Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter Help

Reviews Summary for Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter
Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $151, Model 73; $199, Model 77
Description: Rough handling and high voltage are tough on a meter. But the Fluke 73 and 77 Series III DMMs take it all in stride.

They're built tough inside and out. With overvoltage protection to guard against spikes up to 6 kV, and safety ratings to prove it. They even protect against measuring voltage if the knob is accidentally set on ohms. Plus, their rugged, overmolded body armor case offers constant protection no matter how much you throw them around.

As tough as they are, the 73/77 Series III DMMs are very easy on you. The tapered design fits more easily in your hand, pocket, and tool box. The high-contrast displays are 20% larger, with extra large characters that are easy to read from a distance. Plus, there's easier access to Fluke's patented TouchHold® mode which automatically captures the measurement, beeps, and locks it on the digital display for later viewing. There are two models to choose from. And of course, they're backed by a lifetime warranty.
More info: http://www.fluke.com/products/home.asp?SID=9&AGID=6&PID=32582

You can write your own review of the Fluke 73 / 77 Series Digital Multimeter.

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2008 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my 77 for so long i forget when i bought it. Probably in the mid 80's. Its still working! Its been dropped, burned, the case is cracked a bit. Keeps on working. Excellent.

SSB Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Can't get better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Fluke 70 series meters for 25 years almost daily and they just don't break if care is taken. You don't drop them off a 20 story building and expect them to work. But they will take pretty much anything else.

One caveat: don't use cheap test leads. When the original leads wear out buy good Fluke replacements. I found out the hard way a few times how cheap test leads can lead to alot of grief.

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Horrors....It Broke!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After twenty-five years of faithful, problem-free service, my well-used Fluke Model 77 (Series 1, gray rubber case-surround bumper) failed this past week. Some cursory checking indicated the source of the problem: the original test leads had finally become intermittent. These were quickly replaced with new ones and the meter sprang back to life. It motors onward...as do I.

Of course, this service report is based on observations of just a single sample.....but one with a lot of data points. If only all electronics products gave this kind of service!

"Fluke....a lifetime investment!”

W6OWH Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2007 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Is it a Timex ... Well almost  Time owned: more than 12 months
They take a tough field use and keep working. I bought 15 of these 20 years ago for my Electronics students and replace them with newer ones as they were stolen from the shop. I bought 4 more over the years for personal use. Never once had a fault.
I once wrote Fluke about a cracked lens and they sent me a new front plate making it like new... Great service.
I know of no other meter of this quality at this price.
A classic.

N0CODENOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2007 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and Accurate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a 79III for six years. Misuse and abuse it daily at work. I work in field service and cheaper meters last me a year at the most. This meter still works well and stays accurate. What amazes me is the long life I got from the original set of leads. They were just recently replaced. Before owning this unit, it seems like leads that came with other meters would always go intermittent in a couple of months.
Flukes aren't cheap, but I think they are worth the $$.

KB8ASO Rating: 1/5 Mar 28, 2006 10:42 Send this review to a friend
OK for as long as they work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of the 73 meters and they both died. Just turned them on and they died. In both cases the logic chip went. No overloads spikes or such. Maybe a bad run? Both out of warranty. Own a model 99 scopemeter and love it. Also owned a 8060A.

Randy AB9GO

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2006 09:51 Send this review to a friend
PROFESSIONAL........PERIOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the original Fluke 77 DMM (gray rubber "bumper" rather than yellow surrounding the meter) for almost twenty years. Not once has it failed to perform. Not once has it given me reason to question its measurements. Nothing associated with the 77 has ever broken. Even the internal, replaceable 9 volt battery seems to last for years. I have no plans ever to replace it. That seems to fully encompass the adjective "professional."

For a time there was a rumor floating that a 73 could be converted into a functional 77 by the addition of a wire jumper on the main component PC board, across two plated holes that were installed during manufacture. Supposedly a single (stuffed) board could be used for all models in the series, and quickly adapted for the intended model during assembly. I never learned whether the assertion proved to be correct.....and it wouldn't have changed anything, as I already had the 77.

K4IDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2006 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Best meter on the market  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my Fluke for around 10 years now and have used it in many applications ranging from HVAC to testing my car battery. Never had a hiccup out of it and would highly recommend it. I also own a Greenlee and there's simply no comparison. I'm just amazed at the people I see using those Radio Shack meters...you're fooling around with electricity than WILL kill you and you're too cheap to invest in a good meter??? Go figure! Anyway, well worth the money.

N6YE Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2006 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Fluke 77 for about 15 years. Would have to check the receipt as to when I actually bought it. Never had a problem with the 77, and feel like it is built like a battleship. In the house, in the ham shack, rolling around under trucks T/S electrical problems, snow sleet and rainy weather IT NEVER LET ME DOWN. Replaced the leads a few times but thats it. A WELL DESIGNED PIECE OF EQUIPMENT!
Ken, N6YE

WB2DVU Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2004 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Fluke 77: a great DMM but check your serial number.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This IS a great meter.

IF, however, you've owned it for a while OR if you buy one used, check the serial number.

In the mid-90s, Fluke Technical Service issued a manufacturer's recall for certain models of Fluke digital multimeters, including the 73/77 Series II. These particular instruments may indicate zero when their input is greater than 400 Vdc in either voltage function AC or DC.

See http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll96/96e010.txt