Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter Help

Reviews Summary for Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter
Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $151, Model 73; $199, Model 77
Description: Rough handling and high voltage are tough on a meter. But the Fluke 73 and 77 Series III DMMs take it all in stride.

They're built tough inside and out. With overvoltage protection to guard against spikes up to 6 kV, and safety ratings to prove it. They even protect against measuring voltage if the knob is accidentally set on ohms. Plus, their rugged, overmolded body armor case offers constant protection no matter how much you throw them around.

As tough as they are, the 73/77 Series III DMMs are very easy on you. The tapered design fits more easily in your hand, pocket, and tool box. The high-contrast displays are 20% larger, with extra large characters that are easy to read from a distance. Plus, there's easier access to Fluke's patented TouchHold® mode which automatically captures the measurement, beeps, and locks it on the digital display for later viewing. There are two models to choose from. And of course, they're backed by a lifetime warranty.
More info: http://www.fluke.com/products/home.asp?SID=9&AGID=6&PID=32582

You can write your own review of the Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter.

KC7YE Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2012 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Top product  Time owned: more than 12 months
When the 70 series meters were developed I was sr maintenance mechanic at John Fluke Mfg.in Everett WA. Helped build the robotic assembly line and was lead mechanic in plastics shop. We put our hart and soul into these DMM's. They were good out the chute 30 years ago and are still leading pack. We mechanics were given the first units off the line, still have mine and use it. KC7YE

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2012 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FLUKE meter years ago. MAC Tools used to carry FLUKE. The salesman came in one day (This is around 1983) trying to sell me this meter. He said it does this and it does that and bla bla bla. I said I already had a multi meter and why should I want to buy this one. He then whipped it across the shop where it bounced off of many cement surfaces. He went over and showed me the meter. “Look, it still works”, he said. I said I’ll take one. Not that one, but one. hihi.

I still use that same meter every day. Still works like the day I bought it. It has the advantages of a digital meter and the advantages of an analog meter, all in one.

Last year we raffled off a FLUKE meter with the industrial lead set at our hamfest, but I don’t think that many people appreciated what a good DVOM can do for you. The guy that won it fortunately does and he loves it.

If you want to buy the last DVOM that you will ever need, here it is.

DE WC3O

F4GFT Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2012 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Indestructible  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Fluke original first series 75 in 1983 or 1984, while I was still at school. It was a lot of money for me at the time; I still remember weighing the pros and cons of the three models: The 73 was the cheapest, but I wanted the holster which was only delivered with the 75/77, and I knew about the importance of being able to manually select a range, so I figured the 75, although expensive (for me at the time), would be the best compromise. The 77 had the touch hold function, but would have stressed my purse too much.

We are now in 2012, and my Fluke 75 has accompanied me through more than a quarter of a century and is still with me. In the first years, I used it in my small home lab, then later on, when I moved out, it spent years in the trunk of my car, used on numerous occasions when my old Ford broke down, often in rain or dirt. Much later on, it served during renovations of the different flats I rented, often covered in plaster and dust and sometimes covered with paint. Right now, I use it to install electricity in a recently acquired appartment, and again, and I just retrieved if from a pile of plaster. For all the services it has provided through all these years, I should treat it more gratefully. I can truly say that my Fluke 75 is the most reliable piece of hardware I ever bought (and my other measurement instruments are HP/Agilent and Hameg, not , and I am still amazed at how well it stood the test of time. A few years after I bought the unit, Fluke decided to provide a lifelong warrenty on their Series 70 multimeters. Considering the build quality, that's not a risky promise at all.

The 75 convinced me that John Fluke Mfg. is a company which values quality and craftmanship. I would buy another series 70 if mine died, but since I am certain that I'll die before, I gave them other business and will continue to do so. Mr. Fluke, thank you so much!

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Great DVM  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine a long time. Dropped, high voltage, got it wet, and it keeps on going. Cant kill it. Great DVM

AC5UP Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Reliable & Accurate  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased an original model 77 new in '79 or '80 and never regretted it. ($119.95 retail) Consistent reliability and accuracy plus it's a very fast meter to work with. The touch / hold feature is excellent. Still looks new despite many hours of use.

Aside from battery replacement the only issue I've had with mine was the elastomer jumpers between the PC board and LCD display. Apparently the contacts will deteriorate with time causing the display contrast to fade. Considering the meter was pushing 30 years old I do not consider this to be a design flaw. Disassembled, cleaned, and the LCD looks good again. Excellent build quality.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2009 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, I will admit my review is for a 79 but it is in the same series as the 73/77 and about identical. I bought mine new in box at Dayton years ago. Never regretted it. This 79 holds cal well too. I cal'd it with a Fluke calibrator last fall and it was still practically perfect after 5 years. Little tweek on the pots and it was dead nuts all across the ranges. I mean dead nuts on. Will never sell it although I have a bench 45 model too. Portability quality accuracy. Just put a quality industrial alkaline battery in it.

WL7AWC Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Great meter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine since the mid-90s and it's been 100% reliable and accurate. Used both at home and for 2-way field service. Also, it's never needed any adjustment when calibrated. I recommend 9V lithium batteries instead of alkaline; you'll save money in the long run.

W3KC Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Fine instruments  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've depended on my Fluke 76 and 77 meters for years and they have never let me down.

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2008 16:05 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine since 1986.

Used it last weekend.

Only had to replace the battery once.

Mike, VE4MM

W6KRU Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2008 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of the 77s for so long I don't remember when I got it. It has endured almost daily use forever and all it ever needs is a battery now and then, and a new set of leads every couple of years.