flawlessly through a great range of temperatures from freezing to stinking hot! Of course it has been used on various mobile antenna and it works very well with a 9m length of hard drawn copper wire to which I have soldered a terminal eye so it can be used on the mobile whip mount when I remove the whip for stationary work. Throwing a sinker with a line over a high branch then pulling the wire up has enabled the FT897 to fully utilise the bands. It has now been passed on to my daughter to use for a home base tuner with a multi band trapped dipole. (the FT897 was her rig and I was allowed to borrow it). We now mainly use 40m and even with her low power work we are still able to maintain contact in all of the remote bush locations where I camp for gold and gem fossicking. Well done Yaesu, it is a very useful piece of kit.
ZS1SA Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2012 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Persistance Pays  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased one of these units for my FT-857D just over half a year ago. The FT-857D is my portable rig that I take on my holiday trips. Like many of the reports on this page I was having success tuning some bands, but other bands were just impossible to get a match on. I stumbled on an online article by VE3EED. This chap worked out what wire lengths would not be a half or multiple of half wavelength on any of our H.F. frequencies. Well it sounded good and I wasted a lot of time cutting wires to his exact lengths without success. His calculations do not take into account the variables such as antenna height, distance from buildings etc etc, which affect the antenna, but they are close. You can Google his article and I found that being persistent and experimenting with lengths close to his suggestions will find you a good length on all bands. I have used manual tuners for many decades and this is my first autotuner. I think the FC-40 would be fine for a fixed station use as you would only have to find the magic length of your wire antenna once but for portable operation, I am going back to my bag of assorted single band dipoles.
KB5PRZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2012 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Versatile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After getting a Yaesu FT-897, I decided I wanted to play with wire antennas and use a remote tuner. I like how the FC-40 integrates with the FT-897, so I bought one used.

My first antenna was a 75' end fed long wire. The FC-40 would easily tune this wire on all bands except 80 and 160 meters. I loved how easy it was to play with the options, and the tuning was simple with the radio.

I then decided I wanted a loop sky wire and though the FC-40 could be coaxed into tuning it. It sure does! And it tunes every band from 160 to 6 meters--and the wire is 270' looped around my home lot. No baluns or windings needed--just the FT-897, some coax, the FC-40, and your wire. You can stick a whip on it, too.

This tuner's integration with the 897 was a big seller for me. I have not been disappointed.