Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop
Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $60 new / 36 Used
Description: Ceramic hand microphone 575-M6
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop.

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2015 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sounds great on my Kenwood ts-850 with the tone control at zero position and running the proc on the ts-850 at 5db high boost off.

8 pin kenwood wiring for 575-M6

pin 1 white
pin 2 red
pin 7 shield
pin 8 blue

yellow and black wires not connected

If you get the chance buy one.

MM0HRL Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2015 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Best SSB mike I've used, bar none  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used two Astatic fist mikes - the Teardrop and the old Minuteman II. They both give truly excellent audio on SSB, formerly on CB rigs and now I'm using the T'drop on my ham rigs, a TS50 Kenwood and (through a patch lead) to my FT-857d. Yaesu appears unable to make a mike capable of giving its tiny mobile HF radio anything approaching halfway decent audio, although the MH59 improves the utterly hopeless MH31 they foist on you when you buy the radio.
I've assessed the TX audio on both rigs now via one of the SDR record online facilities and can safely report that the Astatic Teardrop can make my 857d sound almost - but not quite - as good as my Kenwood. Regardless of mike setting, similar with rig mike gain and processor level, the Astatic broadens the 857d's transmitted audio well enough for a couple of stations in QSO with me to say my 857d was the best one they'd heard so far.
Unfortunately the Teardrop is now a thing of the past and fetches silly money when appearing on auction sites - so I'll be holding onto mine.
I do agree with comments re build quality, or lack of same. Although the mike feels solid in your hand, the internals give some cause for concern. The PTT switch is a primitive affair that's prone to wear with age, giving switching errors designed to test your patience - and replacements are probably impossible to find these days. My Minuteman II had this issue, but also the switch mounting was only a couple of fragile plastic fingers moulded into the mike casing, which broke very easily. This one's not much better. The battery connector is indeed a thing of low quality, and the battery "compartment" is a folded piece of card. Talk about spoiling the ship for ha'penny worth of tar! Another issue is the casing screws - which happily strip out their threads in their location bosses. Even slightly overtighten these and you have to repair them.
Despite these definite shortcomings, the fact remains that this microphone sounds deep and smooth and rich and I've yet to find a rig that's not improved by plugging in a Teardrop to it.

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2015 08:53 Send this review to a friend
A must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
And i have it.
Works great on anything, especially on my TS-870.
If you look for a mobile mike with both the capability to set volume and tone you won't find a lot. These setting possibilities allow you to fit your mike to the radio you want to hook it up to.
A must have, which fits perfectly in one's hand, and care must be given because i am not sure of the durability of some of its inner parts (see one of the reviews downer, however, this mike does not in any way deserve a 3 for that reason alone). For me it's a 4.9 rating.
See the used prices and you'll understand it actually is a great piece of equipment.

ZL1PWR Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2015 00:39 Send this review to a friend
SWEET MIC   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use mine on my kenwood ts-830 ts-820 ts-520
great audio reports glad I picked this up
shame they are not made now

N2MJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2010 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mic. Not just for CB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running this mic on my Kenwood TS-50s, HR2600 and tried it on my Yaesu FT-897D and have been receiving nothing more than excellent audio reports. don't believe that this should be only for 11 meters, just keep the volume control low and let the mic do the work. if you see one for sale on fleabay thats in good shape grab it up. 73's

N3TU Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2010 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I get great audio reports with this mic. If you know where I can find another one, look me up on QRZ. It has a nice nice punch through the DX and sounds natural. My audio seems to shine with that mic.

M3SKF Rating: 3/5 Nov 23, 2009 10:17 Send this review to a friend
HMM ...WELL  Time owned: more than 12 months
IVE GOT A COUPLE OF THESE MIKES AND I DO AGREE THAT THE AUDIO IS PARTICULLY GOOD.I DO HAVE SERIOUS DOUBTS ABOUT THE INTERNAL BUILD QUALITY OF THESE MIKES,I HAVE USED THEM ON MANY HF TRANSCEIVERS ALL WITH GOOD RESULTS.THE EXTERNAL FABRICATION IS ONE OF STRONG AND STURDY CONSTRUCTION,SO WHY DIDN'T THEY PAY ATTENTION TO THE ELECTRICAL INTERNALS OF THIS GREAT MIKE?THE ELEMENT HANGS ALMOST FREE IN THE CASING AND THE BATTERY COVER IS MADE FROM A CHEAP PIECE OF CARDBOARD WITH THE WIRED TERMINAL POORLY SOLDERED TO THE BOARD.COMBINE THIS WITH THE POOR PTT SWITCHING MECHANISM AND VERY CHEAP BIRO SPRING AND ITS NOT LOOKING GOOD.WHAT A SHAME THAT ASTAIC END PRODUCTION OF THIS CULT CLASSIC MIKE WITH POOR QUALITY CONTROL AND TACKY INTERNAL CONSTRUCTION.

31DELTA90 Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best sounding mobile microphone. I'll give you $100 dollars if you can find me a better sounding mobile microphone.

DV1UBY Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2009 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Great (5/5)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this microphone from 4F3PR(Bong)last year (2008). Actually I have doubts in acquiring the old mic but the first time I used it I got 59+++ audio reports from both local and distant stations. My signal became intelligible and the sudden improvement of my SSB audio gives me joy and some sort of contentment. I don't know but that's what I felt when I used the mic. I learned that this good mic was discontinued and wandering why Astatic had stopped producing this good mic. I hope in the near future, Astatic may reproduce Astatic Model 575-M6 Teardrop Microphone once again. I am satisfied with the microphone and very happy with it.

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2009 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three, one each for my FT101ZD,FT102 and a TS520SE, great audio reports from all. Starting to command high second hand prices!
Why oh why did Astatic stop making these little gems???