Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop
Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $60 new / 36 Used
Description: Ceramic hand microphone 575-M6
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop.

M0GAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 11:31 Send this review to a friend
"A MUST HAVE"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these mics.One drives a ts 950sdx and the other an ic7400.The Astatic drives the radios well and the reports are always good or excellent.i have used the likes of Heil goldline and Sure, etc. but the Astatic really does the job and very well.Get one if you can! you certainly will not be disappointed.
G4HAK Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2006 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first heard one of these being used on a TS-830S and sounded superb! I now use one on my TS-530 and get great reports - Natural full sound on SSB. Real solid build as well! Really brings out the flavour of Kenwood audio!
OE504-627 Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2005 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Who needs a Heil Microphone....??  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using this handheld microphone since a few months now on a FT-1000MP. Always get great audio reports,it really "drives" the radios "COMP-Meter" when adjusted properly.You can even adjust the tone level,for a good response to your voice.Ergonomics are good,only the changing of the 9V battery could have been a bit easier (loosen 4!!! screws to change the batt is stupid!).In my opinion the best sounding mic in combination with a FT-1000MP.Forget all these equalizers & Heil stuff, this is only hype. If you want a real good sounding mic for a reasonable price (bought mine on ebay for 30 US$)go and get a Teardrop M575.If you need help wiring up this baby to your rig, let me know!
KC9FDH Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2004 02:18 Send this review to a friend
I would buy a dozen.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing kicks ass on CB, especially if you have mic gain. I've been a CB'er since I was 12 and I know what a good mic sounds like. This isn't even argued, if you know what you're doing with CB, you automatically have this mic, it's like unwritten law. As far as ham, I haven't used it for any applications, yet. Most of the ham rigs I have are just VHF/UHF which comes with it's own mic and keypad on it so it makes to sense to use it. On AM though, this baby is king.

I'd say this mic is the improved version of the D-104 (even though that mic has be around before I was born, lol) just because it's a nice looking microphone and the D-104 is just plain ugly. Not to mention you have external tone and volume.

A word of caution, transmitting when the radio is off (for instance you left it on you car seat in a funny position where it holds the mic key) drains the battery in a night. And if you ratchet jaw like I do on 11m, be sure you have an extra 9V in the glove box, you just might need it after a while.

73's all! -Brad
N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2003 10:31 Send this review to a friend
An excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the previous review, I did a Google search and found this microphone for $40 at a CB store in Michigan. Once I received it, I rewired the PCB so that the 9 volts would be taken from my Ten Tec Jupiter's mic jack. (I had to shoehorn the PCB out of the mic housing, cut a couple of traces, reroute the +9v line, and add a jumper. Fortunately, the mic instructions come with a schematic, which can also be found on Astatic's website.) A 4 pin mic plug was then installed on the cord.

With the mic put back together I got on the air and found that with my "standard" Jupiter settings of 85% mic gain and 40% processing, the best results were with the volume slider at 50% and the tone slider at 30% (from the lower position of max bass).

I asked everyone I could for an audio report and consistently got very good reports. I also got an unsolicited positive report. This is not a high-fi mic, but its (somewhat adjustable) frequency response is just what you want for effective voice communications.

I think this is a great bargain, considering what some microphones cost these days; but get one while you can, as one website stated that this product has been discontinued by Astatic.
NJ6F Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2003 03:31 Send this review to a friend
The Best Ceramic Handheld Mic with Gain & Tone Control !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a ceramic cartridge without all the base station weight...a nice handheld with balanced performance enough base, mid and highs.
This one does it, hands down..... for my FT100D works perfect. Set rig gain to max 100, set Xmit DSP to either 2 for more brilliance/highs or 1 DSP for more base. Then just use the 575-M6 mic with the 9 volt battery with gain at 7 and tone slider at 2.
Its perfect......and for you HF Pack low power battery guys...this is the mic for drive your rig decently... its not just the tone, its the drive that gets you there. I had stations telling me I had powerful audio even when the signal was down to nothing they said the audio did not change... Great for all rigs. No Processing needed but if you must for the DX have fun. I would just put the xmit DSP on FT100 to highlight the highs... the mic has plenty of bass to compliment the extra highs. No need for all that Heil mic stuff...all is adjustable with one mic.
A real find....73 all. Rich NJ6F
M5TAW Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2003 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Great mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used my teardrop mic with FT 747, Alinco DX70 with great results. More pleasant audio than standard mic and more output = more contacts. Very well made mic and the 9 volt battery lasts well. Looking forward to wiring upto my 817, should be a good combination as the 817 needs more drive in my opinion.
STEVE Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2002 16:31 Send this review to a friend
nice mike  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works well on dx70 & 570,well made a real treat when used mobile
G0UIH Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2000 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Superb Mobile Mic  Time owned: unknown months
Ditch the "Standard" mic on your mobile setup.
You wont be dissapointed with this product.
Its very happy, especially with HF mobiles, punching through without too much "Background Noise". I have run mine with many HF thing on setup, run the HF rig with NO processor.
I wouldn't be without it!