Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Alinco DJ-X2 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-X2
Alinco DJ-X2 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: Credit card sized 700 channel scanner covers HF to 1 GHz.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJ-X2/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-X2.

KD5VTZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2007 20:28 Send this review to a friend
This is a small Marvel with a big punch !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First and foremost my personal expectations of the receiver may be entirely different from yours, but I think the qualities of this radio are worth mentioning. If you don’t already own a DJ-X2 have fun finding one. They are as rare as the Dodo bird and the ones that pop up on eBay are quickly snatched away. (I got mine on eBay, but not after outbidding close to 17 other bidders. Incredible! )

By now you might have already had a chance to read some pertinent reviews on the web, some from experts and others from amateurs/hobbyists like my self, but what do they really tell you? One person may give it a 3, and another a 5, but this is all based on personal preference.

Before I ever opted to buy this radio I already had an inclination towards miniature marvels of technology, and this radio is no exception.

I did NOT buy the radio in hopes of having the following qualities:
- Excellent Audio through a speaker that is as big as a dime
- HF receive, despite the fact that it is surpassing of anyone’s expectations
- MIL-STD design
- SSB? R u kidding me? (Get a real radio or a TH-F6A)
- Big Digital Display
- Big Buttons
- To find wireless bugs in my apartment (give me a break!!)

I did buy the radio because of the following qualities which I stoutly expected:
- Extremely small in size and very light
- Internal battery (much like a cell phone Li-ion) it can be replaced
- Long bat. Life, longer than all of the radios I own
- Descrambler really works and that’s no joke. (Tested on UHF)
- Internal “bar” antenna works great; strong signals on AM
- It was fairly intuitive on the button navigation (at least for me)
- ATT works great, especially on HF
- TV, FM, and AM signals all come in exceptionally well
- Makes a perfect bed time radio (quiet room)

The External Antenna Fiasco:

Please, what ever you do, do not use the little stock ear piece as an antenna. It just does not do the radio justice. I bought a 2.5 to 3.5 mm (male-female) conversion adapter at a local computer store and simply plugged in my regular earphones. The signal quality is immediately noticeable and far superior to my regular SMA antenna. This allows me to walk almost anywhere with the radio neatly tucked into my shirt pocket without any visible signs of the radio.
Ok, so this is a very short list of some pros and cons that haunt every radio, no matter how good it is. I give the radio a 5/5 because it provided me with all of the things which I initially anticipated and exceeded in those areas where my expectations were minimal.

WEEMAC2000 Rating: 3/5 Oct 8, 2004 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Tiny, but compromised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this scanner for a couple of years and it replaced a bigger Yupiteru handheld which i had stolen.
It is just the cutest thing!. literally credit card sized and about 1/2 in thick.
The internal lithium battery last for many hours on a charge, and doesnt lose charge , at all! I've never had to use the clip on external battery pack.
The keypad is membrane type and isnt the easiest to use. I find the menu structure and the display confusing, and the instruction book is not the easiest to digest. This little unit can certainly do more stuff than I've ever discovered!
On VHF andn UHF sensitivity is fine, or airband, it's definitely not as good as my old yupiteru. This might be simply down to the antenna. You can use the supplied earpiece as an antenna, but only the supplied one. sensitivity isnt as good as the rubber ducky but at an airshow for instance it works well enough. One problem I have found is that when listening with the earpiece the 'thump' as it scans in and out of signal is infuriating!. The onboard speaker isnt as good as you'd find in a bigger unit and the highest volume setting is still pretty quiet, but it's not too bad.
There have evidently been afew compromises made in the design of this unit in order to cram so many features into a tiny size, which makes it quite pricey for the performance, but overall I like it.

AI4DG Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2004 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Decent scanner, great size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my DJ-X2 for a bit over a year. It was a neat toy at first. It's small enough to take anywhere and can optionally use the earphone as an antenna. That makes it easy to always have a scanner with you. The option to clip on the 3 AA battery pack makes it easy to keep the scanner powered. The lithium-ion internal battery holds a charge for a long long time, so the scanner can sit for months and still be ready to use without having to stop and charge it.

Now I've settled into using the X2 mostly to listen to television audio (which it receives very well) and am/fm stations, while still having some basic scanning capabilities with me. It was great during the power outage after Hurricane Frances to listen to the tv audio directly on a good receiver. I often pull this scanner out at work to listen to breaking news on a tv station.

The small display and controls make it a little confusing to program and operate, but I can usually manage it without having to refer to the manual.

The drawbacks that keep me from giving it a 5 are the 3/32" mini headphone jack, the lack of alpha tags for memories, and the lack of more preset "service" banks.

The small headphone jack is somewhat understandable, but it looks like there is plenty of space to use the more popular 1/8" headphone jack. Alpha tags would mean a more expensive LCD display, but it adds a lot. The X2 has presets for all of the TV channel audio frequencies. A lot of scanners today have many more presets, like CB channels, NOAA weather, marine, railroad, etc. Those can save you a lot of memories and make a quick way to try scanning something new.